2 Routers Configuration

I just update my internet speed from 10 mbps to 50 mpbs.

Router 1 - Vizio XWR100 = Private Network or Surfing the net securely

Router 2 - Surfboard SBG6580 Wi-fi Cable Modem Gateway = Surfing the net securely or Private Network (Rented from the Cable Company)

I have a HP M7160N with Windows 2000 Server. ( Not installed @ the moment, running WinXP Pro)

2 ethernet cards

Intel Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

Realtek 10/100/1000

4gb of ram

All the latest drivers. .

How do I configure a secure set up? You can never have too much security.

From Surfboard Docs it claims that...

Surfboard is a DHCP Server/Gateway (more a DHCP+"switch") with WiFi Protection (i.e. lock-out of "bandwidth" stealers) and "time limiting" for Parental Control (Go to bed Junior - Internet time is up!)

This is you front-end and offers no Firewall protection.

The Router is your Firewall.

So... for any WiFi PC's (or direct connect) you'll need per-PC Firewall. For non-WiFi PC's connect through the Router for Firewall (connect the Router to the SB).

Be aware of the extra "hop" and the potential DHCP-server conflict between the two.

(A loose suggestion based on low-end knowledge).

If you only have one computer and no need for wifi, you should disable wifi on the "router" (they are more modem than router) you want to keep as you don't need both.

Edited by allen2

This is you front-end and offers no Firewall protection.

Well when i was playing with the options it did have a firewall option. Are you saying the firewall it has is no good?

If you only have one computer and no need for wifi, you should disable wifi on the "router" (they are more modem than router) you want to keep as you don't need both.

I have six computers, 3 desktops and 3 laptops.

So, I probably shouldn't disable this feature.

The SB gateway modem has more features than my router has, half of which I don't understand. So I will need you guys guidance if possible.

Thanks.

P.S

The SB gateway modem is how I connect to the internet so it is indeed needed.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Then i would disable wifi on the SBG6580 then i would connect right behind the Vizio XWR100 with an ethernet cable.

Then i would connect the computers to the Vizio XWR100 either by wifi or ethernet and use wpa2 and wifi mac address filtering. Then you'll need to set up firewall rules on Vizio XWR100. By default you should at least block incoming tcp/udp ports 1-1024 except those you need.

?re - the SB...

I read the Guide/Manual - it only has WPS (etc) strictly for blocking WiFi access (secured vs unsecured) only (reference allen2's post - MAC filtering for WiFi). I seen no Firewall.

And obviously the SB is required (it's your Cable Modem).

Again - Anything connected behind the SB will need Firewalled (Software Firewall, e.g. XP-and-up)- With Router connected to SB, anything connected behind the Router will not. Be aware this is an Incoming Firewall, not an Outgoing (as in a Software Firewall e.g. Symantec).

You might want to read up a little on the difference between Hubs, Switches, Routers. Your SB is a slightly more sophisticated Switch in that it has a DHCP Server, Parental "Block Control", and WPS/WEP/(whatever) but is not a Full Router.

(I haven't looked up your Router...)

edit - this doesn't match what I see in the Manual -

Wi-Fi Security WEP/WPA/WPA2

Advanced firewall with DoS protection and intrusion prevention

Wi-Fi Wizard for secure PC client setup

Remote configuration and monitoring from the headend using SNMP and TFTP

Enhanced security: supports AES traffic encryption

Found this also. Apparently the docs stink and tell next to nothing! In addition, Line#2 above is misleading - it's just NAT, not a "firewall" and the "firewall" features are extremely limited and "non-configurable" (checkmarks ON/OFF?).

Looked up your router. Did you check out the Advanced section? It has VASTLY more than the Surfboard, like Port Forwarding etc. (standard Router fare).

Edited by submix8c

Windows 2000 Server.

<snip>

How do I configure a secure set up? You can never have too much security.

Don't let an unpatched server go near the internet, or any machines you don't trust.

Did you check out the Advanced section? It has VASTLY more than the Surfboard, like Port Forwarding etc. (standard Router fare).

Yes i already have my router configure somewhat. I still need to configure things that I don't understand, but first I have to get this modem working with my router,

then secure my network and then setup my Windows 2000 Server.

Thanks you guys for taking the time to help me out.

Yeah I hate how they just give you on/off options with very little or no description at all.

Don't let an unpatched server go near the internet, or any machines you don't trust.

I agree with you 100%. This is why I trying to configure everything so I don't mess up my Server once its up.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

192.168.0.1 <-SB

192.168.1.1 <-Router

Both on same subnet. Theoretically, should work by hooking WAN of Router to LAN of SB. Router will get a 192.168.0.x. Port Forwarding (you own Websites) and Gaming will be the toughie since the SB doesn't have that facility. Sharing within the Local Network should be ok.

Edited by submix8c

192.168.0.1 <-SB

192.168.1.1 <-Router

Both on same subnet. Theoretically, should work by hooking WAN of Router to LAN of SB. Router will get a 192.168.0.x. Port Forwarding (you own Websites) and Gaming will be the toughie since the SB doesn't have that facility. Sharing within the Local Network should be ok.

You lost me there.

Are you saying i should configure my modem to use the router or vice versa?

should work by hooking WAN of Router to LAN of SB

BTW my router is using 10.x.x..x

my wireless cards get a stronger signal from the modem than the router. Why is that?

They are both on the desk next to each other.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Those IP's are the values to get into the Hardware's Setup Interface (per the documentation). Your Router must have been "modified" to be using the other IP you mention. The speed is better because you are not "hopping" through the Router. Bet if you "reset" the Router it will then use the Default IP (192.168.1.1) and Password. Read the Documentation a bit (I got both of yours for this info). You STILL have to go through the Modem to get to the WAN.

Edited by submix8c

Those IP's are the values to get into the Hardware's Setup Interface (per the documentation). Your Router must have been "modified" to be using the other IP you mention. The speed is better because you are not "hopping" through the Router. Bet if you "reset" the Router it will then use the Default IP (192.168.1.1) and Password. Read the Documentation a bit (I got both of yours for this info). You STILL have to go through the Modem to get to the WAN.

Are you reading the PDF files because thats all the documentation I have?

Userguide_en.pdf - SB

549XWR100.PDF

I have had my router for about 8 or 9 months.

It passes all test on grc.com

For as advance configuration I'm not that good. Everything is pretty much a basic setup, because i'm not that network savvy.

I have read the pdf files but still lost as to what configuration should be enable/disable etc......

So I just use default configurations.

For instance, it doesn't tell you to disable this if you have a router or if you have a switch hub etc.....

It just says this means this. Figure it out

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Yup -

SB User Guide - SURFboard_SBG6580_UserGuide.pdf

Router Guide - 549XWR100 User Manual.pdf

Straight from the Manufacturer.

The time you've had the router is irrelevant. It's the Interface setup that makes me believe you MUST have changed from 192.x to 10.x series. Again, as for the SB, there are no "options" except what I've indicated. Like I said, if you want to Play Interactive Online Games -or- set up your own WWW or FTP Server, you'll have some problems with the SB because it doesn't have that facility unless you "turn off" that simple Firewall.

Please reread what I've previously stated. It's that way or no way... (It's all in the Manuals and links I provided)

Unless... someone else can say different, I believe I am correct.

my wireless cards get a stronger signal from the modem than the router. Why is that?

They are both on the desk next to each other.

It depends on what wireless channel they are on. They could be interfering with each other. You should do a site survey if either of your routers have that option. You could also do some "testing" by seeing how the signal is with only one or the other turned on at a time.

After reading up on this apparently, I'm suppose to bridge everything.

I need some suggestions on bridging devices.

I've been on google already, some sh!t accurate some sh!t not.

I'm not sure what is what.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD