Missing drivers, but hardware not shown in device manager

kahlil88

I'm trying to fix a friend's Inspiron 6000 laptop, which is having some driver issues. The sound card isn't working but doesn't show up in the device manager (not even as an "unknown device") and neither does the modem. It sounds like the problem started when he installed a bunch of drivers from Dell. The first thing I did was uninstall the audio drivers, but re-installing fails because it doesn't detect the sound device. Nothing in the device manager, although DriverDetective sees the modem (it expired though, and won't cooperate). Scanned the registry with CCleaner and ran system file checker. Any ideas before I resort to attempting a repair install?

Look at Safe Mode device manager, and remove all the sound and modems you see there, then reboot into normal mode... see if it detects something.

Unfortunately nothing shows up in safe mode -- no audio or modem devices, no unknown devices either. Makes it all the more difficult to fix. Might just try a repair install, though I'm not very confident that will work either...