XP doesn't boot, STOP ERROR 0x0000007b

N30N

I bought a computer the other day from a neighbour for £5. Now you'll probably be questioning why I'd buy a £5 computer - Because it was a complete steal. It's a custom build PC, although I think fairly old because it only has 1GB of RAM, an Intel Dual Core PSU and a Nvidia GeForce 7300 video card. I'ts got a really nice case with tonnes of LED's and strip lights, was well worth the money.

Anyway, I was told it wasn't working when I bought it - So I took it to my house and plugged it in to find that it did boot up. It all went smoothly as the Windows XP loadscreen came on, but then it bluescreens and reboots. I press one of the keys repeatedly (my memory is hazy) so that I can disable automatic restarts on system failure. I do that and I get a STOP 7B error code. My first thought was to grab the installation disk. I do so, and boot from the CD - I'm pretty sure the option wasn't there to use the recovery console so I pressed enter to set up XP. It was somebody elses HDD anyway and I didn't want their crap. When it loads up, it tells me there isn't any boot devices installed.

I grab another HDD and plug it in with the other one, and the same thing happens.

I open up my current PC, and drag my drives out. I continue to individually load each HDD into my computer and once again load up the installation disk. They both register on my machine. I format them both, and then install XP on one of them on my rig. I then remove them from my computer and put them back inside the £5 jobbo. I insert the XP disk again and when it loads up it still tells me that there aren't any drives installed in the computer.

It might be something simple, but I thought seeing as the drives were fine on my computer that this may be something more complex.

What do you guys think? Any help would be great. I know I've been fairly vague but I'll try my best to me more specific if need be.

Thanks!

Edited by Tripredacus

You say "fairly old" does it have a floppy drive ? If yes, you could try to reinstall XP using what is called "F6 drivers".

You need the SATA controllers or go into the BIOS

He meant SATA controller drivers, you'd need to get them from the motherboard's manufacturer's site (put them on a floppy and press F6 at the beginning of XP install process when prompted to). Bios option is easier though if applicable.

Yes, that's what I meant.

BTW, edit your topic title. " Need some help!" will get you in trouble. It's against the rules. Use something descriptive about your problem.

Use something descriptive about your problem.

Like:

Need some help with a £5 Pc !

:w00t:

;)

Seriously, a title like:

XP doesn't boot, STOP ERROR 0x0000007b

would IMHO do nicely :).

@N30N

To clarify.

IDE/PATA drives work on *any* machine, even before installing specific motherboard/chipset and bus drivers because the hardware is supported by a basic "one-size-fits-all" set of drivers already included in the OS CD.

SATA/AHCI drives need in most cases a set of specific drivers integrated to the OS CD (or loaded through the "F6 floppy" provision).

Installing on another machine and "porting" the install is the MOST difficult thing you could have attempted (please read as "it won't work") :ph34r: due to the HAL, XP installs are deeply linked to the hardware and "moving" an install, while doable, is "advanced-advanced".

You have five options (in order of difficulty according to my view):

1. access the BIOS and set the hard disks as "IDE emulation mode" and install normaly (but you will lose some speed in disk operations)
  2. make a "F6 floppy disk" with the appropriate driver and use it at install
  3. integrate the whole set of BTS Driverspack for XP (i.e. burn a new CD with the added set of drivers)
  4. integrate the specific driver to the install CD (i.e. burn a new CD with the added driver)
  5. See option #1:access the BIOS and set the hard disks as "IDE emulation mode" and install normaly BUT later install the appropriate driver and change the setting in BIOS

Choose one and ask for help on that one, if needed :).

jaclaz

I'll be nice and fix your title this time.... but next time I might have to go read the forum rules again. :angel

WHY would you "go read the forum rules again"? :w00t:

You should have learned them by heart by now ;).

:lol:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz