Sound Driver Problem

Hartismere

Hello, I've wandered around the site searching for a definitive answer to this, but the wandering just continues. My system is self-built. I'm running XP SP3. In Device Manager I'm getting the dreaded yellow question mark, under "Other Devices",/"Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus".

Many responses exist, but all are vague and unspecific in their reference. Some refer to HP, some to other manufacturers, some offer Realtek, and some offer AC97. Like, we know the difference. If we knew the difference we wouldn't be here asking the question. Think about it.

How can anyone glean useful information from such a plethora of stuff?

All refer to separate devices.

How do we know which device is being referred to? That information is not provided in the Device Manager message.

If you suggest that the user should know which device is being referred to, consider this...

I have installed and run an infosys program - quite detailed and, to my knowledge mostly correct. But it offers...

Sound

Sound chip vendor Nvidia Corp

Sound Chip nForce 430(MCP61)High Definition Audio

AC'97HDA Codec Name Realtek ALC662-GR

Sound Chip Vendor ATI Technologies Inc

Sound Chip RV730XT Audio Devbice (Radeon HD 4670)

AC'97/HDA Codec Name ATI R600 HDMI

(Unable to get the layout I wanted, hope the emboldened face will indicate which is title and which is result.)

So, it appears I have two audio chipsets. One Nvidia, and one Realtek. Why? And why would anyone expect there to be two audio chips in the one motherboard? One wouldn't except if one lived in Wonderland, or drank too much. Why two chipsets?

And so, how can we possibly know which the error is referring to when it (Microsoft/Device Manager) doesn't tell us. Madness. And why doesn't it tell us more than it does. The information given in Device Manager is meagre, and of no practical use. All posters are getting the same message despite them experiencing the problem from many different machines.

The other problem, of course, and with respect, is that most people responding do not understand what it is to not understand, and they assume that the poster has a clue. If you post you must answer all questions, including the unasked ones, that's what distinguishes a good teacher froma a bad one. Always assume that the questioners understand nothing, not even how to make tea. Start from scratch. So many posts offer do this, do that, without ever once explaining HOW one does this or does that. If you tell someone to do this or do that, please make sure that you clearly explain HOW they do this or do that. Or you post will be meaningless.

So, weve got a manufacturer that screwed up with the installation disc and failed to account for two chips, apparently, then we've got the the evidence of two sound chips, which is of itself baffling, then we've got a message from Microsoft's Device Manager which tells us nothing, and then we've got people who clearly assume we understand the system thoroughly, as they don't clearly explain themselves. No wonder these threads just go elsewhere and go on and on and on.

I have trawled the net for quite some time looking for a way to remove that yellow question mark. Nothing, Nada!. Too much fluff.

And so, what do you think? Anyone have a clue as to how we solve this problem. I've given you the parameters for response. Don't tell me to do something without giving full instructions; don't ask me for information without giving me full instructions about how I go about gathering that information. Leave no holes.

Many thanks. Hope you are well.

B.

A way to quickly determine is to open Device Manager and do the following:

post-236786-0-13026400-1292967327_thumb.

Copying the Hardware IDs and searching for them will tell you for sure which device you need. You specifically need the VEN(dor) and DEV(ice) numbers.

E.g. VEN_10EC is for Realtek, DEV_0880 is model ALC880.

Cheers

Hi Hartismere, your situation is a little confusing, but nothing to worry about. You indeed have two devices in your system: onboard audio and another one on the graphics card (in order to play sound through HDMI; that was done because the music/film industry don't trust the users and want to protect "their" audio from being copied).

Note: I'm going by the Infosys data, so if the program is wrong, I'm too. :whistle:

The motherboard chipset is Nvidia nForce 430. Unfortunately, it was made just around or after the time they stopped adding their own audio chip in the MCP (motherboard chipset) and left it to motherboard manufactures to include whatever audio chip they wanted. By the way, this is the driver for your chipset, but as you can see it contains no audio, unlike the ones for previous nForce generations.

So, for your first audio card, you need to download driver from your motherboard manufacturer, or try to use this from Realtek (second/third option).

For the second card I think you need this from ATI.

One thing I'm unsure of (because I don't have a Radeon) is that, in the Realtek link, there is also a driver for "ATI HDMI Audio Device", so you might try to use that for the second card if the ATI one doesn't want to install.

Also, to be on the safe side, do as Sp0iLedBrAt told you and maybe post it here.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

My system is self-built.

Talk about plethora of stuff... :whistle:

Is it self built ...by you or buy someone else ? Assuming you can't make tea, I'd say someone else.

Can you give the brand and model of that motherboard ?

Are you 100% sure the install cd you refer to is matching that exact model ? Does it say so on its label/sleeve/box ?

Has no additional sound card be plugged in ?

(+Bashing people even before they reply won't help your case.) :angel

• 1 month later...

Hi, This is driving me up the wall.

Error message...

AUDIO DEVICE ON HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO BUS

Yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager.

I have been searching for a solution for this error for ages. I have visited many, many forums, and used many, many search engines. Nothing works. I have visited the sites of the motherboard maufacturer (AMD ECS), and of the device manufacturer (Realtek), and MicroSoft. Nothing works.

Nothing will solve this error message. Today I tried again, and was directed to a Microsoft place. I actually, stupidly, held out hope. Fool I am.

I downloaded the MS file, and then, as if in insult and with laughter, the **** thing required a password! Nowhere was I informed that a password was required! Nor was I given one. It was never mentioned. I finally got it to run just by ignoring everything and continuing to press Continue. But, guess what...

It didn't work.

I went into the Realtek logo in the System tray and found a long list of drivers and files associated with the thing. I found each and every one, copied them to a new folder and tried again. I pointed the Found New Hardware at that directory, and, guess what? IT DIDN'T WORK.

I'm sizzling. You could light a cigarette off me. Why is this so difficult to resolve? Why is it happening? And why does NO ONE know how to cure it? Not even the manufacturer? Not even the manufacturer? This is appalling.

Does anyone out there actually know what is going on here? And does anyone know how to resolve it - how to get rid of that yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager? I am sick of following failed instructions and links and programs.

Pleeeeeeease, before you post make sure your solution actually works, because I am totally fed up trying stuff that always fails, and 100% of a million have so far failed.

Fed up, Bob

I have been searching for a solution for this error for ages. I have visited many, many forums,

Pleeeeeeease, before you post make sure your solution actually works, because I am totally fed up trying stuff that always fails, and 100% of a million have so far failed.

Fed up, Bob

You can be fed up, but then you won't be the only one. I consider this double posting and superbly ignoring potential help.