nlite, emachine t2958 xp dvd

gkofus

emachine T2958 DVD includes two folders - I386 and I386DIST neither of which nlite recognizes as the I386 folder it requires. Renaming the former as anything else, for example - I386a, then renaming the latter (I386DIST) as I386 allows nlite to proceed. However when the newly built DVD loads and begins installation, the installation cannot find a multitude of necessary files.

The original I386 contains folders: system32, Win SxS and files: biosinfo, boot*, ntdetect, setup*, syscmdcon, txtsetup*.

I386DIST contains folders: ASMS, COMPDATA, SYSTEM32, DRW, LANG and files: CAB, some .ini, .exe, .dll

any advice?

thanks

Appears to be a Restore DVD - may not work.

The I386 is a "special built" Folder for booting into the Restore Facility. The I386DIST may be the correct one but may have some files missing and/or modified.

nLite does not create DVD images - it creates CD images. You can't burn a CD Image to a DVD.

IF you have the eMachine (where did you get this Restore DVD from?) then look for an I386 folder in the C-Drive - that may be a better starting point (may need a couple of files located elsewhere on the HDD or may need "created").

nLite does not create DVD images - it creates CD images. You can't burn a CD Image to a DVD.

An ISO is an ISO. I only use DVDs and nLite's ISOs work just fine on mine.

An ISO is an ISO. I only use DVDs and nLite's ISOs work just fine on mine.
How odd! I've never tried burning a CD-ISO to a DVD, so I won't dispute it (light research reveals same). HOWEVER, opening an nLite ISO Image with IsoBuster shows that it's a CD, whereas a Nero DVD ISO Image with IsoBuster shows that it's a DVD. I guess my "assumption" was based on that and further "assume" that the detection is based upon Content Size. My error... :blushing:

Side notes -

Depending on the Burner that has the functionality, one can Set Book Type for DVD+R to DVD-ROM - DVD-R doesn't have that ability regardless of the Burner.

The Win2k3 Resource Kit has both "cdburn.exe" and "dvdburn.exe" programs, meaning (apparently) "depends on the media you are burning an ISO to" (but "content size will still matter").

I don't mess with settings. ImgBurn detects the image type and configures the drive automatically. I primarily use mini DVD-RW discs (1.4 GB capacity), but I've used CD-R, CD-RW and mini DVD-R also. No apparent difference other than capacity as long as the appropriate drive is used--DVDs obviously can't be read by CD-ROM drives, same with Blu-ray and non-BR drives.

any advice?

Yes :yes: .

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

only you won't like it :no: .

The "best" way is to recreate a "plain" XP install CD by "assembling" toghether files that you have either in the \I386 or in the \I386DIST (or possibly, if you have access to the hard disk, on the hard disk).

Then you try slipstreaming a servicepack that will hopefully fill any "gap".

It is normally perfectly possible and here is a (long and wordy :ph34r: ) thread about a success with this approach and some very detailed steps:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24161&hl=

jaclaz