PE 2550 MEMORY QUESTION

ethanmcf

Yeah, the only reason I thought it was RDRAM was because it needed to be in pairs. Prior to Dual-Channel technology, RDRAM was the only type to my knowledge that had such a requirement. The fact that there is 168pin SDRAM PC133 AND 168pin RDRAM PC800 (for use on 133MHz FSB) adds to the confusion. However, we can easily do a comparison now as to what memory you actually need.

This page has a picture of RDRAM 168pin:

http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/B0000A58OS

Main things to notice is the location of the notches (or the keying) of the edge (no pun intended) connector. These are in a different place than the memory from the ebay auction. Also, (again to my knowledge) all RDRAM has heat spreaders on them, because of the speed they run at. Only premium SDRAM came with heat spreaders.

You should be able to compare the pictures to the memory in your computer to see where the notches are, and which type you actually have.

No it isnt the ones on the amazon page, it is just standard SDRAM by the looks of things, they have no heat spreaders, and the notches are further apart than the image, by alot too. But the Server case, insists the Machine requires them in pairs, other wise it won't boot, just get the beeping from the bios speaker then.

so can I just use normal SDRAM in the machine?

Well, most likely not desktop-style "plain" PC133, more like plain ECC registered PC133 SDRAM (that would be fairly "plain" as far as servers go). Sorry for not being clear enough.

so can I just use normal SDRAM in the machine?

Well, most likely not desktop-style "plain" PC133, more like plain ECC registered PC133 SDRAM (that would be fairly "plain" as far as servers go). Sorry for not being clear enough.

So is that cheap enough then, bare in mind i live in the UK, so US Postage is stupidly priced. :(

Yeah, the only reason I thought it was RDRAM was because it needed to be in pairs. Prior to Dual-Channel technology, RDRAM was the only type to my knowledge that had such a requirement.

Back in the later days of 72-pin SIMMs there were systems that required them to be installed in pairs so using sticks in pairs has been around much longer than RAMBUS. RAMBUS was just the first one to optimize how they worked in pairs...at the desktop level. Servers have also required memory be installed in pairs (and sometimes quads) for quite some time. The ServerWorks chipset in his server will actually using "memory interleaving" (aka dual-channel). It sucks that Broadcom let ServerWorks drop off after they bought them because they used to make some awesome chipsets...even if their PATA controllers sucked (you were generally using SCSI based drives on them anyway so that didn't matter).

Using multiple DIMMs at the desktop level is another case of server technologies trickling down. This always happens. Look at the number of consumer-level motherboards that come with integrated RAID now days. smile.gif

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Yeah, the only reason I thought it was RDRAM was because it needed to be in pairs. Prior to Dual-Channel technology, RDRAM was the only type to my knowledge that had such a requirement.

Back in the later days of 72-pin SIMMs there were systems that required them to be installed in pairs so using sticks in pairs has been around much longer than RAMBUS. RAMBUS was just the first one to optimize how they worked in pairs...at the desktop level. Servers have also required memory be installed in pairs (and sometimes quads) for quite some time. The ServerWorks chipset in his server will actually using "memory interleaving" (aka dual-channel). It sucks that Broadcom let ServerWorks drop off after they bought them because they used to make some awesome chipsets...even if their PATA controllers sucked (you were generally using SCSI based drives on them anyway so that didn't matter).

Using multiple DIMMs at the desktop level is another case of server technologies trickling down. This always happens. Look at the number of consumer-level motherboards that come with integrated RAID now days. smile.gif

That is true. Some of the Intel Workstation boards and Elite series (gamer type) boards now have memory options that came straight from RAID technology. So now you can set your memory up in RAID arrays too. I imagine someday desktop boards will get this option as well.