Setting up Windows Server 2008r2

bookie32

Hi again!

You got me there....awake now..... :yes:

OK! Just installed this on another computer in VMware to have a look and it is .....a bit daunting at first look,but I guess it is always like that with something new....

OK! to really try this I need to back up my existing wims and then do a fresh install on the server......

The guides that are available from VMware are the ones to follow?

Any basic settings etc that you know from experience I should be thinking of?

bookie32

PS what is this and coffee...LOL we say kaffe är gott or "The coffee is good" Kaffet är gott

Edited by bookie32

The guides that are available from VMware are the ones to follow?

I haven't really looked at them so I can't really say. It's pretty straightforward (and quick) though.

Any basic settings etc that you know from experience I should be thinking of?

You most likely want to setup a static IP (at the console, press F2, enter root pwd, configure management network, ip configuration, set it however you want and apply the changes -- you may want to configure DNS later so you don't have to remember the IP); while you're there, feel free to enable the shell (accessed using alt+f1) and SSH too (for access using putty or another SSH client)

Then in the vSphere Client (login again with root and the same root pwd -- and the static IP you've set obviously), go to inventory, select your ESXi server, then the configuration tab, "licensed features" on the left, and then "edit" hiding waaaaaaaaaaay over there at the top right and enter your serial number. This program is what you'll be using to manage pretty much everything now.

By the way, you could convert your existing install of Win2008R2 to a VM with the free vCenter Converter (you'd probably want to remove the Hyper-V role then)

Hi again!

Well, I did what you said and even disabled inbuilt nic....it loads to the install screen and two seconds later nothing....

I only have have two more nics I can try a d-link DFE-530TX or PCIe Gigabit Lan Card if they don't work then I can't start changing hardware at this point...spent too much money already....

bookie32

Hi again :no:

Well, I will have to put this on hold.....not that impressed with a linux based os that basically only seems to like intel nics?!!

I will order one when I put in a new order.....

I use linux based os's all the time and have never run in to a nic problem like this......

Thanks for the idea. If i can get the time to try this later I will...

bookie32

Edit: I just tested installing on a plain vanilla Intel G43 based motherboard (Core 2 Duo) with onboard Realtek NIC. Everything worked out of the box, including the Realtek 8111E NIC. So I guess v5 isn't too picky about hardware after all... Didn't have to disable C1E or anything either.

Hi again :yes:

YES, one has spent time fiddeling with versions of Linux to get things working......

In this case...think I will bend and get a nic that is supported.... :rolleyes:

You are on the ball..... :ph34r:

bookie32

Hi again!

Well after all that has been happening I am still trying to get a basic setup that works.....

Both Hyper-V and VMware seem to have their problems....!!

I have my server with all roles AD, DNS, DHCP, WDS, MDT and Waik installed. WDS is configured to allow DHCP on the same server.....

Back to VMware...

Created a task in MDT and then booted the iso in VMWare machine the deployment went well and I didn't get any problems...DHCP gave my vm an IP which I reserved......I updated my vm and then created a task to capture my vm.....

I have read that the capture has to be run from the vm so I entered my deployment share info. \\DN1\Build$ and ran it...after a quite a long time I get to add credentials to open my litetouch.vbs and then I could choose my capture image....no probs....

I then added my credentials as required and then nothing.....!!

"invalid credentials:Network path not found (80070035)"

I have read so many posts on this problem my head is spinning......

Why am I getting deployment but not capture?

Does anyone have the answer before I through this computer out the window....PLEASE!

bookie32

When you select a task sequence, you have the option to capture it. Also, you can create task sequences simply for sysprep and capture. What you need to do is make sure that customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini in your deployment share both have the proper UserID and UserPassword information set to allow logon - basically, map Z: to \\server\share$ using those credentials, and then browse to Z:\scripts in a cmd prompt and run cscript LiteTouch.wsf. This will realize you've already mapped Z, run LiteTouch.vbs against bootstrap.ini in the share, and show you your task sequences. Select your sysprep and capture sequence, and that should sysprep your machine, and reboot to PE to capture it via imagex to the location specified when you ran the task sequence.

Hi cluberti!

OK! Yes, I noticed that you could deploy and capture using the same task sequence....trying to keep some kind of order....LOL

Basically, at the moment, I am using the standard settings in custom settings and haven't added any extra info....I did get it to work, howerver, but not how I expected...will try to explain what I did later

I wouldn't mind disecting your custom settings and bootstrap....going to look at mapping the depoyment share today and try and give a better account of what I did from start to finish, so we can look at the settings a bit more closer....

Thanks for your reply!

bookie32