Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Hmm, I've really got no idea why the drivers aren't installed properly during system setup (but work later after installing them again manually). Maybe analysing log files after system installation could help to find out what the culprit is.

You can use Unknown Device Identifier to look for Hardware IDs of the PCI Simple Communications Controller.

As for PAE, I've used it on my system with both 4GB and 8GB of RAM and haven't experienced any issues with system performance but it's all hardware and driver specific. Maybe one of the drivers doesn't work properly with PAE enabled and causes the lag? Are you 100% sure that the lag doesn't happen when PAE is disabled? How much memory do those applications use? Have you tried to add the "/3GB" switch to boot.ini like this?

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect /3GB /PAE

And to make it worse, I'm getting out of memory errors on Sound recorder!!!

NEW EDIT: I've bit the bullet and disabled PAE (for now, will re enable it when I get 8GB of RAM) and the mystery lagging is gone. But Sound Recorder is still asking for memory when there is already plenty. I'm guessing we need the Win2k recorder back.

Do you mean sndrec32.exe? How about trying out this one instead?

Edited by tomasz86

100% sure. No lag, at all. But I will try your /3GB ram trick.

And thanks for the Identifier, I'll run it and see what I get.

My drivers are fine. But some programs (g.g. Advanced SystemCare 6's Performance monitor) lag the system a bit. Nothing else. Sometimes the "System" process sucks up 80% of the CPU, and that's what causes the lag. But it does it for no reason at all.

Edit: The sound recorder you gave me also gives me the same problems, maybe cause I don't have a mic plugged in? :P

But in that case, it shouldn't have worked at all. I'll try it with a mic, and see the results.

NEW EDIT: I tried your /3GB trick and it just made things worse. Win2K had trouble logging on, the Explorer wouldn't load, and no other program worked. And I found out a different problem with PAE, when I go to standby, everything becomes unstable. So, back to no PAE.

Hibernation doesn't seem to work, it goes into hibernation and shuts off, but it doesn't resume. I never use hibernation, only standby, that too a couple of times.

Edited by AnX

I've found a better way to check for hardware IDs in Windows 2000. Just open Computer Management and go here:

VXCjrmLl.jpg

Could you try to run the original Sound Recorder from SP4 and see if the problem persists?

It may be a driver (likely the graphics driver) to cause the instabilities when using standby with PAE enabled. Hibernation won't work with PAE enabled at all - that's a known limitation but standby should work in normal circumstances (it does in my system).

Edited by tomasz86

I have uploaded two new test releases of UURollup-v11.

The first one is a new daily. I've added only one file which is Calculator (calc.exe) from Windows 2003 Server. I think that it just looks more elegant than the original one. The second one is a new weekly release. It's almost exactly the same as the previous daily but I've added an older version of urlmon.dll because the current one used in the daily releases is a Japanese file and the old one is in English. I've messaged blackwingcat about it.

I've also uploaded a new HFSLIP_ia.7z package. It utilises the new weekly release of UURollup-v11. The new UURollup-v11 weekly can be also safely installed over UURollup-v10d. It's actually very likely that it will be possible to finally release a stable version of UURollup-v11 soon :)

I've found a better way to check for hardware IDs in Windows 2000. Just open Computer Management and go here

Could you try to run the original Sound Recorder from SP4 and see if the problem persists?

It may be a driver (likely the graphics driver) to cause the instabilities when using standby with PAE enabled. Hibernation won't work with PAE enabled at all - that's a known limitation but standby should work in normal circumstances (it does in my system).

Well, I am using an older version of the Intel HD Forceware, let me upgrade to the latest one and see if we have any difference.

EDIT: No difference, but interestingly I've launched Process Explorer and found the culprit: The Hardware Interrupt Process.

I might try some BIOS settings, I'll get back to you.

NEW EDIT: No luck. I think the only way to solve this problem is to buy a GPU. Do you think that would help?

And I'm very excited about the stable UURollup 11! :)

Edited by AnX

First, tomasz86, thank you for your work on the Windows 2000 archive, and for this thread. I also want to express my appreciation for the contributions of others here, all of which has improved my knowledge of the W2K operating system and given me a better sense of its workings. You have helped make my Windows 2000 project seem, well, slightly less impossible. Thank you again.

My goal was to set up Windows 2000 Professional on modern hardware, specifically an Intel Sandy Bridge processor and a Z-77 motherboard, and I am now running such an installation. There are no unknown devices in Device Manager (with the caveat that I am using an X600 video card rather than the integrated graphics).

The problem I’m having concerns the lack of USB function during the installation process. Because of this, I have to use a PS/2 keyboard or mouse (and I do mean keyboard or mouse, because my motherboard has only one PS/2 connector). This means I plug in the keyboard during the text part of the install, then shut down the system via the keyboard, then change the keyboard out for the PS/2 mouse, then start it back up. From there, I am able to get into Device Manager to let Windows install the USB drivers (which are apparently there on the computer the whole time in c:\winnt\inf\oem10.inf) so that I can use a USB keyboard and mouse. Then everything’s fine.

Is there a way I can have USB function from the get-go? Because sometimes the system won’t recognize the PS/2 mouse during installation, and when that happens, I’m stuck. This has limited my ability to conduct experiments with others’ W2K installation files, for example the populated HFSLIP folders you make available through Dropbox.

Today I tested a new renesas USB PCI card, with an eye toward integrating its drivers into my W2K installation disc with nLite. But first I’m trying to simply install the card in the existing Windows enviroment, to see if it even works with W2K. So far, I have not been able to make the card work.

If someone has any ideas how to at least make the generic built-in USB drivers work automatically during the initial installation, I would really appreciate your sharing those ideas with me.

You need UUR-11. Then, download the latest Intel HD graphics from Blackwingcat, install, then re-install your PC driver (ACPI Multiprocessor PC) and reboot. Should work.

How much RAM does the system have, and have you tried PAE?

Edited by AnX

I have run UURollup-v11 on existing installations, but I don’t know how to integrate that type of file into HFSLIP, and HFSLIP recently has not included the latest UUR… However, the new HFSLIP package tomasz86 mentions in post #469 does include version 20130323, so that may be my next experiment.

I have seen that BWC has an HD 4000 driver available, but I have not come across an HD 3000 driver (for Sandy Bridge), although I may have just missed it, as I have enough difficulty working through computer terminology in my own language, and I’m altogether ignorant of Japanese (sometimes it seems like Google Translate has the same problem).

I use 4x1GB RAM, no PAE.

Whatever the solution (to the problem of no USB function during W2K installation), I suppose it must be something that could be changed on the install CD (as fixing it after the fact is now easy).

tomasz86 has suggested “It may be necessary to modify the default drivers' INF files” (post #420), but also that “There's probably nothing that can be done” (post #408). Perhaps Intel will fix it (yes, that notion makes me laugh, too); then again, just a few months ago someone at Intel came up with the Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) dated 11/06/2012 to work with Windows 2000 explicitly. One can hope.

I have run UURollup-v11 on existing installations, but I don’t know how to integrate that type of file into HFSLIP, and HFSLIP recently has not included the latest UUR… However, the new HFSLIP package tomasz86 mentions in post #469 does include version 20130323, so that may be my next experiment.

I have seen that BWC has an HD 4000 driver available, but I have not come across an HD 3000 driver (for Sandy Bridge), although I may have just missed it, as I have enough difficulty working through computer terminology in my own language, and I’m altogether ignorant of Japanese (sometimes it seems like Google Translate has the same problem).

I use 4x1GB RAM, no PAE.

Whatever the solution (to the problem of no USB function during W2K installation), I suppose it must be something that could be changed on the install CD (as fixing it after the fact is now easy).

tomasz86 has suggested “It may be necessary to modify the default drivers' INF files” (post #420), but also that “There's probably nothing that can be done” (post #408). Perhaps Intel will fix it (yes, that notion makes me laugh, too); then again, just a few months ago someone at Intel came up with the Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) dated 11/06/2012 to work with Windows 2000 explicitly. One can hope.

BWC's drivers support the HD 3000 too... :whistle:

And you can just install it instead of integrating it.

@tomasz86:

After installing the OS and running UUR v11-d20130323, the file version of hal.dll in the system32 folder is 5.0.2195.7006. (There’s also a HAL.DLL in i386/Driver Cache with a different version number).

@tomasz86:

After installing the OS and running UUR v11-d20130323, the file version of hal.dll in the system32 folder is 5.0.2195.7006. (There’s also a HAL.DLL in i386/Driver Cache with a different version number).

I'm still on March 19 Daily. And for a good reason too, now! I'll wait till one without a problem comes, and then, I'll install it. And as for the Sound Recorder, it doesn't work no matter what, so I'll just use WavePad Sound Editor.

There's a very serious issue in all versions of UURollup (including v10 and older). The problem is that %windir%\system32\hal.dll isn't updated at all. The installer doesn't replace it and I don't know why (yet). The same problem exists in blackwingcat's kernel core package. The HAL related files from "%windir%\driver cache\i386" get updated but the one located in "%windir%\system32" does not. On the other hand, the official M$ hotfix KB835730 does replace it correctly.

I've got some possible reasons for this situation in mind but I need to test them and find one which one is true.

I know why it doesn't work... It's a technical issue so this information will be useful only for people who know how the M$ hotfix installer operates. The HAL files must be listed in update.ver in order to replace HAL.DLL from %windir%\system32.

This issue does not affect slipstreaming, only manual installation.

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz86, in light of your post #478, may I put forth a couple of ignorant questions (please just ignore if these don’t make sense):

The version number for HAL.DLL in i386/Driver Cache is 5.0.2195.6693; wouldn’t that make the system32 version (5.0.2195.7006) the newer (updated) one?

Why is one file in lower case (hal.dll) and the other in upper case (HAL.DLL)?

Feel free to ask all kinds of questions if there's anything unclear in what I've written ;)

1. HAL.DLL = hal.dll (the case doesn't matter)
  2. There are 8 different HALs in Windows 2000:
    How to Troubleshoot Windows 2000 Hardware Abstraction Layer Issues
    hal.dll
    halaacpi.dll
    halacpi.dll
    halapic.dll
    halborg.dll
    halmacpi.dll
    halmps.dll
    halsp.dll

All of them are copied into "%windir%\driver cache\i386". Only one of them is renamed and copied into "%windir%\system32" as "hal.dll".
    In case of UURollup these files are used:

hal.dll 5.0.2195.6693
    halaacpi.dll 5.0.2195.6991
    halacpi.dll 5.0.2195.6990
    halapic.dll 5.0.2195.6803
    halborg.dll 5.0.2195.6694
    halmacpi.dll 5.0.2195.7011
    halmps.dll 5.0.2195.7010
    halsp.dll 5.0.2195.6694

Your "%windir%\system32\hal.dll" is actually halmacpi.dll renamed to hal.dll. It should have version number 5.0.2195.7011 but has only 5.0.2195.7007 since the new one wasn't installed by UURollup due to the problem which I described above.

I hope that everything is clear now :)