windows 2000

basilico

Hello everyone, I wanted to install windows 2000 sp3 on hard disk 300 gb ide but there's no way farglelo see .. I also tried to partition the hard disk with partitions 2 and 4 gb but nothing. And 'possible to do something?

thanks

I personally cheat because I can't stand waiting for full formats. I have a copy of Windows XP SP3 on hand so I launch its setup and I do my partitioning and formatting, once it's done formatting, I pop the disk out, wait for the error and then reboot the computer. Then I put my Windows 2000 disk in and when it comes to partitioning and formatting, I just say leave as is with no changes.

@

I think that basilico's problems is not about formatting but rather about the lack of 48-bit LBA support in Win2k ;) To enable it you've got to integrate SP4 and then change the SETUPREG.HIV as described in the topic I linked to.

Of course it's true that doing a full format takes time... but how often do you reinstall the system anyway? Also everything depends on how big is your system partition. Mine is just 10 GB so it doesn't take that long to format it.

@tomasz86

I see! Well, my method would take care of the problem as well since XP's setup automatically takes care of that issue, at least if it has SP2 integrated into it, not sure about the earlier versions. Luckily I haven't had to reinstall my system lately but there were times I'd do it once a month. I use my entire hard drive partition for Windows so that would be 160GB but I have an external hard drive that I keep all my important data on and saved to so if I break my system, I'm not too worried because all my important stuff is in a safe location anyway.

I don't think that XP's setup can help anything in this particular issue :whistle: Even if you set up all partitions with it and then switch to Win2k the 2K's setup will still be unable to detect any drives / partitions larger than 137.4 GB.

In my computer I've got 4 disks:

1) 60 GB SSD -> system + programs + some other files

2) 67 GB RAID (2 x fast HDD) -> important files + Windows 8 partition (20 GB)

3) 500 GB HDD (slow) -> less important files, backup

My system partition is 10 GB and thanks to its small size I can make a backup image very easily (using Clonezilla). If something goes wrong then 5 minutes and everything is back to the proper state. Saving the image also takes only 10 minutes.

Edit: I've also got an external USB HDD which is used specifically for backup.

Edited by tomasz86

I don't think that XP's setup can help anything in this particular issue :whistle: Even if you set up all partitions with it and then switch to Win2k the 2K's setup will still be unable to detect any drives / partitions larger than 137.4 GB.
+1...

Without the "fix" Win2k will "choke" and risk of corruption (e.g. a partition with the "limit" but extending BEYOND it). Kind of like the similar "problem" Win9x folks RIGHT NOW are having trouble understanding.

@

I think that basilico's problems is not about formatting but rather about the lack of 48-bit LBA support in Win2k ;) To enable it you've got to integrate SP4 and then change the SETUPREG.HIV as described in the topic I linked to.

Of course it's true that doing a full format takes time... but how often do you reinstall the system anyway? Also everything depends on how big is your system partition. Mine is just 10 GB so it doesn't take that long to format it.

sorry I omitted to say that the sp4 I have it but I've never changed that file .. I understand that there is a topic on this but can not find it

thanks

Actually judging from what has been posted, the issue is that the hard disk is not seen at all (not even with a small partition like 2 or 4 Gb).

@basilico

Is it by any chance a SATA disk?

If this is the case you either:

• supply the SATA drivers on a "F6 floppy" (or similar)
  • integrate the SATA drivers
  • set the BIOS to "IDE compatibility mode" (or similar setting)

Otherwise (AFAICR), there is no problem normally in starting the Windows setup, create a senceful sized partition for the OS, install it normally, and, after install, update the running system to SP4, eable BIG LBA and do the rest of the partitioning.

jaclaz

Actually judging from what has been posted, the issue is that the hard disk is not seen at all (not even with a small partition like 2 or 4 Gb).

@basilico

Is it by any chance a SATA disk?

If this is the case you either:

• supply the SATA drivers on a "F6 floppy" (or similar)
  • integrate the SATA drivers
  • set the BIOS to "IDE compatibility mode" (or similar setting)

Otherwise (AFAICR), there is no problem normally in starting the Windows setup, create a senceful sized partition for the OS, install it normally, and, after install, update the running system to SP4, eable BIG LBA and do the rest of the partitioning.

jaclaz

no it is not and if the sata hard drive is less au 300 gb then it works, I tried with another disc of a friend always equal 300 gb but if I put a 160gb can see it all.