The Ultimate Nano install

USSR98SE

Hi,

for a exerpiment I want to make the real "Ultimate Nano Install"... I searched around the Web, but nearly everything which gives me tips is down since some years.

I want to trim it down to under 200 MBs.

My first step would be nlite and I tested it out today and got down do 540 MB's, but I didn't disabled everything. Can someone give me tips what I should all disable (what can I keep to use at least Firefox or another super-slim browser?).

Then after the installation I would use other tools and deleted unused things ,which are still there. And other things should be UPXed , but I don'T know how upx works somebody got a tutorial?

All is done in a VM.

My first attempt was 540 MB's with a Installation which took 4 Minutes.

Can you give me tips?

EDIT: ouch didn't see the Costumize-Section can someone move this?

Edited by USSR98SE

Hi,

for a exerpiment I want to make the real "Ultimate Nano Install"... I searched around the Web, but nearly everything which gives me tips is down since some years.

I want to trim it down to under 200 MBs.

NOT what you asked :ph34r:.

But maybe you could be interested to the "other way round", real Nano build, then add ONLY what you need:

http://reboot.pro/3717/

Warning: much troublesome, highly experimental, YMMV, etc., etc.

On another side, an old exeperiment with Windows 2000:

http://reboot.pro/5679/

UPXing is a double-edged sword, it will make smaller disk occupation, but will use more RAM, if the buid is really "nano" you won't have that much improvement as most windows "core" files cannot be compressed.

jaclaz

I don't want to install a XP , which is Nano at the beginning... I also remove stuff afterwards.

Today I will try to slim down XP to 500 MB's if it is possible.

I know some sites with tips, but they are down.

I don't want to install a XP , which is Nano at the beginning... I also remove stuff afterwards.

:wacko::lol:

A running "nano" ("installed")??? Have you tried a Live XP? Don't get more "nano" than that! How does about 125mb grab you? Yes, you CAN put it onto an HDD, USB, CD, whatever is bootable...

I don't want to install a XP , which is Nano at the beginning...

That's why I said it was NOT an answer to your question. (actually it is, but not the answer you wanted)

No other kid wants to play with me with the XPCLI stuff :(.

I also remove stuff afterwards.

That is the traditional way, but why adding it in the first time, if you later remove it?

Sure it is. :thumbup

You should be able to get a largely functional XP below 300 Mb But of course as always it depends what you *need* and how you rate "largely functional".

Here is a step-by-step for one at around 400 Mb:

http://www.i64x.com/eeexp.php

Ever heard of the Wayback Machine? :w00t:

http://www.archive.org/

A running "nano" ("installed")??? Have you tried a Live XP? Don't get more "nano" than that! How does about 125mb grab you? Yes, you CAN put it onto an HDD, USB, CD, whatever is bootable...

Well, LiveXP is NOT an XP, it is a PE 1 .x.

And if you are gong the PE way, there are much smaller builds than that. (and again it depends on the functionalities you want/need), a couple oldish examples:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=12067

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16543 http://www.brian-hoover.com/Navigation/Code%20Repository/Other/BartPE%20AIO.php

but also the various Winbuilder "barebone" projects are much smaller than that.

jaclaz

@ submix8c how should I UPX files even before the installation? Thats impossible during a installation... If I understood you right

Nano98 is not different from my experiment, he installed 98 and pushed it down afterwards to 4 MB.

@jaclaz:

I need only Internet, but not with IE,which can be removed.

nLite is a good start for me, but I also found a Unattend Install which maybe helps a bit more on my way...

I can also try a Whistler build. at the moment I am working with XP Home, as it has fewer functions than Professional.

Waybackmachine doesn't work everytime or has a bug with the robots.txt or something like that..

http://www.i64x.com/eeexp.php following this tutorial I would deleted all drivers? But how to set up a basic internetconnection after this (LAN is Deleted, sure I can let this things in and not delete it) But thanks

Edited by USSR98SE

@ submix8c how should I UPX files even before the installation? Thats impossible during a installation... If I understood you right

Please un-confuse me...

"To install or not to install... That is the question"

Do you want to INSTALL a Nano-Install or NANO an Install?

Case #1 involves "stripping" everything to bare-bones before install and UPX'ing can't be done.

UPX'ing would have to be done AFTER an "install".

Case #2 would suffice with a LiveXP (or as jaclaz aptly states a PE1.x) - again, "UPX'ing after.

Please clarify the objective.

P.S. (excerpt courtesy of Wayback) -

Here are instructions how to build a Nano98 system, read them through first and make sure you understand everything.

Download Micro95.zip to get clean win.ini, system.ini and registry.reg.

Download win95-4mb.txt to get an extreme filelist, or download the less extreme filelist 95filelist.txt.

Install Windows 98 in C:\Windows

Exit to DOS =)

Delete SYSTEM.DAT, SYSTEM.DA0, USER.DAT and USER.DA0 from C:\WINDOWS

Remove every file that is not in the filelist.

Hmmm... see that "INSTALL"/"DELETE" stuff? Appears to be AFTER the install not BEFORE...

I "nano" the installation(AFTER) not the installation process(BEFORE).

All stuff ,which could be done during the installation process, will I change (nLite and further Unattended)

And then I push the size down after the installation with more tools (like UPX) and or by deletion of unused stuff.

HOW are you getting a 500 meg disk post process?

My XP disk "Pre-Proccess" is 384 megs.

I removed everything from it that doesn't install anyways by hand and then go from there.

i.e these folders and files:

README.HTM

SETUP.EXE

SETUPXP.HTM

DOCS

DOTNETFX

SUPPORT

VALUEADD

AUTORUN.INF

FROM the root.

And these:

LANG

WIN9XMIG

WIN9XUPG

WINNTUPG

WINNT32A.DLL

WINNTBBA.DLL

From the I386 dir...

Takes the BASE XP\SP3 from 583 megs to 383 megs

Kel, it's a RUNNING system the OP is after.

USSR, have fun and check the SECOND link that jaclaz gave (which points back to MSFN, BTW). I doubt if you'll get much more assist than that since it's all "experimental" and (nearly) nobody has any interest in it. Even the MicroXP (warez!) is useless as it leaves many items in that don't function AND lacks internet.

Do post back any findings and progress... LiveXP is good enough for me. ;):)