Install Win XP and Office 2003 Problem - SOLVED!

My bad on that change. But, I mistyped before. I did not find a source.log when I used nlite.cmd. Does it matter where this command file is placed on the USB?

Tomorrow, I will delete the batch.cmd and create the nlite.cmd with the code you provided and try install. Just want to make sure if location of the nlite.cmd is important.

Thanks again!

Edited by Mobes

Just want to make sure if location of the nlite.cmd is important.

Does exist a file nlite.cmd at USB stick?

Which location goes to nlite.cmd at USB stick currently. Keep this location.

cdob - I am having trouble locating nlite.cmd on my USB. I know I found it yesterday, post #23?? I just finished USB multiboot again and tried to search nlite.cmd and still cannot find.

I believe you want me to find and edit nlite.cmd with the code from post #26, not create a new nlite.cmd with that code, right??

I am having trouble locating nlite.cmd on my USB.
Should be at \$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\

And \txtsetup.sif should list nlite.cmd too.

Does \txtsetup.sif contains lines with nlite.cmd? Copy and paste this lines.

I believe you want me to find and edit nlite.cmd with the code from post #26
Yes, that's it.

The only two nlite files I'm finding are: nlite.cm_ and nlite.in_, both at \$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\. I can't believe this. I seemed to have found this nlite.cmd before??realmad.gif

I did find nlite.cmd = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0 and nlite.cmd = 16 in the txtsetup.sif

Hi submix8c! Thanks! Do I need to copy them to desktop and rename them as .txt? Yesterday, per previous post #23 I searched and found a nlite.cmd file and posted contents. I'm looking to edit the nlite.cmd file with code from post #26.

If I can use those two files, please let me know what I need to do. Thanks again.

Here is a hint (I'm johnny-come-lately on your topic, remember). Also, cdob is directing you on how to MODIFY a CD install to do the Install from USB (I have yet to test the USB Install using this method).

edit - and AFAIK, a CD Install is as you note in nLite. An HDD Install is the same as CD except the $OEM$ folder occurs at a different level, and USB Install must use the WINT(blabla) Folders similar to HDD. There's the basic differences only.

Edited by submix8c

Ok! I think I have it!! I copied the nlite.cm_ to desktop and extracted the file and I appear to have the nlite.cmd!! Do I also need to use the nlite_in?

Thanks submix8c! I know cdob wants me to "edit" the nlite.cmd and run the install. Question is after extracting the nlite.cmd, do I have to "recompress" it back to nlite_cm? If so, I'm using 7zip to extract. I am a bit of a newbie at this. How would I recompress?

Or, if I don't need to do any of that can the nlite.cmd with the new code provided just be at the root of my USB?

Thanks again, guys!

"Makecab filename.abc" will yield a "filename.ab_" by default. Open CMD prompt, "CD x:\foldername", then "x:" gets you to wherever (the folder path) you decompressed "filename.ab_". "filename.ab_" must not exist when you MakeCab, so you might want to back up the original compressed one (MOVE it!).

On the CD, you'll note the $OEM$ folder is on the ROOT. In an HDD install, the $OEM$ is located under the I386 Folder. Similarly, for USB, it will be under the \$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\ folder. Generally speaking, when installing from CD (or HDD) the $OEM$ folder gets "copied" to the ~LS position on the HDD (as on USB). That's why the USB-install is done the "special" way it is.

Have you ever noted the "Copying Files" during a CD install? That's where they're being copied to - ~BT is (kind of) the "PE Boot" and ~LS is (kind of) the Base "Install from" folder.

Edited by submix8c

The only two nlite files I'm finding are: nlite.cm_ and nlite.in_, both at \$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\

Yes, that's compressed files.

Yes, expand nlite.cmd and copy file to \$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\nlite.cmd. Edit this file.

Delete \$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\nlite.cm_

No need to compress file again.

Ignore nlite.in_

ok! I will be back in a few minutes! I think I messed up my file "playing around" with it! I'm going back to USB multiboot. I will make the edits and then do an install and hopefully post some results!

Thanks again!

mobes

"Makecab filename.abc" will yield a "filename.ab_" by default. Open CMD prompt, "CD x:\foldername", then "x:" gets you to wherever (the folder path) you decompressed "filename.ab_". "filename.ab_" must not exist when you MakeCab, so you might want to back up the original compressed one (MOVE it!).

On the CD, you'll note the $OEM$ folder is on the ROOT. In an HDD install, the $OEM$ is located under the I386 Folder. Similarly, for USB, it will be under the \$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\ folder. Generally speaking, when installing from CD (or HDD) the $OEM$ folder gets "copied" to the ~LS position on the HDD (as on USB). That's why the USB-install is done the "special" way it is.

Have you ever noted the "Copying Files" during a CD install? That's where they're being copied to - ~BT is (kind of) the "PE Boot" and ~LS is (kind of) the Base "Install from" folder.

Thanks for the info submix8c! I definitely like to learn some of the details as to how/why things work.

SUCCESS!!:thumbup

Just finished installing WinXP and Office 2003 from my USB!! Thanks to everyone on this thread for your help and information. I'm really doing this to continue to help me with my technical knowledge and to just to know I can do it! Will also be much helpful since my Desktop PC will not install from the CD/DVD reader.

So, am I right in understanding that we first had to determine that the Batch.cmd had been modified by USB multiboot to nlite.cmd. And then, since we are installing from a hard drive, we had to modify the nlite.cmd to point to the U: drive for the USB in order to kick off the nlite.cmd and install Office?? I'm sure I'm probably not right in what I'm saying....

Thanks cdob for sticking with me the last few days. I did not find a source.log at C:\. Is there anything else you want me to try to do?

mobes

post-319158-0-18363800-1305669965_thumb.