PE Tool for creating patches

WildBill

I've posted a V2 of MS11-012 that's based on the newest-available explorer.exe from MS: see the main listing for an updated download link. Also, this has one more bonus: I've patched a handful of images in explorer.exe and shell32.dll (and hence also included a newer shell32.dll in the patch). The changes are very subtle, basically I've added some 24/32-bit versions of some existing images:

The folder icons and the caution/info/error icons are 32-bit icons, and the others are 24-bit icons.

post-68113-0-34258400-1303086797_thumb.p

What you are doing for the Windows 2000 users out there (including me!) is amazing. I wish I could do the things you're doing and help out with the load, but I can help in another way: I have found out that the XP files for MS11-017, MS11-024, MS11-029 and MS11-033 work with 2000 rather well (Dependency Walker show no problems, Wordpad can open a Word 2000 document fine with the MS11-033 file installed, the FXSCOVER.EXE from XP's MS11-024 update loads up and seems to work fine, the MS11-024 MFC DLLs work with the programs I've tested, the new MSTSC files from MS11-017 work great and the new GDIPLUS.DLL from MS11-029 works with everything I've tested.)

Thanks again for making these updates, which are the reason I was able to bring my old laptop back to life!

- Another happy Win2k user

Edit: It looks like the MS11-031 JSCRIPT.DLL and VBSCRIPT.DLL also work with Windows 2000! (If Windows Script 5.7 is installed)

Edited by MacLover

As you know, I too am very grateful for all of your hard work. I did note that your latest MS11-012 KB2479628 update was just superseded by the MS11-034 KB2506223 update Microsoft released several days ago. I assume that happened as you were working on the MS11-012 update, and wonder how much additional work it will take to incorporate the latest update.

Edited by Prozactive

It turns out there was a thread synchronization issue that could cause some icons to be washed out, so i just uploaded a V3 of MS11-012 (note to self: call GdiFlush before calling GetDIBits). This also updates a few more icons:

post-68113-0-54076800-1303360056_thumb.p

WildBill,

is it the final version or are you planning to add some more icons later on? I'm asking because I want to translate it into Polish ;)

Edited by tomasz86

WildBill,

is it the final version or are you planning to add some more icons later on? I'm asking because I want to translate it into Polish ;)

There might be one more version still, but I'm not sure when with Easter coming up. I'm seeing one last visual glitch but only in a specific case (only when in design mode in Delphi 6.0). I would say go ahead and translate it. Any changes I make will probably be small enough that you can just patch your translated version.

With respect to the icons, you should be able to extract any new ones and put them in your version with ResHacker. That's what I use to replace them, at least.

Edited by WildBill

Just a quick question. After installing the MS11-012 patch, I started seeing ugly white shadows on some of my icons (The ones with 32-bit icon resources such as Internet Explorer 6 and Firefox.) What could be causing this?

The issue first showed up in MS10-048 and I believe was caused by USER32.DLL because when I installed MS10-073 without MS10-048, the issue didn't occur.

Still, other than this minor issue, your patches are amazing and work perfectly.

I have attached a screenshot of the icon issue.

post-307433-0-07335100-1303461283_thumb.

Just a quick question. After installing the MS11-012 patch, I started seeing ugly white shadows on some of my icons (The ones with 32-bit icon resources such as Internet Explorer 6 and Firefox.) What could be causing this?

Hi MacLover,

I've had a similar issue before. I've found that deleting the icon cache (using TweakUI's 'Repair icons' for example), sometimes helps. Another thing to try is to increase the size of desktop icons (Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Icon) say from 32 pixels to 33, and then to put them back to their original size. One last thing to try is the below reg fix, although it might have the effect of decreasing your icon colour depth to 16-bit (in which case, simply go Control Panel > Display > Effects and tick "Show icons using all possible colours". Reboot after each attempted fix.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

"Shell Icon BPP"="32"

Edited by bristols