Questions about catalog (.clg) files.

At a bare minimum, you need to keep the DVD\Boot folder, and the DVD\EFI folder as well as the DVD\bootmgr file. I was able to safely remove the DVD\Support and DVD\Upgrade folders and still complete my isntallation. (the setup.exe was removed as well)

Not sure why it didn't work for me when I tried deleting everything but the WIM's, so maybe that was just a fluke. nice_guy_75 is pretty adamant that it can be done, so maybe later I will pull out my clean DVD and try that on an untouched source. My only test of this failed on a heavily vLite'd image - way back in November.

@nice_guy_75, do you confirm that you are not using the vista boot.wim. My assumption (apparently wrong) was that the new boot.wim was doing something with one of the sub-folders of DVD\Sources, but if you are using the 7 boot.wim, and it works, so much for that theory.

Ofcourse I am adamant as it can be done, I have already posted in my earlier posts, I have done and I am using that OS without any problem. I guess you have also removed the setup.exe (of Sources folder) so only your installation failed. Just keep 3 files: The 2 wims and setup.exe in the sources folder, I am sure your installation would go smoothly. And yes I am not using vista boot.wim I am using Win7 boot.wim still everything went smooth.

And its not only me, maxXPSoft has also done it successfully ofcourse on VM.

Edited by nice_guy75

Ahh, setup.exe in the sources folder, I thought you were talking about the one on the root of the DVD. That was the problem (confusion between multiple setup.exe files)

Update: It Works. :thumbup Saves about 80 MB from sources. 150MB if you count the support and upgrade folders.

thinner.png

Edited by MrJinje

Ahh, setup.exe in the sources folder, I thought you were talking about the one on the root of the DVD. That was the problem (confusion between multiple setup.exe files)

Update: It Works. :thumbup Saves about 80 MB from sources. 150MB if you count the support and upgrade folders.

thinner.pngThat's good news this is obviously the same x86 & 64bit?

Yes, .clg is not needed by most users, but in my case, I occasionally download XML files for readers to check for syntax errors using the WSIM. It is a time saver, because when I choose an 'image' instead of .clg file, the WSIM wants to run a DISM mount and generate a .clg before it will check syntax on the XML. (5 minutes every time)

Edited by MrJinje

@ MrJinje

Sorry I over looked you reply, you can also delete the setup.exe of root of the DVD but in this case your Win7 can only be installed in bootable mode.

It is also tested and working.

• 3 months later...