nLite.1.4.9.1.exe is an installation setup file not an self-extracting

zebul666

When I go to the download page of nliteos.com, I can download an Installer and below a self-extracting archive.

but the so-called self-extracting archive requires administrator privelege and install file in Program Files/nLite

this looks to me exactly as an installation setup executable. not an archive

a real self-extracting archive extracts file from the file without admin privelege in the current directory.

Why not provide a .zip file instead ???

also the main download links pointing to http://home.midmaine.com/~nlite/nlite/... are broken

Edited by zebul666

What OS are you trying to install this on? Appears to be Vista/Seven/Server2008.

It's JUST a self-extracting WinRAR archive and runs NOTHING. It DOES, however "create" some shortcuts.

If you DON'T want it there, just MOVE the folder after extraction and change the shortcuts accordingly.

Here's the "extract" code (or "installer" if you really want to call it that)

Title=nLite Installation
License=NLITE LICENSE AGREEMENT
{
Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.

2. nLite can be only distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com. Distribution through other websites or in any other form without the author's permission is prohibited.
For distribution through free CD/DVD Magazine addon contact the author for permission.

3. nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

6. MCDBNET2.dll is registered on me (the nLite author) with the royalty-free license and can be distributed only bundled with nLite.

7. nLite is a copyrighted material of Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi. You may not decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer this product. You may not include the parts of nLite in your software without the author's permission. You may not alter or modify nLite in any way or create a new installer for it.

Copyright (C) 2004-2006, Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi
}
Shortcut=D, "nLite.exe", "", "Windows Deployment Tool", "nLite"
Shortcut=P, "nlite.exe", "nLite", "Windows Deployment Tool", "nLite"
Shortcut=P, "WebSite.url", "nLite", "Homepage", "nLite on the Web"

You don't need admin privileges. nLite just assumes you have them and the self-extractor suggests "C:\Program Files\" as unpack directory. If you don't have the rights to extract it there, just choose an other path for extraction and there you go. No admin rights needed.

+4 of the 8 links are dead indeed.

I don't know if it needs admin right or not, but it asks for them. even before I can choose the directory. So there is a flaw there

Also, talking about nlite.exe and not the archive or the installer, nlite.exe also request admin right. And I don't see why either. because copying files, slipstreaming etc ... can be done as anormal user, right ?

I am running windows 7 yes.