NEW avast! Free 6.0.1203

Hi guys, the latest version of avast! Free when installed silently with a batch file using the "/SILENT" or "/VERYSILENT" command, installs automatically GoogleUpdate and Chrome. With the previous version of avast! there were no problems. I've also tried to add this REG key to prevent Chrome installation:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Google\No Chrome Offer Until]

"AVAST Software"=dword:01404cff

While this trick works with other softwares (for example CCleaner), with avast! it doesn't work. Anyway i've posted here without success:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81104.0

Have you any idea? Thank you!

Hi guys, the latest version of avast! Free when installed silently with a batch file using the "/SILENT" or "/VERYSILENT" command, installs automatically GoogleUpdate and Chrome. ...

I am looking at this, but haven't come up with anything yet.

I can't find any way to extract the msi from setup_av_free.exe to have a peek at the property table to see if there are any values that can disable the Google software installation.

Even if the user opts out using the GUI install, a Google key is added to HKLM/Software, which is annoying.

One possible solution will be to create an AutoIT script to run the GUI install and opt out, then delete the google registry key afterwards.

The mods in the Avast forum have not revealed anything, so it appears their new policy is to force the Google software installation with the free version of Avast when the install is done silently.

BTW, if AvastFree is installed when the system is offline, only Google Update is put on the system.

• 3 weeks later...

My investigations concluded that during the installation of avast the process named avsx.exe is responsible to install chrome.

Just block avsx.exe from running and chrome will be not installed.

I.e. Add to Registry the following entry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avsx.exe]

"Debugger"="logonui.exe"

After run avast setup silently. Do not forget after the installation has finished to remove that entry from the registry.

Regards

My investigations concluded that during the installation of avast the process named avsx.exe is responsible to install chrome.

Just block avsx.exe from running and chrome will be not installed.

I.e. Add to Registry the following entry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avsx.exe]

"Debugger"="logonui.exe"

I confirm the information in bitlover's post.

The following config.txt works with avast Free 6.0.1203 and the modified 7zsfx module (v.1.5.0.2100 beta) to create an AVAST FREE 6 silent installer with no Chrome or Google update.

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
GUIMode="2"
MiscFlags="4"
RunProgram="regedit /s \"%%T\\Avast6Registration.reg\""
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c reg add \"HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Image File Execution Options\\avsx.exe\" /v Debugger /t REG_SZ /d logonui.exe /f"
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c reg add \"HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\AVAST Software\\Avast\" /v UpdateReady /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001 /f"
RunProgram="setup_av_free.exe /Silent"
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c reg delete HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Google /f"
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c reg delete \"HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Image File Execution Options\\avsx.exe\" /f"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Avast6Registration.reg contains two entries ("RegData" and "Registration") exported from the registry ( HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVAST Software\Avast).

This installer works in an XP SP3 virtual machine, I haven't tested it at RunOnceEx yet.

If anyone wants Chrome or Google Update don't use this.

• 5 weeks later...

A user in the Avast Forums posted the following command line to silently install Avast and prevent Google Chrome installation:

/VERYSILENT /NORESTART /SP- /"Chrome"="false"

The poster claimed it worked for a Win7 unattended installation.

I've tried that command line with the latest version of Avast (6.0.1279.0) on Win XP SP3 and it doesn't work for me.

Can anyone confirm that command on any Win version?

A user in the Avast Forums posted the following command line to silently install Avast and prevent Google Chrome installation:

/VERYSILENT /NORESTART /SP- /"Chrome"="false"

The poster claimed it worked for a Win7 unattended installation.

I've tried that command line with the latest version of Avast (6.0.1279.0) on Win XP SP3 and it doesn't work for me.

Can anyone confirm that command on any Win version?

I've tried the trick on XP SP3 Virtual Machine with the latest official version of avast! and it doesn't work.

I did a test install that did not install chrome, however GoogleUpdate.exe did appear in Task Manager but this system did not have access to the internet.

setup_av_free.exe /silent /oem

Available switches:

/silent

/verysilent

/oem

/msi

/autorun

I didn't try /msi or /autorun to see what that did.

Available switches:

/silent

/verysilent

/oem

/msi

/autorun

I didn't try /msi or /autorun to see what that did.

Thanks Tripredacus.

I have tried all the above switches except /autorun in various combinations, and both with and without /"Chrome"="false" as an additional switch, but none prevent Google Update from being added to ProgramFiles and the registry (HKLM).

If a silent install without Chrome or Google Update is possible using only command line switches, then there must be another switch or a parameter added to one of the switches.

This type of install will creates an ini file in the Temp folder, which it uses as its answer file. It makes it based on the choices you make in the GUI. I didn't see any other switches that let you provide an answer file, also not even the /Chrome one you mention.

The main setup uses something called "SFXSTUB" while looks to just do an extract, however the files it extracts doesn't have a normal .exe from what I can see.

• 4 months later...

avast 6.0.1367 comes with google 16.0.912.63

one method is to leave avast to finish the job, kill chrome and uninstall with

"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\16.0.912.63\Installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --multi-install --chrome --system-level --force-uninstall

This method works only if the computer is not connected to internet, otherwise chrome is updating itself to a superior version.

There is a package at RyanVM forum for creating a silent, switchless installer for the current version of AvastFree which prevents GoogleUpdate and the older VC runtimes from installing.

Be sure you have VC runtimes installed before using the created installer. Works at RunOnceEx also.

Look here:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9413&sid=ce75bd66d348e7d2ee8a5af5e145228e

• 9 months later...