Dell studio xps 1645

D_block

i just had to post this one guys..

So i am or actually was the owner of the Dell studio Xps 1645. core i7 720. 4 gigs ddr3 1333, 1 gig ati 4670 . so despite all the little wierdness i experienced with it i made it work for me.

Now on friday afternoon while using it, it just went dead !! Even the charger went out.. long story short its the motherboard that went dead.. barely 6 months with the machine and the motherboard died.

So i contacted tech suppot, they said they can change it, i really didnt want a fixed machine at 6 months so they said they can change it, replace the whole unit, i asked for my money back because i cant be spending money on this thing every six months, so i await a response today. ( monday )

i wonder whats the possibility that they will actually refund me? And how are they going to replace my unit when i think the 4670 is not available no longer with that specific machine..

hmm.... ill keep you guys updated.

Edited by D_block

i wonder whats the possibility that they will actually refund me?

Small chance I would say, 6 months is almost 25% of the lifetime of a laptop what I've seen.

The video card is PCI-E so they can drop in any model, also they will have parts in stock that are for RMAs like yours although they don't sell that model any more. My guess is; you'll get the same model back but just refurbished/new.

Any PC can die, any PC will cost money, why so angry at dell (that's what I read). :blink:

We can also issue system exchange with like or better specification. The lead time would be 3-4 weeks. The exchange can be offered only at US. So they system has to be sent to US for this to be processed.

4) Refund can be processed as requested by you. However there would be a Depreciation of 40%. Restocking fees, Warranty Charges, Shipping Charges and Tax would be deducted as applicable. The payment would be refunded back to the original mode of payment, i.e. Credit Card or DPA. The system would have to be sent back to our Depot in US.

this is my real options from the email they sent me.... 40 % talk about robbery

this is my real options from the email they sent me.... 40 % talk about robbery

Actually, 40% isn't bad at all for a system that's been used for 6 months. Its value decreased significantly in that time frame (even if it was new, sitting on a shelf) -- especially something like a i7, and now it's a used system too so it's worth a LOT less, and they'd have to sell it refurbished for a fraction of the original price. But like they stated, they'll likely charge a restocking fee too (another 15% or so likely), shipping is on you (another $50 or so likely -- probably lots more if it's international shipping), etc. Every other company would do the same (hey, at least you were given the option)

now it's a used system too so it's worth a LOT less, and they'd have to sell it refurbished for a fraction of the original price.

...in which case they'd even have to spend time repairing/testing it.