(SOLVED) What Gives after 4 Primary Drives

bookie32

Have been trying for an hour to upload info and can't get any where?!!

Are you by any chance attempting to attach "binary" files, or however anything that is not any of:

• a .jpg or .gif or .png picture
  • a plain text file (or similar, like .htm, xml, etc.)
  • a compressed archive .zip or .7z

? :unsure:

Try compressing files into a .zip archive, and attach the actual .zip.

Check that the .zip is within the size of your allowed upload.

If not, post it on any free file hosting site and post a link to the uploaded .zip.

@myselfidem

Very good suggestions :thumbup , though personally (better be safe than sorry :ph34r: ) I would make a dd-like (forensic sound) image of the WHOLE internal disk "as is", EXPECIALLY for the first experiment, and in case of any trouble simply restore the image.

jaclaz

@myselfidem

Very good suggestions :thumbup , though personally (better be safe than sorry :ph34r: ) I would make a dd-like (forensic sound) image of the WHOLE internal disk "as is", EXPECIALLY for the first experiment, and in case of any trouble simply restore the image.

jaclaz

Oh yes jaclaz, it's far better to test before and save first the system! ;)

I have experienced with my computer HP and Windows XP, before!

Edited by myselfidem

Using windows software to shrink a partition will not upset your warranty.

I wonder what would you do after shrinking drive C without also changing it from primary partition into logical unit, and AFAIK warranty would be lost.

If you instead try to create any new unit into the free space all existing units would be transformed into dynamic, and this is no good at all.

Manufacturers don't leave you any way to optimize your HDD without losing your warranty, I'm afraid.

No other solution left but building an image into an external drive and a repair disk to restore everything to its first state whenever needed, then optimize freely the whole HDD and reinstall using an install DVD or pendrive.

Edited by cannie

Yes cannie, I think so.

And inside the new partition created, it's needed to use a program, like Acronis True Image or others or Windows 7 feature, to create an image backup of the system!!

However, if HP said that the warranty is safe with creating a new partition....It's interesting to test!!

In the worst case it is possible to use the recovery DVD's (I think about 3 DVD's) burned at FIRST!

Edited by myselfidem

But if HP said that the warranty is safe with creating a new partition....It's interesting to test!!

I already tested it after obtaining a HDD image, a repair disk and also a repair pendrive (to be used if the DVD drive becomes damaged). The results after reducing the C drive size and creating a new drive into the left space: all units were transformed into dynamic ones! . No more primary partitions or logical units at all.

Then I deleted everything and rebuilt the whole HDD freely using the 32 bits mode of the same 64 bits preinstalled Windows version for compatibility reasons. No problems with Microsoft at all when I activated it using the same activation key.

Until warranty expires no better solution as having the possibility of rebuilding everything, leaving the computer as it was when it was delivered to you.

Edited by cannie

Many thanks cannie for your sharing!

I think the trouble is to keep the recovery partition D:\ and create a new one reducing the partition C:\

First it's better to delete this partition (D:\) with the method discribed here - AND NOT DIRECTLY- , to MERGE C:\ and D:\; because some files are shared between those two partitions:

http://www.mydigital...in-hp-computer/

And after create a new partition!

*Edit:

@brokie32

It would be interesting to know which tools are inside the "HP Tools". Maybe some tools can delete the partition merging C:\ and D:\??

With HP and Windows XP, the only method was to create an CD Tools to do delete the recovery parttion D:\ and create a new parttion with the same CD Tools.

Edited by myselfidem

It would be interesting to know which tools are inside the "HP Tools".

You can't see it directly but all needed tools and drivers from both drives D and E are included into a folder ("swsetup", "cabs" or other name) created during the manufacturer's preinstall process into drive C. But you need both primary partitions in order to use the original function key to rebuild C drive.

The only real problem is loosing warranty.

BTW the whole process I followed to rebuild everything from scratch trying to find the best solution for everything is described here:

"How to optimize your HDD for Windows 7"

cannie :), don't take this question as an aggressive one, but can you please explain HOW the warranty is supposed to be lost by re-partitioning a hard disk?

Or if you prefer, WHERE you learned this bit of info that is completely new to me and actually the exact contrary of what bookie32 assertedly had from HP?

Rest assured that it is perfectly possible to avoid Dynamic disks using an extended partition (though there is not really any particular problem that I know of with Dynamic disks, as long as they are not mirrored and striped, and they remain "simple volumes", at least :unsure:)

jaclaz

cannie :), don't take this question as an aggressive one, but can you please explain HOW the warranty is supposed to be lost by re-partitioning a hard disk?

Hi jaclaz!

Maybe I'm wrong, I've never had to use warranty until now.

If warranty is not in danger leaving free a primary partition to allow an extended partition is of course the best solution.

Greetings.

cannie

Edited by cannie

Got them. :)

No MBR copy, though. :(

Basic info Gathered from the posted images:

1. NTFS System <no drive letter> 199 Mb 208662528
  2. NTFS <NO LABEL> C: 277,90 Gb 298389073920
  3. NTFS Recovery D: 19,90 Gb 21364731904
  4. FAT32 HP_TOOLS <no drive letter> 103 Mb 104161280

At first sight the 199 Mb partition is "queer", AFAIK the RTM makes a 100 Mb one and only the Beta used the 200 Mb sized one. :unsure:

Someone more familiar with 7 may correct or confirm the above.

What is inside the HP_TOOLS partition?

When does it "come into play"?

jaclaz

Hi again!

In my humble opinion I don't think that HP Tools is for the general bozo...LOL

These are tools for experienced users and not the general customer I get....What are HP thinking about?

Just my opinion...LOL

bookie32