What to do with unused copy of XP Pro?

Alpaca Portrait

I have an OEM copy of XP Pro that I've never used and I don't know what to do with it.

What do you think the odds are that someone would want to trade a copy of Win 7 for it?

Can you buy laptops with no OS in them? I don't have a laptop and don't really *need* one, but if I could get a no frills one for a decent price I guess I could install it in that.

Any thoughts?

?

I was once under the impression that you were not required to accept pre-installed OS (non-acceptance of the EULA'ed software) on a purchased PC, and depending on the source of said PC you may be able to get a reduced price under some sort of "special purchase agreement". I believe this was how pre-Linux offerings were instituted so that a purchaser could load Linux instead of MS-OS.

Could be wrong...

Depended on the OEM. However, if you didn't accept the OEM license (did this with Dell a few times), you had to either send back or destroy the XP media and documentation shipped with the product. Unless that OEM copy was purchased from a retail outlet, and not shipped with the machine, you can't resell it, give it away, etc unless you're also selling the machine with it in the US. Otherwise, it's not a legal licensed copy for whomever receives it.

Depended on the OEM. However, if you didn't accept the OEM license (did this with Dell a few times), you had to either send back or destroy the XP media and documentation shipped with the product. Unless that OEM copy was purchased from a retail outlet, and not shipped with the machine, you can't resell it, give it away, etc unless you're also selling the machine with it in the US. Otherwise, it's not a legal licensed copy for whomever receives it.
Agreed re: the CD's... my point (above) was to obtain a laptop at a reduced price, sans OS. I had "heard tales" that it was possible (CompUSA, etc.), just not how it was done (or where I had seen the "tales"). All I can say is, check with the outlet to see if it's agreeable with them. Dunno :unsure: Edited by submix8c

It's possible, but you have to take it up with the OEM, not the retailer - so if you buy a laptop from CompUSA or BestBuy and it didn't already ship without Windows, you'd have to buy it with the OS and then go back to the OEM and get your money back from them. Of course if you purchase it directly from the OEM, usually you have to spec out the machine, then phone order it to get the line item to remove the Windows license as part of the sale, as I've not seen any OEMs sell machines online other than Dell that allow you to buy a "naked" machine.

With the idea of buying a laptop without an OS, I have one serious problem.

laptops are very proprietary little pieces of hardware, requiring very specific

drivers for their motherboard, video, sound, LAN, touchpad and so on.

When you buy a laptop with an OS pre-installed, the drivers for that specific OS

are also pre-installed, by the manufacturer.

So, if you bought a laptop computer, with NO OS on it,

and basically a blank HD, where are you going to get the needed drivers to

complement whatever OS you decide to install ?

That could turn out to be a real hassle!

For those who just can't stand Vista or (shuddering) Windows 7, there are still

some computers available with Windows XP installed.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Andromeda B)