custom avatars and signatures

@ jaclaz:

I did away with the "quote boxes" in thisPost. So, all comments are to be understood as you writing.

FACEPALM.(with.frown.&.no.arms) approved!

After L re-enters the scene vertically upward -- (after having ducked down out of the picture) -- the emoticon smiling/mocking sequence will be:

XGdnx.gif

biggrin_1frame.gif

yahoo_10frames-1.gif

explicitmockingharhar_4frames.gif

(Yes, it's best to eliminate as many frames as possible.)

The "kilroy" checking to see if it's safe to come up is perfect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, I'm going to make a "visual storyboard" Post with each step numbered.

These numbers will correspond to my folder numbers in which I make each step.

I'll probably put together a few related steps rather than just 1 static or animated GIF at a time.

I think I'll start with R throwing the brick and L ducking, because this is the hardest part of the GIF (i.e., hardest in the sense of coordinating the throwing with the ducking and establishing the length of the GIF).

Edited by larryb123456

I didn't make a visual storyboard as I mentioned in my last Post, because all the items had already been presented. Also, I didn't make isolated component GIF parts A, B, C, etc. because they would be confusing because there would be a herky-jerk because there wouldn't be a closed loop.

What I did do was make the complete animation, 143 frames, 154x38px, 59 KB,

jaclaz.DUCK.EMOTICON_01, http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_01.gif

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_01.gif

This will be all the work I will do on this project, except for very, very, minor changes.

What qualifies as "minor" will be determined by me.

Ignore the red dots, because they are red registration markers which will be removed in the final version.

Some comments, so you can look for certain aspects of the animation:

L and R enter the stage energetically and at the same rate (i.e., display time per frame = 0.10 sec). L exits the stage at the same rate after his mocking. After R misses with the brick, he exits the stage moving very slowly -- (i.e., display time per frame = 0.20 sec) -- because he is sad.

After R misses with the brick, he is momentarily still red-faced/angry and the first question mark shows up in this mindset. Then the transition to golden face takes place with the next question mark showing up. (This looked much better than going immediately from red face with no question marks to a series of two question marks over a gold face.)

When L re-enters the stage moving vertically upward, slowly, to the "Kilroy" position and looks right and left to establish that there isn't another brick coming, he then moves very quickly up to his "base position". No need for him to continue moving slowly after the Kilroy evaluation.

I spent a good deal of time adjusting the frame display times -- (independently) -- and I don't think the animation above can be improved much in this regard. As far as changes to my animation, frame display times will be all I'll do.

If you want major changes to this GIF, perhaps Tripredacus can oblige, because he does frame-by-frame animations.

Edited by larryb123456

It's almost perfect :thumbup .

I would "shorten it a little bit, in such a way that L's "eyes" come up from the bottom as soon as R turns towards the right side preparing to exit.

Also (though it is nice) there is no real reason why L should "enter" the scene whistling and the end exit it, i.e the scene could open with L already there and at the end "cycle" from explicitmockingharhar_4frames.gif

directly back to:

2_whistling_4frames.gif

jaclaz

I would "shorten it a little bit, in such a way that L's "eyes" come up from the bottom as soon as R turns towards the right side preparing to exit.

The problem with your suggestion is that we would have L and R onstage in the *same frames* moving with the different display-time sequences that each emoticon is based on. In a given frame, we can have only 1 display time, so your idea won't work. And I'm not going to redo it to try to make this scenario. Overruled! Also, IMO, it's best that R is onstage by himself while he is exiting the scene, because then full attention can be given to him. Similarly, IMO, it's best that L is onstage by himself while moving upward into the arena, because then full attention can be given to him.

Also (though it is nice) there is no real reason why L should "enter" the scene whistling and the end exit it.

Unbelievable, jaclaz !!! If you check back a few Posts, you'll see that this scenario was your idea. Remember that I then said I liked that solution a lot.

the scene could open with L already there and at the end "cycle" from explicitmockingharhar_4frames.gif

directly back to:

2_whistling_4frames.gif

If I can make this by simply *eliminating frames*, I'll do it. Otherwise, I won't do it, and this project will be over. I think I can do it though by simply eliminating frames. I'll let you know my result.

Unbelievable, jaclaz !!! If you check back a few Posts, you'll see that this scenario was your idea. Remember that I then said I liked that solution a lot.

Yep :), but if you read it attentively:

it says that L would whistle and walk away on the right, i.e. the scene would be about L whistling and walking from left to right and momentarily impeded in doing this because of the "angry" R throwing the brick.

The "original" idea is that L is perfectly knowing he did something "naughty" and nothing, not even a brick thrown at him, would stop his path (or "naughty" behaviour).

RIght now it seems like L is somehow intimidated but the thrown brick and decides to change his direction.

Maybe one could "revert" the entrance of L on the scene (making it enter from the right instead), and have R appear like if he is following L (in order to throw the brick at him).

If there are technical difficulties in making the "kilroy" appear a bit earlier, no problem, it was just an idea to "compact" a little the cycle time and size of the .gif.

jaclaz

@ jaclaz:

First off, I didn't read through your verbiage avalanche in your last Post.

I think your earlier comments about "compacting" the GIF were excellent, and I came up with a good solution by eliminating frames (and adding 1 frame) to arrive at a 107 frame, 48 KB version. I solved the problem of L and R being "active" in the same frame(s) by having L move upward *as soon as* R left the scene.

Here, I have presented 3 different versions.

They are identical except for the speed at which R exits the scene moving right.

Here, D = display time per frame, and, of course, a greater D means that R is exiting more slowly.

(Angry, red R entered the scene at D = 0.10 sec.)

Please let me know which version below that you want to use, and I'll remove the red registration markers to get the final version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jaclaz.DUCK.EMOTICON_02, D = 0.20 sec

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_02.gif

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_02.gif

jaclaz.DUCK.EMOTICON_03, D = 0.15 sec

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_03.gif

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_03.gif

jaclaz.DUCK.EMOTICON_04, D = 0.10 sec

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_04.gif

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_04.gif

Edited by larryb123456

@ jaclaz:

Here you go.

Duck,Turkey! (lol)

jaclaz.DUCK.EMOTICON_FINAL:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_FINAL.gif

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_FINAL.gif

Last one is OK :thumbup

Just "OK :thumbup" and not "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" ?

Perhaps (?) "OK :thumbup" in Italian translates to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in English.

Last one is OK :thumbup

Just "OK :thumbup" and not "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" ?

Perhaps (?) "OK :thumbup" in Italian translates to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in English.

Unlike what people think, Italians do love understatements....

7Dr3fSCUDE23yXRr593YhQ2.jpg

Besides the issues with spelling, before thanking you I had to wait ....

... and see if you were actually capable of removing those red dots ... jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_FINAL.gif

... you see, I can make use of the animation ;)

Seriously, the result is magnificent, thank you very, very much for your time and dedication :).

jaclaz

Loved the 1st Spoiler image. "I-T" would have been what a Forrest Gump kitty would have said.

As far as the 2nd Spoiler, the red dots were easy to remove. It just took a little Clearasil.

Seriously, the result is magnificent, thank you very, very much for your time and dedication :)

A sincere statement of appreciation, such as this, makes all my hard work worthwhile.

(But don't let this comment be an incentive for you to think up another animated GIF for me to make...lol...lol...lol...lol...lol...!!!)

Seriously, the result is magnificent, thank you very, very much for your time and dedication :).

jaclaz

It's almost irresistible to post just: +1 :D

Then again, it wouldn't be fair... jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_FINAL.gif is really superb! You do rock, Larry! worship.gif

It's almost irresistible to post just: +1 :D

But that would have left an unanswered question, is a movie like "Ice Age" considered a masterpiece because of the abilities of (choose one):

1. the director
  2. the copywriter/story/plot
  3. the animators

:angel

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_FINAL.gif

;)

jaclaz

@ jaclaz and dencorso:

Thanks for your kind words, dencorso, and again a *big thanks* for "Facepalm". If you look at the animation, you can see what a big part of the story that is.

But any success of the Duck emoticon project is definitely due to a MSFN team effort: I'd say mostly to jaclaz for his screenplay and his *compacting* of the scenario yesterday. To me, that made all the difference -- in speeding the story along and eliminating "irrelevant" emoticon boog-a-loo.

I really didn't do all that much. I just ripped off -- either in part or totally -- existing emoticons. But I guess that makes me a "good artist", for as Picasso said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

I really like watching basketball, college preferably -- (especially the University of Kentucky) -- rather than the pros, but I saw a graphic I liked for the NBA. I cropped it top and bottom and made the following userbar from it, http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/AniMS012sec60frames255colors350x19pxOOED239KB.gif

AniMS012sec60frames255colors350x19pxOOED239KB.gif

This is a frame-by-frame animation: 60 unique frames, 0.12 sec display time per frame, 255 colors, 350x19px, 239 KB. The image is scrolled vertically at the rate of 3px per frame. The background is a 3-frame animated GIF.

I made the background animation from the GIF below.

Resource.3-frame.GIF(250x250px), 212 KB, http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/Resource3-frameGIF250x250px.gif

Resource3-frameGIF250x250px.gif

To make the background, I simply re-sized this GIF to userbar dimensions, 350x19px, saved each of the 3 frames as a .psd file, and added the same ellipse layer and medium-blue scanlines to each frame. The result is shown below.

3-frame.background.GIF(350x19px), 18 KB, http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/larryb123456/3-framebackgroundGIF350x19px.gif

3-framebackgroundGIF350x19px.gif

I like the way this background "activates" the userbar.

Andthatsalltherewastoit.gif

I really didn't do all that much. I just ripped off -- either in part or totally -- existing emoticons. But I guess that makes me a "good artist", for as Picasso said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

AND, you are now officially :w00t: the Author of the thingy :

jaclaz