RAMDisk software program

E-66

http://memory.datara...oftware/ramdisk

Just wondering if anyone here has used this program and what their thoughts are.

I remember setting up an XMS/EMS ram disk back when I used Win98 to try to improve my internet browsing speed, but that was a long time ago. I was wondering if it might be worthwhile using this program and thought I'd ask if anyone here had any experience with it. Thanks.

jaclaz is right, of course! :)

I think that probably the best ramdisk is still the freeware Gavotte Ramdisk (v. 1.0.4096.5 [2008-11-13]) and the free version of the VSuite Ramdisk is another good alternative. The Dataram Ramdisk has the annoying problem that you can only define the letter it'll take in case you load an image to it, or else it'll take the first available disk letter. And, well, if you want to actually boot from a ramdisk, the freeware FiraDisk is the one and only option.

In any case, all this info was already in the links jaclaz pointed you to. So, all I did here was to give you my opinion, and to point you directly to the ramdrives I think best. YMMV, of course.

@dencorso

NO. :no:

The "best" (of course IMHO) for normal use is IMDISK, for TWO reasons:

1. it is faster than Firadisk and WinVblock (and Gavotte's)
  2. it works at a "higher level" than other ones mentioned (i.e. doesn't create a Physicaldrive, doesn't interact with Disk Management)

There is in practice no or very little difference in the capabilities of Firadisk and in those of WinVblock, the two projects are developed "in parallel" and features that become available in one are usually quickly added to the other also.

In this exact moment (but tomorrow I could be able to say the opposite ;)) WinVblock is one little step ahead because of the experimental "delay load" mechanism that helps in booting on some ICHx moitherboards.

jaclaz

@jaclaz:

NO. :no:

Anything that isn't perceived by the OS as a Physicaldrive, preferably present from very early on (say: Start=0, Boot or System Bus Extender group) won't allow moving the pagefile to it (in case one wants to), anything that's high-level won't be able to access memory above the 3.2-3.5 GiB, which the OS doesn't see. The Gavotte is perfect for both. And works like clockwork. And is always clean and pristine after a reboot. It's not very fast, but still way faster than any real physical disk, SSDs included. And lets the user set the drive letter. And lets the user set it as fixed, removable, floppy or even as a RAM disk!

As I said before, YMMV. So, let's agree to disagree. :yes:

And thanks for the update on Firadisk and WinVblock! :thumbup

Many interesting things are happening at reboot (aka boot-land) that I haven't been able to follow closely...

I still think of it as boot-land, since, for me, reboot is way too vague...

As I said before, YMMV. So, let's agree to disagree. :yes:

Sure :), it's a deal.

That's why I said "normal" use, like temporary internet files, etc.

Since you have not enough RAM, then you create a pagefile, i.e. a (very slow) extension of physical memory residing on a disk.

Then you make a Ramdisk (that uses RAM) to put the pagefile on it instead. :blink:

Of course if you have more than 3 ( or 3.2 or whatever is the exact limit) Gb of RAM, AND use a 32 bit OS, then the Gavotte's Ramdisk is a way to use the extra (otherwise unusable) when (and only when) you "saturate" the "lower" 3 Gb (or whatever) of RAM.

In my book this is not "normal", but rather an "exceptional" case, where you BOTH have a need for lots of RAM AND you don't have a 64 bit OS.

AND there are reports of stability with /PAE:

http://reboot.pro/4064/

And yes, in this case IMDISK is NOT the "right" tool:

http://reboot.pro/7973/

Beware of "doctors" agreeing :ph34r: :

http://reboot.pro/13601/page__st__89

jaclaz

• 6 months later...

I have a short question...

Is there any ramdisk software that allows using of additional (unrecognised) memory under a 32-bit Windows but with /PAE switch not enabled?

I'm asking because the graphics driver here doesn't work with PAE enabled.

Edited by tomasz86

I have a short question...

Is there any ramdisk software that allows using of additional (unrecognised) memory under a 32-bit Windows but with /PAE switch not enabled?

I'm asking because the graphics driver here doesn't work with PAE enabled.

Yes/No.

http://reboot.pro/15911/

YMMV :ph34r: and "under 32-bit Windows" is slightly less INaccurate :whistle: than "under an OS" :w00t:

jaclaz

Actually I've tried many programs already and none worked (I saw that topic too). That's why I'm writing here. Is Ramdisk Plus the only option? It doesn't work in Windows 2000 so it's not for me anyway :}

This is what I tried:

Gavotte Ramdisk

ImDisk

Vsuite Ramdisk

and tried to install Dataram RAMDisk and Ramdisk Plus but Dataram's configuration program won't start (the driver itself seems to work) and in case of Ramdisk Plus even though I tried to play with dependencies the driver does not start.

Edited by tomasz86

Actually I've tried many programs already and none worked (I saw that topic too). That's why I'm writing here. Is Ramdisk Plus the only option? It doesn't work in Windows 2000 so it's not for me anyway :}

I don't want to seem grumpier than I normally am, but SEVERAL ramdisk "options" have been listed (and most if not all of them will "normally" work).

BUT you put so many "limits" that it is very possible that such a tool, you want Win2k AND >3 Gb AND NOT use /PAE :w00t: simply does not exist.

Would they work under 2K?

You try and report.

Would any of them work with /PAE or without /PAE?

You try and report.

I pointed you to a possibility (UNTESTED by me) which is NOT IMDISK, but rather IMDISK in connection with AWEALLOC.

Will it work "under 32-bit Windows" ?

Up to you to try and report, but please do report EXACTLY, with DETAILS.

I.e. a report like this has NO USE whatsoever.

This is what I tried:

Gavotte Ramdisk

ImDisk

Vsuite Ramdisk

and tried to install Dataram RAMDisk and Ramdisk Plus but Dataram's configuration program won't start (the driver itself seems to work) and in case of Ramdisk Plus even though I tried to play with dependencies the driver does not start.

I suggested you to try using IMDISK+AWEALLOC, you do not answer "Yeah, I already tried IMDISK". :realmad:

Just for the record, the whole "catalog" (AFAIK) of Filedisk/Ramdisk drivers that work "under some versions of NT based 32-bit Windows (and possibly with different features available under different versions of NT based 32-bit Windows) is here:

http://reboot.pro/1507/

jaclaz

I hope this report will be fine :o

1. When PAE is enabled I can use all 8 GB RAM without problems. Even by using Gavotte RAMDisk I can make a 4 GB ram based partition and use it smoothly.

2. I cannot use /PAE at this system because graphics driver (BlackWingCat's Catalyst drivers) does not work with PAE enabled.

3. I tried using awealloc but the situation is the same as the other person had in that topic ("Not enough storage is available to process this command"). Even with awealloc enabled I can use only the available amount of RAM (3.668 GB out of 8 GB installed) for a ram drive and cannot exceed the 3.668 GB limit.

I know that "normally" most of these applications would work because I did run them successfully when PAE was enabled. The problem is that I cannot turn PAE on because the graphics driver won't even start after reboot. That's why I want to try something different. Out of the software available, as far as I see, only Ramdisk Plus uses a different mechanism to access the memory not recognised by the system but it doesn't work in Win2k.

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz86:

Endlessy restating your issue will just annoy those responding and lead nowhere.

Did you try the Gavotte with UsePAE=1 in the registry, but without the /PAE switch on boot.ini?

If so, what happens?

Moreover, did you consider asking BlackWingCat to debug the Catalyst Drivers with /PAE enabled?

He probably can have success at it, and that would expand the usability of his modded Catalyst Drivers.

When you're fast riding a motorcycle and see a high wall ahead, it's much easier to try to steer around it than trying to jump above it, and the odds of steering around successfully are way better than the odds of succeeding at a motorcycle high wall jump, no matter how good a rider you may be. :whistle:

I had tried Gavotte with UsePAE=1 too but it didn't change anything when PAE is disabled in the system itself. As for the driver, I've already written in the other topic about it but the issue with this driver is actually much more complicated. The newest version of it (11.x) causes a BSOD when running a cmd script (I already mentioned it here a few months ago) so I tried both 10.x and 9.x and they don't have that problem. On the other hand, the PAE issue is present regardless of which version (9.x, 10.x, 11.x) I use. My intuition says that it may be caused by the driver itself, not necessarily by the BlackWingCat's 2K adaptation of it. Of course I won't know it for sure until BlackWingCat tests it himself.

The funny thing is that now, when I've already solved the freezing cmd problem and I'm 99% sure that it's not hardware related, I can just switch the mainboard to the other one I own which has the same socket but is based on Nvidia chipset with integrated GeForce graphic card. There are no problems related to PAE with that one (and official drivers actually work with 2K so there's no need to use any unofficial version). Switching mainboards and reinstalling the system will take around 1-2 hours so it's probably much more efficient and economical than spending days fighting with this thing :ph34r:

Thanks for trying to help me anyway ;)

When you're fast riding a motorcycle and see a high wall ahead, it's much easier to try to steer around it than trying to jump above it, and the odds of steering around successfully are way better than the odds of succeeding at a motorcycle high wall jump, no matter how good a rider you may be. :whistle:

....and maybe if you ask the wall nicely it could move a little bit and let you pass.....;)

:lol:

jaclaz