optical drive problem

esmo

xp pro sp3. The drives are recognized by the bios and by windows. The respective icons appear as they should. When I insert a disc, the icon changes to show that a disc is indeed in the drive. When I try to read from the disc, I get a blank screen, or a message telling me to insert a disc. After some experimenting I found that if I booted with a disk (not bootable) in one of the drives, that drive could read the inserted disc, except for a music disc. I could even change discs, but just for the current session, and just that drive. If I rebooted without a disc in a drive, neither drive could read an inserted disc. While this works with either drive, it does not work with both together. I can also burn discs. I don't know when this started, because sometimes weeks go by without my needing to use an optical drive. I have tried uninstalling both drives, and Windows reinstalls them properly on the next reboot. Incidentally, if a drive was reading discs, it would continue to do so after recovery from standby or hibernate. Any ideas?

Uninstalling the drives in Device Manager isn't going to do very much anyways. You may want to try to update chipset drivers.

What kind of drives are these? PATA or SATA?

What motherboard do you have?

Can your PC boot off a CD like a Linux Live CD, Memtest or anything?

Do the drives work in Safe Mode?

The drives are identical Optiarc DVD RW drives. I think they are made by Samsung, but not sure. At any rate they are neither PATA nor SATA. My motherboard is Phoenix Technologies 6.00 PG. I am able to boot using my Acronis True Image boot disc. I did not try booting from any other disc. I have never tried reinstalling chipset drivers and I don't know how to do it.

At any rate they are neither PATA nor SATA.

:huh: you might check your facts.

Has it ever worked differently before ? Any hardware change since ? I would begin with checking jumper settings on both devices. They are probably on the same IDE cable. One should be "master", the other one "slave", the master should be at the end of the cable. Or you can have both in "Cable Select".

PATA aka Parallel ATA, previously synonymous with IDE, E-IDE, ATAPI, etc.

If neither PATA nor SATA, also probably not SCSI. :rolleyes:

Phoenix Technologies is your BIOS. What brand of PC is it? If still not sure, go into Device Manager and go into the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section. Look at the properties of any of the PCI IDE controllers, details tab. Then drop-down to Hardware Ids. Post one of the PCI\VEN lines.

My pc is locally built, not a name brand. When I first replied I didn't know that pata is the same as ide. That is what these drives are. What I got for pci/ven is: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB&SUSYS_24D28086&REV_02\3&13COBC5&0&P9.

I wonder if would help to physically disconnect the drives, reboot without them, and reinstall from scratch. I appreciate your interest. Unfortunately I cannot get at my computer on a daily basis, so there may be some delays in my replies.

When I first replied I didn't know that pata is the same as ide.

For the record, it isn't.

The actual connector is the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

IDE is the very old name, since 1994 at least they should really be called ATA, and, to be picky, anything "optical" is ATA/ATAPI.

SATA is actually Serial ATA, and to avoid misunderstandings previous ATA was renamed Parallel ATA or PATA.

jaclaz

My pc is locally built, not a name brand. When I first replied I didn't know that pata is the same as ide. That is what these drives are. What I got for pci/ven is: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB&SUSYS_24D28086&REV_02\3&13COBC5&0&P9.

I wonder if would help to physically disconnect the drives, reboot without them, and reinstall from scratch. I appreciate your interest. Unfortunately I cannot get at my computer on a daily basis, so there may be some delays in my replies.

Here are your chipset drivers to install:

Chipset: INF Update Utility for 848, 865, 875, 910, 915, 925 Chipset-Based Intel Desktop Boards