NTFS handling (large files)

Jolaes

Greetings everyone,

has anybody come across such phenomena:

by a lot of effort, I managed to set up win98se to support an NTFS drive (a 160 GB IDE drive, one partition, formatted under XP SP3).

I use NTFS for Win98 Pro 2.0 (Paragon and all others failed for me, either by not detecting the drive/partition or crashing the OS.)

The Question:

Is there some kind of file size limit, inherent to win9x, regarding certain operations on NTFS partitions?

Each time I open a large file -above 4 GB in size-, win9x freezes, no matter which application I use. (Soundforge, video editors, Total Commander etc.)

I think this is the exact same problem why I cannot seek in large video files in either VLC nor Media Player Classic. These files are usually in

MKV format and the seek bar works only at the beginning, lets say, up to the one-eight part of the video... after that, it rewinds completely, putting

the seek cursor automatically to the start of file. I tried several video splitters, codecs for H264 videos to no avail, yet.

Any suggestions?

The Kernel fix only improves handling of Files from 2GiB to 4GiB, and only does it partially. I have written a better Patch but it still is limited to 4GiB.

The API and the internal structures do not support more than 4GiB so a major change to the Kernel would be required to handle more than 4GiB.

Yes. Files > 4 GiB are no-no for 9x/ME. I'd recommend a Linux or OpenSolaris 3rd boot. If you go Linux, grml or TinHat are among the leanest possible alternatives, and can be used as the 3rd boot. Or you can go to a fuller distribution. I find Gentoo the most satisfying, but here YMMV wildly.