Microsoft certification windows 7

koden

Hello

I am about to take a course with an exam.

It's MCTS 70-680

Read and remember is'nt what I do best.

So i have do som practical to remember what I have been reading...

So far so good...

But is there some kind of a list, where all the tools in WIN 7 are listed with explanation of what they are to be used for?

Or a list that takes the most important from the book on 900 pages....

A kind of summary or what ever...

because sometimes the book just get me more confused than clever.. :-)

Sorry for my bad english...hope you guys understand it...

I recently passed 70-680. I also passed 70-686 in beta. You can buy the mspress book, but that wasnt helpful. Examcollection.com has some good resources, along with certcollection.org

-gosh

• 6 months later...

If you've ever used Windows 7 in an administrative role, you should be able to pass this test easily. As trip said, you need a 700 to pass (just like most other Microsoft certification tests).

70% is very reasonable. On the other hand, I don't think that regular everyday's home use is enough - for example I have yet to find any use for Bitlocker or Backup etc. :))

Thanks for opinions, I will run through a few test examples and finish reading my book.

Oh btw. what other certificates would you recommend for a guy doing standard support in hypothetical medium-sized company who would like to eventually move onto doing a bit of admin work? 70-685/686 maybe?

You want to look towards the end-points of the certifications, not just which individual ones to take - these aren't teaching you anything, they're supposed to test your knowledge on what you've already learned or accomplished. As to which to look into, consider following tracks in the MCITP roles under the desktop client (suggestion of Enterprise Desktop Administrator) in addition to an MCTS in Windows 7; if you are considering the admin role in the future, the MCITP Server or Enterprise Administrator should be on the list.

In my opinion (and it's just that), getting something like an MCTS in Windows 7 is nice but unless you have a broader certification to go with it, it means far less (especially if you don't have a lot of demonstrable work experience in that area in your past). Being able to pair certifications (for example MCTS Windows 7 Configuration + MCITP Enterprise Desktop Administrator + MCTS Business Desktop Deployment) makes you far more valuable, and will also show to others that you know quite a bit about the end-to-end of desktop deployment and administration. Make sense? My suggestion is always to take tests and create and follow tracks towards overall goals, rather than doing them piecemeal. It'll take a bit more time and effort, but will definitely get you farther ahead in the end.

Well, I take the certificates as a way of pushing myself into organized learning new stuff. I am just starting really. I tried some university studying and gave it up after a few years (for various reasons I didn't like the way it works here), leaving me with no education and no work experiences. A bit tough, yea. I have a bit under 3 years of helpdesk experience and do have some ok general knowledge of Windows, hardware and troubleshooting things, but it's far from enough. I am simply trying to come up with some sort of roadmap for myself.