NLite newbie - driver integration

rjolbrich

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my Win XP Home Sp3 machine to Win Xp Pro

I tried an upgrade through slipstreaming with Autostreamer

(XP Pro Gold slipstreamed with XP3).

It failed. I searched for the error message and learned that I

need a program to include device drivers. Enter NLite.

I'm slightly confused with importing drivers.

If I choose the single file option I'm presented with a choice

of only .inf files!

If I choose the folder option I may import files of many extensions!

My first try at Nlite included chosen folders from Windows/system32/drivers,

windows/system32/drvstore, and windows/inf. When I started the

integration Nlite displayed that I was adding mainly .inf and .pnf files.

At completion I had an .iso file of 618MB.

My second attempt included all chosen folders from windows/system32.

When I started the integration this time NLite displayed that I was adding

all kinds of extensions (inf,exe,dll,sys,ocx,cpl,log,sav,etc.,etc.,etc.)

It produced a huge .iso file (>1000MB).

This is important to me since the first attempt only located 1/2 to 2/3 of

my driver collection! The second attempt was much closer to locating all my drivers.

What am I missing in usage of NLite ? How do I track down where the extra

drivers are located ? I know to look in Device Manager to find the location

of the drivers, but they are all listed as .sys and .dll files. I don't need all

the other files that are picked up by windows/system32!

Help please???????

DriverPacks - http://forum.driverpacks.net/ and http://driverpacks.net/downloads will help. Problem is, they don't recommend the use of nLite.

RyanVM Integrator - http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/ (download the beta version - it is the latest and works fine - no updates in years). Updates/Addons/Etc can be found at: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/

I've used AutoStreamer successfully to update my two XP Pro w/SP2 CDs to XP Pro w/SP3 CDs with NO problems. Plus updated friends and neighbors also using AutoStreamer with no problems. (Latest is version 1.0.3.3)

You're doing it all wrong. Go to the manufacturers website of your motherboard/nic card/sound card/video card or PC if it's a name brand and download the drivers. Extract them so you have the .inf files and then add them to nLite.

I'm trying to upgrade my Win XP Home Sp3 machine to Win Xp Pro

I tried an upgrade through slipstreaming with Autostreamer (XP Pro Gold slipstreamed with XP3).

It failed. I searched for the error message and learned that I need a program to include device drivers.

You will be able to get Windows XP or XP Pro installed without having integrated any device driver. Only exception: Your system HDD/SSD is running in AHCI or RAID mode. In the latter case you need to load (F6) or integrate the appropriate AHCI or RAID textmode driver, which contains a special textmode driver file named TXTSETUP.OEM.

If the Setup of the original XP Pro CD with integrated SP3 should not detect your hdd, you have to integrate just the missing SATA AHCI or RAID textmode driver.

Look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" or - if applicable - the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" of your XP Device Manager for the listed AHCI or RAID Controller and get the actual driver for it from the manufacturer of your mainboard or - even better - from the vendor of the SATA Controller Chip..

So you have just to integrate this single AHCI or RAID driver as TEXTMODE and to burn the created new ISO file as bootable CD.

What am I missing in usage of NLite ? How do I track down where the extra drivers are located ?
You cannot do that manually. If you want to extract all in-use drivers, you should let a tool like DriverGrabber do that.

For a proper fresh OS installation you don't need all the extra drivers except the correct SATA driver for the AHCI or RAID Controller of your system, but you should grab the SATA driver from the vendor of the chipset and should not collect the needed files (INF, CAT, SYS and OEM) from within your currently running XP partition.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

I believe SATA/RAID drivers usually have BOTH a TXTSETUP.OEM AND an INF file...
All device drivers packages contain one or more INF files with the informations about how the associated real driver (=SYS file) has to be installed, but the INF files will not be read by the XP Setup during the first (=TEXTMODE) part of the OS installation. The XP Setup uses them during the hardware detection and this takes place within the second (=GUIMODE) part of the installation.

Only the textmode driver packages additionally contain a file named TXTSETUP.OEM, which contains the needed informations to let the XP Setup detect the HDD/SSD already during the first (=GUIMODE) part of the installation procedure, that means before Setups starts the first reboot..

Although nLite doesn't search for the TXTSETUP.OEM file, it will detect and read it during the driver integration procedure. As soon as nLite has detected a file named TXTSETUP.OEM, it will show it as textmode driver. If the TXTSETUP.OEM file may support more than 1 mass storage Controller, nLite will present a popup window with all possible Controllers, and the user has to decide, which one he wants to be integrated. This will never happen with an INF file.

Hello again,

I do not have ACHI enabled in the BIOS (No RAID present either).

I assume you get the SATA drivers from the chipset download, correct?

For me it's Intel P35 which is "3" series for Intel, correct?

I downloaded their file "infinst911autol.exe, correct?

I ended up with a large folder of .inf's.

NLite recognized one driver (Intel,PNP,system,9.1.0.1012,2/2/09)

Does this sound right?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

Thanks

Researched your mobo and found the manual.

Gigabyte offers NO sata drivers for your board.

They assume you are going to go into bios and under integrated peripherals set SATA AHCI mode to disabled. You issue may be the drivers you are integrating and the way you are doing it.

I do not have ACHI enabled in the BIOS (No RAID present either).
In this case you do not need to integrate any driver. You will be able to get Windows XP properly installed by booting off the original XP-CD with integrated SP2 or - even better - SP3.
I assume you get the SATA drivers from the chipset download, correct?
No, the SATA Controllers will use the XP in-box IDE driver named PCIIDE.SYS.

The Intel chipset device software (= INF Update Utility) doesn't contain any any real driver (= .SYS file) at all, but just information files (with the extension .INF).

I downloaded their file "infinst911autol.exe, correct? I ended up with a large folder of .inf's.

NLite recognized one driver (Intel,PNP,system,9.1.0.1012,2/2/09)

nLite will copy and integrate all INF files, which are within the folder named "All", but the XP hardware detection will only install the suitable and needed ones.

Since Windows XP and XP Pro are using exactly the same drivers, you will save a lot of time, if you download a tool like DriverMax and let it collect all in-use drivers of your currently running Windows XP. After having done a fresh install of Windows XP Pro, you can easily reinstall all formerly used drivers.by offering the collected driver package.

It failed. I searched for the error message and learned that I need a program to include device drivers.

That is quite a poor description of your problem, if I may say. :rolleyes: We still don't know what is really stopping you. Also please attach your "Last session.ini" file.

What do you mean by "XP Gold", it's an ambiguous concept. I don't know what you are hoping to gain from your "upgrade" (other than a clean install).

So-called "XP Gold"=XP RTM (Release To Manufacturing, i.e. no service pack, buggy Command Console, and lacking DotNet among other items, all available from MS if needed). XP-SP1 (the CD) was the first to "fix" the "bug" and offer DotNet.

Indeed, Gigabyte does not offer SATA drivers for your MoBo, however they can be obtained from Intel directly (ICH9 SATA - Intel Matrix Storage Drivers). Here is a hint and a direct link to Intel, if needed.

Hello again,

I went ahead and used Nlite to slipstream/burn a CD

for XP Pro SP3 (no driver integration) .I think I'll explain the

behavior of the resulting upgrade process. Eventuallly, the

upgrade process gave the same error as Autostreamer.

After burning the CD and starting the upgrade

installation, the process proceedes through "Collecting

Information", " Dynamic Update", and "Preparing

Installation" with no problems. My machine rebooted

and returned to "Preparing Installation". A progress

bar titled "Progress" quickly filled to about 90% and

the system hung at that point for about 10 minutes.

Next, I received the following error:

Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration

information. This indicates an internal setup error.

At this point there is only one option - to quit the installation.

My machine rebooted, returned to XP Setup, and prompted:

Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following

installation: C:/Windows "Microsoft WIndows XP Home"

To retry press ENTER.

After pressing ENTER, I received a new screen with a progress bar,

and Setup named and copied many files. Next I received:

"Please wait while setup initializes your Windows XP configuration

At the bottom of the screen I saw "Loading default configuration",

then "Loading information file", then "Saving configuration". At this

point again the process seemed to hang for about 10 minutes.

Eventually I saw the original error given above:

Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration

information. This indicates an internal setup error.

I seemed to be caught in a loop. This has "fowled" my hard drive

and I can't boot back to a full Windows installation. I do, however,

have a backup that I've used to get back to Windows XP Home SP3.

Can someone provide some more advice? I'll see if I can find

information on the error through Google.

Thanks again

Can someone provide some more advice?

I'll try (again). :whistle:

It is not clear why you should (or should not) be using nLite, I think the first problem is the fact that Windows XP Home might not be "qualifying" for upgrade to Windows XP Pro. Maybe someone can confirm this.

How to Slipstream Directly (no nLite involved). Unfortunately, it suggests using Commercial tools. There is, however, an alternative...

To extract the Boot Image, you can use (e.g.) Bart's Boot Image Extractor. To create an ISO Image you can use Imgburn to first create the ISO (Step#1) then Burn that created image to CD (Step#2). Also note that the Burn Speed should be LOWERED to about 8x (in spite of the article in the first link).

A side note - Home is definitely upgradeable to Pro if it is NOT an OEM XP Pro. OEM CD's are strictly made to install on a CLEAN HDD, and are not able to Upgrade a preexisting installation (certain files/folders are usually missing).

Please post the contents of your SETUPP.INI file (located in the CD's I386 folder) to determine if this is OEM (can't upgrade), Retail, or Upgrade.

edit - and maybe if it has string "VOL" in it, it may not be(? don't remember).

A PDF file Licensing "Primer"

edit2 - DOH! Also can't exactly remember, BUT to Upgrade, it should be run from XP Home, and not "booted" from (WINNT32.EXE vs WINNT.EXE)... You should have a selection that says "Upgrade (Recommended)".

edit3 - Upgrade Paths

Edited by submix8c