HDD freezes

I have posted this issue on another forum, hopefully I can get help here. TIA. I have a WD5000AAKB IDE external drive (500 GB) in a rosewill external enclosure. This HDD is seen at BIOS when starting up but when it comes time to loading up Vista I get a black screen and it freezes. This is just before I am suppose to key in my password. Also when I have the computer on and then connect the HDD, the computer freezes (windows explorer) which forces me to reboot. I have also tried to place this HDD internally and at boot up it freezes as aforementioned. When I tried connecting it internally it didn't work but when I disconnected the HDD it felt heavier or as if there was a different weight distribution. What can I do?

I have a WD5000AAKB IDE external drive (500 GB) in a rosewill external enclosure. This HDD is seen at BIOS when starting up but when it comes time to loading up Vista I get a black screen and it freezes. This is just before I am suppose to key in my password. Also when I have the computer on and then connect the HDD, the computer freezes (windows explorer) which forces me to reboot. I have also tried to place this HDD internally and at boot up it freezes as aforementioned.

Is it a USB external enclosure, is it?

When I tried connecting it internally it didn't work but when I disconnected the HDD it felt heavier or as if there was a different weight distribution.

Unless all the 1's has gone on one side due to centrifugal force (1's weight more than 0's) it shouldn't happen. :w00t:

:P

Seriously, possibly it is a false impression you had.

What can I do?

Unfortunately not much, and definitely nothing with Vista.

There are a few DOS programs that may be able to diagnose the problem, but first of all I would try the DOS WD utilities:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=502&sid=2〈=en

but you will need a floppy drive (or burn a bootable CD with the floppy image.

jaclaz

Yes it is a USB enclosure. I have tried using the utility program you suggested but I tried it on a flash drive first. Anyhow when I tried it BIOS again sees the drive and all I get is the start of "c:>". It doesn't do anything after that. I am going to try ubuntu and see if that works.