NLite newbie - driver integration

rjolbrich

Hello again,

Ponch,

I'm using NLite to create a slipstreamed CD containing an upgrade to

Windows XP Pro SP3 from an XP Pro Gold CD and a file containing SP3.

Submix8c,

I purchased the upgrade CD (XP Pro Gold) over Ebay.

It was listed as an upgrade, but the CD is not labeled "Upgrade".

It looks very genuine with all the Microsoft holography.

It came in the standard Windows XP packaging (minus the box), and it was sealed.

I started the upgrade from Windows XP Home.

I did not boot from the slipstreamed CD.

I've attached the setupp.ini file.

The setupp.ini file is exactly the same on the XP Pro Gold CD and

on the slipstreamed XP Pro Sp3 CD.

The slipstreamed CD did ask if I wanted a upgrade or a clean install.

I chose upgrade.

Anything else?

<edit>

I forgot one other piece of information.

I formatted my hard disk and installed a fresh

OS from my OEM Windows XP Home SP3 CD.

I immediately ran the slipstreamed XP Pro SP3 CD upgrade

and it completed with no problems! Why is it not working

only on my full hard disk, not the clean install?

SETUPP-xpgoldCD.txt

Edited by rjolbrich

IE7 or IE8 on your running XP Home might be problem as well. Try integrating IE8 to your XP Pro SP3 with the addon you can make from this site and use it in the "Hotfixes addons and UpdatePacks" menu. Note that ONLY integrating SP3 (with nLite or manually) on a clean source is not considered "altering the source" so you can go from there to proceed with nLite.

(sigh...) Appears that your Product Key (that you DO NOT want to EVER post anywhere!) "jives" with the SETUPP.INI to allow only an Upgrade rather than Clean Install.

Usually, you can attempt a Clean Install and "swap" the "previous OS" CD in (temporarily) to allow it to go "clean". Apparently, not in your case(?).

There may be a way to "hack" it, but I doubt it would work anyway... (and don't want to go into/discuss it)

...and you said "The slipstreamed CD did ask if I wanted a upgrade or a clean install.". It probably meant(?for clean) on another partition (if available)?

The only attempt I've made at using Upgrade vs Full was to use a different key (using XP Home) and swapping the SETUPP.INI between them. Been a while, but I might have just used the Full and the Upgrade Key.

Bottom line, with an Upgrade Key, you're probably "stuck" with Upgrade Only.

Edited by submix8c

I might get more and more confused here (still need some sleep) but... is it not what the OP tries to do ? An upgrade of his running (but not "clean/out of the box") XP Home SP3 ?

Edited by Ponch

Hello again,

Submix8c,

I'm somewhat confused by your last reply!?

Are you stating, positively, that I do have an upgrade CD?

That's what I want! Why doesn't it work on my "full" system

but works on a "clean" system?

Thanks

Hello again,

Ponch,

I'm using NLite to create a slipstreamed CD containing an upgrade to

Windows XP Pro SP3 from an XP Pro Gold CD and a file containing SP3.

Submix8c,

I purchased the upgrade CD (XP Pro Gold) over Ebay.

It was listed as an upgrade, but the CD is not labeled "Upgrade".

It looks very genuine with all the Microsoft holography.

It came in the standard Windows XP packaging (minus the box), and it was sealed.

I started the upgrade from Windows XP Home.

I did not boot from the slipstreamed CD.

I've attached the setupp.ini file.

The setupp.ini file is exactly the same on the XP Pro Gold CD and

on the slipstreamed XP Pro Sp3 CD.

The slipstreamed CD did ask if I wanted a upgrade or a clean install.

I chose upgrade.

Anything else?

<edit>

I immediately ran the slipstreamed XP Pro SP3 CD upgrade

and it completed with no problems! Why is it not working

only on my full hard disk, not the clean install?

I might get more and more confused here (still need some sleep) but... is it not what the OP tries to do ? An upgrade of his running (but not "clean/out of the box") XP Home SP3 ?
Hello again,

Submix8c,

I'm somewhat confused by your last reply!?

Are you stating, positively, that I do have an upgrade CD?

That's what I want! Why doesn't it work on my "full" system

but works on a "clean" system?

Thanks

... and now I'm confused... maybe a language barrier?

1 - You started with XP Home(?) SP2 (which had SP3 installed...) / Home SP3(?)

2 - You want to install an XP Pro RTM Slipstreamed with SP3 as an "upgrade"(?) or do you mean EMPTY HDD/"Clean"(?)

I'm trying to upgrade my Win XP Home Sp3 machine to Win Xp Pro...

I tried an upgrade through slipstreaming...

(repeated for clarity)

The slipstreamed CD did ask if I wanted a upgrade or a clean install. I chose upgrade.

If you have Home already installed then you may Upgrade (with either a Full/NotVolume(?but should if Vol) or an Upgrade Version) to Pro while Home is running ("chose upgrade") and it should "change" your Home to Pro.

Your SETUPP.INI indicates it is not a Volume Version or an OEM Version (i.e. Full or Upgrade).

Upgrade Version should not allow a "clean" (booted to with an empty HDD the installed) without having some preexisting proof of qualifying Upgrade Path (see link given).

Full Version will do either Upgrade or "Clean".

There is a "tool" to "decompile" (decrypt) the OEMBIOS.CAT that might help confirm that it's not OEM or Volume (in spite of the SETUPP.INI contents). There is also a tool to check your 25-character Product Key to confirm whether it's OEM or not (Google - chkpids XP - it's on SourceForge).

Now... can you clarify which operation your intent is? (I'm fairly familiar with XP/2K3, but don't really recognize the "extradata" line in your attached file - APPEARS to be the Pro).

DOH!!! Simpler! - Post the Volume Label of your XP Pro CD!!! When you put it in the CD-Reader, just "Exit" the AutoPlay and use Explorer to display it. Look here for "known labels"...

(wow!!!)

Edited by submix8c

I formatted my hard disk and installed a fresh OS from my OEM Windows XP Home SP3 CD.

I immediately ran the slipstreamed XP Pro SP3 CD upgrade and it completed with no problems! Why is it not working only on my full hard disk, not the clean install?

to Submix8c; that bit was for TEST.

to rjolbrich;

Aside the fact using double negatives confuses people ( "it's not working... not on the clean install" means "it is well working on the clean install") is the clean install performed with the same XP Home version as you have on your running system (same install cd) ?

Hello again,

Here's a summary of my posts,

I'm trying to upgrade a Windows XP Home Sp3 system to Windows XP Pro.

(There are a couple of features in Pro that are not available in Home that I now need).

I do not want a clean install but an upgrade.

I purchased a Windows XP Pro upgrade CD over Ebay which turned

out to be Windows XP Pro Gold (v2002). Here are the things I tried.

1) I tried to upgrade to Pro from the purchased CD. It immediately refused

to upgrade stating the upgrade OS (Pro) was older than the installed OS (Home)..

2) I read up on slipstreaming. I created a slipstreamed upgrade CD

using Autostreamer from the purchased CD and a file containing SP3.

Upon trying to use the slipstreamed CD for an upgrade, I received this error

(from a previous post):

Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration

information. This indicates an internal setup error.

I then discovered NLite and created another slipstreamed CD with Sp3

and tried a second upgrade. It gave the same error as the Autostreamer-produced CD.

3) Just for the heck of it, I formatted my hard disk and reinstalled my original OEM XP Home SP3

OS (clean, no user files). I immediately used my slipstreamed XP Pro CD to attempt an upgrade to XP Pro

IT WORKED. I need to discover why the clean XP Home OS successfully upgraded to XP Pro but

my "full" (with user files,drivers, etc.) XP Home OS will not upgrade successfully to XP Pro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submix8c,

I'll try your suggestions next.

<edit>

The volume label for the CD is WXPFPP_EN.

From your given link that is Windows XP Pro RTM (Gold) Retail !!!!

Thanks

Edited by rjolbrich

Clear - ;)

"Clean" Home SP3 -> Pro SP3 (slipped) Upgrade works (as probably "Clean Pro SP3" would, since apparently "Full")

Preexisting XP Home (with all of your settings, added software, etc.) -> Pro Upgrade does not.

Due to the following message

Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information. This indicates an internal setup error.
Read this. Hopefully, you have backed up the ORIGINAL install and can restore it for another attempt. (note: don't bother with the link given within the link I gave; irrelevant). As you can see, some piece of Hardware (or Driver for Hardware) is working with Home but not Pro (very odd...). Perhaps integrating the specific drivers in Home into your Pro may "cure" the problem, i.e., go here, select XP as OS, and download them, "unpack" them (for integration purposes - requires "start from scratch" if you slipped SP3 with nLite - if manually then use the slipped one with nLite) by whatever means (find Universal Extractor on MSFN and use it - ;)). Find each Folder after "unpack" that has an INF-suffixed file and during integration of Drivers, point to each INF file (the "Intel INF Installation" one FIRST!).

Please note that if you have any add-in cards (PCI, PCI-e, or USB-attached Hardware (Printer, etc) that drivers will need to be "found" for them. Some may not integrate (e.g. HP Printers).

Here is the "odd" thing - if Drivers are working on XP Home, then the should not matter during Upgrade as the Drivers are already there - See this{/url] (MS Upgrade Advisor). That would leave some piece of Software that's hosing you.

You may have to uninstall your Software (non-MS...) and reinstall later, so be prepared (CD's, Install EXE's, etc. and keys).

...an epiphany - you might be able to do a Boot to CD and do a "Repair" Install to successfully upgrade. However, you may have to "trick" Home into thinking it's Pro to do it. WARNING! I have never done the "trick" so be forewarned!

(??? odd, very odd...)

Final note - you might want to use Device Manager and "Show All Devices" to find out if some piece of Hardware WAS installed that never worked and was subsequently removed. Also (curiosity) what is the nnnnn-XXX-(whatever) X-value in your Control Panel->System? (you could be trying to upgrade an OEM version - is the X-value OEM?).

It's one thing to be able to Clean Install, it's another to do an Upgrade - we'll try to help you through (jeez, I hate stabbing in the dark... AND being wordy...).

Edited by submix8c

Hello again,

I won't be wordy today!

Again, today I installed a fresh copy of OEM Windows XP Home Sp3.

I followed that with an installation of all essential and add-on drivers

(essentially all my original version drivers). Next, I configured a network

connection and firewall. With this setup, I ran the XP Pro slipstreamed SP3

CD. The upgrade to XP Pro was successful (even though the upgrade

did not configure my graphics card correctly). I guess my current problem

is either the registry, the WINDOWS folder, or some user file or setting.

I guess it is time to be methodical and repeatedly add chunks of my

folders and files until the upgrade burps!

More info to come,

Hello again,

Ponch,

My pre-existing system has IE8.

Anyone,

I've been busy since my last post trying different things.

I've made a file and folder backup of the C:\Windows folder on my preexisting system (OEM XP Home Sp3).

I've also made a separate backup of the "System State" on my preexisting system.

These are in addition to my full image backup of the preexisting system from a month ago.

I've made an image backup of my minimal system (Fresh OEM XP Home SP3 with all original drivers

installed plus a configured network connection, and a configured firewall). This system will

upgrade successfully to XP Pro with the slipstreamed XP Pro SP3 CD.

Experiment 1:

I restored my minimal system. I then restored the C:/Windows folder and the System State from

the preexisting system backup. A bootup was successful (with a minor irritant). I had to activate Windows.

Next, I tried the upgrade with the slipstreamed XP Pro. It paused at the same place during the upgrade and

gave the same error as before:

Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information.

This indicates an internal setup error.

Experiment 2:

I restored my minimal system. I then restored only the System State from the preexisting system backup.

After bootup I was asked to activate Windows, but answering yes to the question would log me off

the system. I could not get logged in to try the XP Pro upgrade.

Experiment 3:

I restored my minimal system. I then restored only the C:/Windows folder from the preexisting system backup.

Again, as in Experiment 1, the upgrade failed at the same point with the same error message.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Before Experiment 3, I hoped that Experiment 3 would succeed so I could conclude I had a registry problem.

I'm not so sure now. I don't know what to try next

Thanks,

I've made an image backup of my minimal system (Fresh OEM XP Home SP3 with all original drivers

installed plus a configured network connection, and a configured firewall). This system will

upgrade successfully to XP Pro with the slipstreamed XP Pro SP3 CD.

Why not just stop there? You have XP Pro SP3 now installed. I'm just not clear why you are insisting on an upgrade from your old system. I guess you're trying to avoid having to reinstall your other various software? That might be easier rather than continuing with your experiments. If there are particular apps that your fear will be trouble to reinstall, maybe it will be better to ask questions about how to do that?

(As was mentioned earlier, you should have also been able to have installed XP Pro SP3 directly on a formatted HDD without having to restore your minimal system first therefore havig a truly fresh start with a clean slate.)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

My pre-existing system has IE8.
(sigh...) that could be part of the problem. Go here and follow instructions closely to use nLite with the pre-slipstreamed (manual method) Pro SP3 and include all updates - Do not slip WMP11 and do slipstream IE8 according to instructions given. Other MS software (e.g. dotNet) and non-MS should theoretically stay "in place".

Hello again,

Bphlpt,

I have over 200GB of installed programs on my hard drive (yes, that's GB).

That includes over 100GB of CAD programs that I do not want to install (from scratch) again.

Program-by-program reinstallation is not an option!!!

If I restore all the user files I still need to restore the System State (registry) in order

to have all the software function properly!

Thanks

<edit>

I posted on another forum and received a response from a person

who claimed all RTM versions are pirated (at least those that are available now).

Does anyone have a comment on this?

Thanks,

Edited by rjolbrich