Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Yummie, according to Microsoft's own docs, the new Xbox will be:

"Always on, always connected"

"Kinect is required to be plugged in"

"All games must be installed on HDD"

http://n4g.com/news/1213397/vgleaks-documentation-durango-hardware-overview-always-connected-kinect-required-must-install

Let's not forget that the Kinect is actually a camera! Apart from blocking used games (very possible given this specs) it means that you're buying a 24/7 connected-to-the-mothership camera here, usually directed at the living room to boot.

In short: You're buying a real-life telescreen here! (Telescreens are the television sets in "1984", they act as display devices but they also work as surveillance cameras, monitoring the room they are in and sending the stream to the big brother government).

Edited by Formfiller

I guess that only people with a background knowledge of Italian/Latin based languages will appreciate this :unsure::

http://www.giornalettismo.com/archives/825787/lapp-di-microsoft-col-nome-piu-assurdo-del-mondo/

:blushing::D:lol:

The last line there:

Come al solito Microsoft non si è inventata nulla, ha copiato ancora dagli altri…

A somewhat improved-upon Google translation:

As usual, Microsoft has not invented anything, once again it's copied from somebody else...

;)

--JorgeA

The caprices of Babel's Tower have also put carmakers in trouble more than once :rolleyes: .

That was hilarious!

A slight variation on this (and totally OT): I remember when the Ford Torino came out. With apologies to @jaclaz ;) because it's a real place in Italy, we made fun of the name by splitting off the "T" and adding an "e" to it...

--JorgeA

Freudian slip?

I like it how the new Xbox SDK installer uses the Matrix font.

xdk1.jpg

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/

Using footage from a movie about being a slave for machines from birth to death sets the mood quite nicely for Telescreen 720, don't you think?

Yeah, I do think!

I wonder if they're aware of what they're doing there. Or maybe it's a kind of deliberate (but still ominous) joke.

Just wait till these Kinect cameras get networked and become accessible to a variety of three-letter agencies. Doesn't even matter if Microsoft actually intends for people to be spied on, they will have made it all possible, and easy.

The most secure data is the data that doesn't get collected in the first place...

--JorgeA

Oh, how cute:

xdk5.jpg

Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. [...] and will always maintain a network connection.

Every Durango console will be sold with a new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor, which will be required for the system to operate [...] Active infrared illumination will provide high-quality monochrome images even in low ambient light conditions (!)

That's like straight from those b-movie sci fi flicks, where you always think how did the people let this s***hole scenario happen.

The caprices of Babel's Tower have also put carmakers in trouble more than once :rolleyes: .

Wow, those are hysterical!

Freudian slip?

I like it how the new Xbox SDK installer uses the Matrix font.

Using footage from a movie about being a slave for machines from birth to death sets the mood quite nicely for Telescreen 720, don't you think?

That's a great catch there, you nailed it. :thumbup Really appropriate. I'm gonna whip up graphic thanks to your tip.

To be fair, not ONLY car makers had these kind of hiccups:

http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2340-lost-translation-7-international-marketing-mishaps.html

Ikea has traditionally being one of the best at it, probably due to the Swedish being so "different" :unsure: , but sure while not everyone might know Thai:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ikeas-product-names-were-almost-a-disaster-in-thailand-2012-6

names like (just a few):

Anis, Dick, Fanny, Fartfull, Jerker, Lessebo might have raised an eyebrow or two....

SCOOP! :yes: ever thought of feeding "Windows 8" in an Ikea Name Generator? :unsure:

jaclaz

post-25215-0-85579200-1363885129_thumb.j

Edited by jaclaz

Echoes of what we said a couple of days ago:

Microsoft's cash-for-apps pitch to devs smells like desperation

Dubbed "Keep the Cash," the promotion is Microsoft's first overt cash-for-apps program, a tactic rivals Google and Apple have never used to attract submissions.

To one analyst, the $100-per-app pitch was an ill omen.

"It looks a little desperate," said Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy. "It sends the message that Microsoft is having a hard time building out its app categories. And it doesn't bode well for the Windows Store."

"Clearly, they'd like to populate the stores as quickly as possible with more apps," said Ezra Gottheil of Technology Business Research. "But it seems they want to try to pull in the 13-year-olds, because $100 is not at all meaningful to an established developer. Maybe they're looking for the next generation of kid geniuses, and hoping to find the next killer app that comes out of nowhere."
Miller wasn't keen on the idea of paying for apps. "I agree with Charlie [Kindel]," said Miller, talking about a blog post from September 2012 where Kindel said paying developers cash was a bad idea.

In that post, Kindel—until mid-2011 the general manager of Microsoft's Windows Phone developer experience—also predicted Microsoft would make the move.

"It is highly likely things are about to change and Microsoft is going to start directly incenting developers to build apps with cash," Kindel wrote at the time. "If I'm right, and we start to see clear evidence that Microsoft is paying for apps, then Windows is in even more trouble than most of us already believe."

--JorgeA

PCWorld is running a poll on Windows 8. Here are the results so far:

Writing on the wall? Of those that have used/tried it, it is:

31% Like it.

46% Don't like it.

Not what I would call real stellar numbers. We will have look back later to see if it changes much.

Linked to in the article on PC World (but with a broken link):

Windows Store: Charmed, I’m sure.

http://getwired.com/2012/10/02/windows-store-charmed-im-sure/

Seemingly the EXACT OPPOSITE of what is happening (and that the "new provision" may contribute to create).

Anyone willing to count (on his/her own "real" PC) HOW MANY (roughly):

1. programs are installed
  2. programs are actually used (daily or often enough)
  3. programs you couldn't live without

Mine:

1. more than 200
  2. 35, maybe 40
  3. 10 to 15, maybe 20

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

An interesting take on the Surface's positioning in the market and marketing problems, from a couple of months ago.

Microsoft has never disguised the fact that the Surface Pro would be a tablet with ultrabook characteristics, or sell at a price commensurate with ultrabooks'. In June, when the company surprised the industry, including its OEM partners, by introducing its own hardware, it said that the Surface Pro would sell for about the same as Intel-powered ultrabooks, whose prices have hovered at $1,000 and beyond.

The problem for Microsoft is that the outlook for ultrabooks, which the Surface Pro emulates, is dim. Windows ultrabook sales have been disappointing this year, and show little sign of improving sans dramatic price cuts. Such a move, failing similar discounts by Microsoft, would leave the Surface Pro high (in price) and dry.

Even without the current sales issues with ultrabooks, Microsoft's strategy of putting two devices into a single chassis may have little chance. By trying to make Windows 8 all things to all people—and make it fit for use in a wider range of devices—Microsoft has set itself a bar that will be very tough to jump considering the current state of computing.

"The real question is, 'What is the point of a two-in-one device or touchscreen PC?'" said Singh. "Legacy applications are not touch optimized, so using them on a Surface Pro, even with a Touch/Type Cover, is a sub-optimal experience compared to a traditional laptop."

"If the Surface doesn't sell as a PC that can manifest itself as a tablet, then it's nowhere," said Gottheil.

In fact, few experts give the Surface Pro much of a chance of selling in any appreciable number. By extension, that means there's little chance for Microsoft to break out of the flagging PC business to a wider product constituency of tablets, or to create a viable two-in-one category.

"At the end of the day, Microsoft's problems with the Surface and Windows 8 have been caused by a flawed mobile strategy," asserted Singh. "Microsoft sees the tablet as an extension of the PC, but doesn't seem to understand the fact that the gap between touch-optimized and non-touch-optimized applications renders that logic invalid. Microsoft is attempting to position the Surface Pro as a laptop/PC replacement but unfortunately, replacing a PC doesn't seem to be necessity anymore."

So far, that analysis seems to be borne out by subsequent sales performance.

--JorgeA

Stephen Elop throws an iPhone, ignores the Lumia 928 ( NeoWin 2013-03-22 )

Elop throws an iPhone on Finnish TV, refuses to answer Lumia 928 questions ( The Verge 2013-03-22 )

"Oh how embarrassing. I can take care of that for you, there you go. Gone, hehe."

Naturally the MicroZealots have something to say about it ...

didn't throw it hard enough

Elop rocks.

And I am glad he threw the iPhone. I would have thrown it to the floor harder so it breaks.

Here's what I have to say about it ...

Cx7TW2f.jpg

If anyone doesn't know who he is, see Wikipedia ...

Career

Elop was a director of consulting for Lotus Development Corporation before becoming CIO for Boston Chicken in 1992, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1998. In the same year, he joined Macromedia's Web/IT department and worked at the company for seven years, where he held several senior positions, including CEO from January 2005 for three months before their acquisition by Adobe Systems was announced in April 2005.

He was then president of worldwide field operations at Adobe, tendering his resignation in June 2006 and leaving in December, after which he was the COO of Juniper Networks for exactly one year from January 2007-2008.

Before starting at Nokia, Elop worked for Microsoft from January 2008 to September 2010 as the head of the Business Division, responsible for the Microsoft Office line of products, and as a member of the company's senior leadership team. During his time at Microsoft, the Business Division released Office 2010.

Nokia announced on March 11, 2011 that it had paid Elop a $6 million signing bonus, “compensation for lost income from his prior employer," on top of his $1.4 million annual salary.

Comparative articles about other CEO's feelings over their competition ...

Google Chairman uses a BlackBerry and hates the Nexus 7's size ( NeoWin 2013-03-22 )

Bill Gates still won't let his children use Apple products ( NeoWin 2012-12-28 )

Man Survives Steve Ballmer’s Flying Chair To Build ’21st Century Linux’ ( Wired 2011-11-18 )

Google's honcho admits to using a Blackberry ( I can respect this ). Gates and his wife have banned Apple from their mansion ( makes no sense to me at all). Ballmer, well, he just throws chairs and threatens to kill the competition, literally. :lol:

EDIT: added article

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot