Windows Xp backup not sure what to do next

neovikingx

Im using a part of windows Ive havnt used before (Windows Xp backup). Im trying to back up all of the hdd, but how do i put it on a partitioned hard drive with out coping the other drive volumes( like D: and F:)

I was wanting to install it on the F partition. Or is Windows XP back up able to do that?

Thanks for any help I can get

I don't use MS Backup - I use a 3d party solution (commercial non-free). However, I believe MS Backup (AFAICR) allows for selective backups. Read the Help file for it.

Offhand, I can't remember the names of several FREE Disk/Partition Backup Solutions, but I know they are there.

Google "HDD Backup Freeware" (without quotes).

I was wanting to install it on the F partition.

Install what ?

I just started XP backup and it seems pretty straightforward, choose what to backup (use 4th option there) and where to save it (as one ".BKF" file). I don't see you running into any problem.

I have it backed up on the hard drive, but when I reboot the computer it talks about deleting that partition that the back up file is on to install, im not even sure what it is talking about. and the help file dosnt make it any clearer. went to windows site to find step by step instruction to back up the intire hard drive ( system files and personal files) came up with a page with a basic description and a link for the rest of the info I was looking for , but that page dosnt seem to be there. I havnt ever try to back up a hard drive before, so right now im kinda lost and not sure what to do now.

was wanting to install it on the F partition

Backup C: with NTbackup and then restore the contents of that backup on F:, yes.

Backup your C: with NTbackup and have it then 'install windows' onto the F:, :no:

For install what ? The back up using the asr option or the restore file option from backup program option , it dosnt matter I tried to use it a number of ways and none of the work. I will do a fresh install of xp and copy the files manualy. I just dont know how that program is supposed to be used and windows dosnt put it in layman's terms so I can under stand how to use it. To you it might seem straight forward on how to use it, but ive never use any thing like it before so my mind set dosnt know what to do with it , ist just dosnt make any sinse to me.

Thanks for the help yall tried to give me.

Ok, now you says you are using ASR, I see it needs a floppy to boot to recovery (do you even have a floppy drive ?).

At what point does it say that your F: drive will be erased ? Are you launching ASR from the running system (not sure you can do that, probably not, or that's when it says it will restore to F: ?

Can you be more precise about what exactly you are trying to do and what exactly you do (what options you use for backuping, from what to what, how you start restore, from what floppy boot or from XP itself) and at what point your problem occures. I get it english is not your 1st language, it's not mine either. But make an effort. :)

I found how to use by trial and error.

English is my 1st language. I just like things in layman's terms, makes it easy to understand. There are several terms and processes about computers that I don't understand.

• 3 weeks later...

I have it backed up on the hard drive, but when I reboot the computer it talks about deleting that partition that the back up file is on to install, im not even sure what it is talking about. and the help file dosnt make it any clearer. went to windows site to find step by step instruction to back up the intire hard drive ( system files and personal files) came up with a page with a basic description and a link for the rest of the info I was looking for , but that page dosnt seem to be there. I havnt ever try to back up a hard drive before, so right now im kinda lost and not sure what to do now.

From long experience I would not use Windows Backup or rely on System Restore.

The very best system for backing up a drive is to use a drive imaging program.

I use Image For Windows which is used in conjunction with Image for DOS.

Image for Windows is installed in Program Files and will back up all the partitions on my small 80 GB internal drive.

I use it to make an uncompressed backup drive image to the F:\ partition.

If the OS C:\ partition is damaged in any way I reboot to a CD with Image for DOS and restore from the F:\ partition.

Just in case that the hard drive fails altogether I also make a compressed image on an 8GB Kingston G3 USB stick.

Image for DOS will see both images as long as you do - NOT - disable 8 letter DOS name creation in the registry.

Image for DOS is packaged with Image for Windows which will make the bootable CDR for you.

You just need to download the free Phylock extra to obtain a lock on the drive before imaging it so that data is accurate.

There are other Drive Imaging programs out there and they are far more reliable than backup programs.