"Send To Extensions" vs. "Desktop (create shortcut)"

egrabrych

(report)

As you know, there is an add-on to the Windows called "Microsoft Windows 95 PowerToys". One of the elements of this add-on is called "Send To Extensions". During its installation, the Sendtox.dll file is placed in the %WinDir%\System\ShellExt folder, and in %WinDir%\SendTo folder, there are placed seven shortcuts widening the range of capabilities of the "Send To" command in the context menu. Because the "Send To Extensions PowerToy" works and is useful also in Windows 98, sometimes it is also installed in that operating system. Unfortunately, during the Sendtox.dll file registration, the registry key: [HKLM\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{9E56BE61-50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}] gets „intentionally” damaged.

The result of these changes is a malfunction of one of the system shortcuts used in the command "Send To": "Desktop (create shortcut)". When used, rather than create a desktop shortcut to the file to which this command has been applied to, it will now open a window of a "new message Microsoft Exchange". The remedy is obviously to restore the key’s proper content [HKLM\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}], but there wouldn’t have been any problem in the first place, if not for the bug in the Sendtox.dll file. This error, aside from the damage it causes, doesn’t bring any more or less positive effects, and besides, it was possible for the Microsoft to use two different CLSID!

Edited by egrabrych

Hi egrabrych,

what are you asking for?

Do you want a patch to correct this? I've got one.

Personally, I don't use anymore this Dll but Copyx.dll (52 KB), or KillCopy 2.82 .

post-200646-0-11790500-1325441383_thumb.

And by the way, ... A Happy New Year for everyone! :D:yes::thumbup

and ...A Big Thanks to all the Team here! :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

@CharlesF, are you just bragging that you have a fix and we don't, or did you just forget to include a link for the patch? And I'm confused as to what CopyX.dll or KillCopy has to do with a" Send To" shortcut glitch? :blink:

Cheers and Regards

@CharlesF, are you just bragging that you have a fix and we don't

:w00t: Lol!

As I have said, I don't understand what egrabrych is asking for!

He is writing: The remedy is obviously to restore the key’s proper content .

So, I am doubtful if he needs an help to restore or anything else.

One of the main part of the Send To Extensions Powertoy was the ability to "send" (copy or move) a file to any folder.

That's why I have suggested IMO better solutions.

Charles. :D

CharlesF:

I will try to be polite here, but WHAT ARE you actually trying to do?

Mock everybody? Your suggestions you laughingly put out without links to find them or even a proper name to google them (copyx.dll ??? WTF) You are not suggesting a better alternative just a waste of everyones time trying to find out more info on your suggestion...

Then you laugh at a serious inquiry to your post.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Hi egrabrych,

what are you asking for?

Thank you, but with nothing to see here please.

This post it was written in reference to the thread http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/154648-dos-format-b-and-label/, which was created in reference to the thread http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/118119-patched-iosys-for-9xme/page__st__100.

Oh, such memories from the past. :)

Happy New Year :thumbup

Kelsenellenelvian,

I apologize. No offense was intended. :blushing:

As you can read now in egrabrych's answer, he was not asking for anything,

and that is what was confusing me.

So, I first asked in what direction I was able to help!

All that stuff is legacy, and I don't have link to provide. Before uploading (everything ?!), I wanted to clarify if they were pertinent.

All that is explained in my 2 previous posts. I had even taken the time to make a screenshot, never wanted to waste your time!

[The only laugh has been because I was told to be a braggart, rather than give me the benefit of the doubt by reading carefully to what I was responding.]

Charles.

Edited by CharlesF

I had even taken the time to make a screenshot, never wanted to waste your time!

@CharlesF:

Sorry. I thought that the word "report" at the beginning will be enough understood. :(

But it was not on your side "waste of time" because I found out from you about things that previously I did not know. Thank you :)

egrabrych

I am genuinly interested in copyx

I am your humble servant ;) : copyx.zip

I use it instead of 'SendTo any folder' because it is light & simple, but keeps in memory of the last targets.

You have seen a screenshot in my first post.

FWIW, Registry keys are:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8AC29160-DDD3-11D1-9585-FD0515F2DD7B}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{8AC29160-DDD3-11D1-9585-FD0515F2DD7B}

More sophisticated is FileTargets:

Official download link is here: http://www.moonsoftware.com/download.asp

More details here : PCWorld.com and here: Brothersoft.

It seems that the last version 1.41 is a trial version (30 days), but I'm pretty sure than the previous one 1.40 is completely freeware.

I have the 1.40 exe but it is a setup french translated version. I can upload it if desired (349 KB in Zip file).

More powerful are the well-known: SuperCopier, TeraCopy, ...

Here is a thread discussing them for Windows 9x: File copying / moving.

In Win 98SE, I use KillCopy 2.82 because of its multiple settings, its management of Favorites allowing multi-targeting.

It is skinnable, multi-language, ... :wub:

post-200646-0-19423700-1325549512_thumb. post-200646-0-02400800-1325549524_thumb.

post-200646-0-92962500-1325549536_thumb. post-200646-0-28011800-1325549549_thumb.

HTH

Charles :) .

More sophisticated is FileTargets:

Official download link is here: http://www.moonsoftware.com/download.asp

More details here : PCWorld.com and here: Brothersoft.

It seems that the last version 1.41 is a trial version (30 days), but I'm pretty sure than the previous one 1.40 is completely freeware.

I have the 1.40 exe but it is a setup french translated version. I can upload it if desired (349 KB in Zip file).

Why not getting it directly from Moon Software where the install password is also given? :w00t:

http://www.moonsoftware.com/download.asp

Moon Software has some cool utilities, I am not using FileTargets but I use the FileNote shellex which is vely useful (and unique AFAIK) and Font Xplorer is my preferred font manager.

And btw it is possible to use the standard Send To to quickly copy files to various predefined folders.

Edited by loblo

Why not getting it directly from Moon Software where the install password is also given? :w00t:

Hi loblo,

as you could have read I have given in first, this link,

but as I have writen: It seems that the last version 1.41 is a trial version.

I'm not sure because I never have tried this last version.

And btw it is possible to use the standard Send To to quickly copy files to various predefined folders.

Yes, that was the beginning of the very same post: I use it [= Copyx] instead of 'SendTo any folder' ;)

I am genuinly interested in copyx

I am your humble servant ;) : copyx.zip

Nice to use ...

Thank you! :)

Ah, if it was still something of an identical action to "Run Shell Extension for Windows NT" (Runext.dll) with the "Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit", but running under Windows 9x/ME. "Run with arguments ..." with "Synesis Software Windows Shell Extensions" is not the same ... :(

as you could have read I have given in first, this link,

but as I have writen: It seems that the last version 1.41 is a trial version.

I'm not sure because I never have tried this last version.

My bad, speak about answering to a post without actually reading it properly... :lol:

Yes, that was the beginning of the very same post: I use it [= Copyx] instead of 'SendTo any folder' ;)

No, here I mean just the standard send to without the power toy or other shell extension.