nLite - Dell Reinstall CD - Gaming Application

yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free, I also took a look at your last session.ini and I can't see any showstopper, except maybe for:

- Application Layer Gateway (it's a pair with Windows Firewall - one doesn't make much sense without the other; whatever you do to one (taking it out or leaving it in ), do it to the other one).

- A second network adapter is set up (I'm not sure if Nlite did it automatically). The very least you could do (for troubleshooting purposes) is to 'redo' your network connection inside the installed Windows (uninstall and reinstall the network card driver if necessary).

- Related to that, another thing would be to check your VirtualBox drivers and/or connection to the host OS - maybe there's something wrong there?

- And not related to that, but I wouldn't take out Application compatibility patch (just in case) and File System Filter Manager (only if you install later a program that needs it - antivirus, firewall, Process Monitor...)

GL

yellowsnow4free, I also took a look at your last session.ini and I can't see any showstopper, except maybe for:

- Application Layer Gateway (it's a pair with Windows Firewall - one doesn't make much sense without the other; whatever you do to one (taking it out or leaving it in ), do it to the other one).

- A second network adapter is set up (I'm not sure if Nlite did it automatically). The very least you could do (for troubleshooting purposes) is to 'redo' your network connection inside the installed Windows (uninstall and reinstall the network card driver if necessary).

- Related to that, another thing would be to check your VirtualBox drivers and/or connection to the host OS - maybe there's something wrong there?

- And not related to that, but I wouldn't take out Application compatibility patch (just in case) and File System Filter Manager (only if you install later a program that needs it - antivirus, firewall, Process Monitor...)

GL

When I installed the un-nLited XP on VirtualBox, internet worked out of the box.

Thanks for looking at my .ini file; I'll make 1.6 soon and let you know how it goes.

EDIT

Finished 1.6 today; pretty happy with it.

Not working: Internet

To do: remove IE (but still have internet access via another browser)

Attached: 2 files.

1) Last_Session.ini

2) List of all Components not removed in nLite

LAST_SESSION_1.6.txt

nLite_build_1.6.txt

Edited by yellowsnow4free

UPDATE: made build 1.7 today; working great!

Internet is now working! I went on the safe side and kept just about everything. The ISO is ~ 200 MB and the installation is ~ 800 MB.

Windows Update works great too.

2 last things:

1) I guess I removed the utility that allows me to activate Windows... I'll post my .ini file here

2) This is only aesthetic, but why does my Recycle Bin have this weird blue background?

XP_17.png

I'm almost there but I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!

LAST_SESSION_1.7.txt

I went on the safe side and kept just about everything

I guess I removed the utility that allows me to activate Windows.

Safe side? Is it possibly the one which description says "Don't select this for removal or you won't be able to activate Windows."; Out of the Box Experience? I'm afraid if you missed that, you missed lot more.

I went on the safe side and kept just about everything

I guess I removed the utility that allows me to activate Windows.

Safe side? Is it possibly the one which description says "Don't select this for removal or you won't be able to activate Windows."; Out of the Box Experience? I'm afraid if you missed that, you missed lot more.

I guess "Safe" meant as far as the internet goes.

Anyone have an idea on the icon thing?

Probably the colors set on 16bits instead of 32.

I checked that; the colors are set to 32 bit.

Build 1.5 didn't have this problem; I guess I could cross reference my ".ini" files for 1.5 and 1.7...

LAST_SESSION_1.5.txt

LAST_SESSION_1.7.txt

LAST_SESSION_1.5.txt

LAST_SESSION_1.7.txt

Okay, just did build 1.8 today.

It's basically 1.7 with the "Out Of Box Experience" included (I don't know how it was deleted in 1.7...)

The ISO file is ~ 200 MB and installed (without updates) it comes out to ~ 900 MB.

The only "problem" left is the desktop icon background that I mentioned before:

XP_17.png

But if you set it to classic background you won't notice it anyway.

It's working great in VirtualBox.

Configuration is attached.

EDIT: While testing, it seems my audio isn't working...

I think this is a driver issue because "Multimedia Audio Controller" shows up as not having a driver. I had it search Windows Update; no luck either.

I bet it has something to do with VirtualBox though.

LAST_SESSION_1.8.txt

LAST_SESSION_1.8.txt

It's Sound Controllers in nLite. I would expect VirtualBox to emulate some known hardware (known to XP). Otherwise you should go hunting for the driver from its hardware ID, just like on real machine. Or maybe it's an additional download like VM tools or something (not likely).

The desktop icon background - you apply it correctly (Visual Effects-Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop-Enable) but I've seen XP not respecting some tweaks (I guess it registers its dlls after the tweaks are applied, something like that).

Here are some things you could try to make it work (for both regular and nLited XP):

- you need to set the background first

- it should be .bmp, not .jpg

- remove all web items from desktop

- untick, hit apply, then tick, then apply again on the checkmark in my computer>properties>advanced>visual effects - use drop shadows...

- try changing the desktop background color (what you would see if there was no wallpaper) - XP seems to decide on its own on the colour of icon text (sometimes appears with outline on the text) - that's another problem, but maybe related?

- (although I think it's not likely) it has something to do with removal of "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" - now it misses some routines for working with graphics?

Edit: I compared it with your Last Session 1.5 (where you say it worked) - yes, that's the difference ("Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"). And in 1.5 you don't have "Visual Effects-Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop-Enable". Guess this is a case of trying too hard? :D

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

It's Sound Controllers in nLite. I would expect VirtualBox to emulate some known hardware (known to XP). Otherwise you should go hunting for the driver from its hardware ID, just like on real machine. Or maybe it's an additional download like VM tools or something (not likely).

Edit: I compared it with your Last Session 1.5 (where you say it worked) - yes, that's the difference ("Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"). And in 1.5 you don't have "Visual Effects-Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop-Enable". Guess this is a case of trying too hard? :D

GL

Thanks for the reply.

When I build 1.9 I'll include the sound driver and check out "Sound Controllers" in nLite.

I'll also include "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" just to see if that fixes the problem.

- Anthony

"Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" can be a bit tricky and I just leave it. That's probably why it's marked in red. It had something to do with messing up preview of JPEG photos as desktop backgrounds when removed. IMO, removing it is not worth the trouble.

Okay, just did build 1.9 today.

Added "Sound Controllers" and the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" thing; sound and the background problem are now solved!

Only "problem" remaining:

Programs_19.png

Couldn't help but notice "Windows Update" and "Internet Explorer" have that default program icon...

It's not a big deal either. Heck, if it improves performance, I don't really care anyway. But out of curiosity, I guess I'd like to know what caused it.

I'm sure it's something simple, but it was fine in build 1.8

I'll attach my files for 1.8 and 1.9

LAST_SESSION_1.8.txt

LAST_SESSION_1.9.txt