Free Windows 32bit compilers?

JedClampett

Hi all. If I wanted to port some GPL'd Linux applications to Windows 32 bit, are there any free compilers to do this with please? Thinking of things like C & C++ IDE's, Pascal.

TIA,

Jed :)

Edited by JedClampett

If I wanted to port some GPL'd Linux applications to Windows

I think you'll soon discover it's not always too simple. From the different subsystems used, completely different libraries available, things that aren't covered by the language being quite different (e.g. for C++ code, posix threads being different than Windows', requiring the Pthreads-w32 lib), many things which work rather differently (no fork), compiler incompatibilities (even across different compilers on the same OS!), etc. For simple command line tools it might be pretty simple and quick but for fancy GUI apps it might be quite the undertaking. Not that I really know of any useful apps that run on Linux but not on Windows or that don't have equivalents...

As far as C and C++ compilers, the best 2 are commercial (Microsoft's and Intel's), and others like C++ builder are also commercial. You're mostly left with minority and open-source compilers like DJGPP.

Edit: others point cygwin and mingw but when you're essentially installing linux and gcc under windows, but that's where I stop to call it porting. You might as well just run Linux in a virtual machine...

Just for the record, Mingw allow you to compile binaries without any need of libraries dependencies and most of the time your compiled binaries will work on any win32 OS without the need of any specific dll.

Edited by allen2

Only seemingly OT :ph34r: and just for the fun of it ;):

http://reboot.pro/15207/

Generally speaking mingw compiled apps are far "better" (in the sense of more compact, more easibly deployable) than Cygwin ones, though.

The main thing IMHO is, if you are going to distribute the Source code, that you also detail WHICH exact compiler you used and the exact way the thingy has to be compiled.

Whenever possible try NOT to use a zillion of stupid do-it-all .dll's.

jaclaz