Win98SE with >256MB vs >512MB

King_V

Ok, I realize this has probably been done to death - I know there's issues with vcache and system.ini with regard to having MORE than 512MB installed (up to 1GB).

While I do want to manually make that change (can't use unofficial service pack, it doesn't seem to play nicely with 98lite), I came across some references somewhere that say that, even if you have something MORE than 256MB (even if less than or equal to 512MB, and thus no instability issues), Windows 98 simply will never utilize more than 256 megs.

Is this true? If so, what's the solution to this? Or does the >512MB fix take care of this issue as well?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by King_V

Guest wsxedcrfv
I came across some references somewhere that say that, even if you have something MORE than 256MB (even if less than or equal to 512MB, and thus no instability issues), Windows 98 simply will never utilize more than 256 megs.

I don't think any of the suggested reading material directly speaks to that question - which is: does Windows 98 actually utilize more than the first 256 mb of installed memory? If someone can compentently answer that question, please do.

And if there is no substance behind this idea that win-98 is self-limited to using only the first 256mb of installed ram, then where did this idea come from?

There is no substance to that idea at all. Win 9x can and will use all the memory available to it, although it rarely uses more memory than about 800 GiB, in my experience (but open various big .BMPs at the same time and it will use more and more). You don't need to believe me, just download and run Japheth's excellent VWin32, and see it for yourself.

Urban legends are hard to kill. icon8.gif

Edited by dencorso
Corrected VWin32 url. Thanks, MDGx!

I came across some references somewhere that say that, even if you have something MORE than 256MB (even if less than or equal to 512MB, and thus no instability issues), Windows 98 simply will never utilize more than 256 megs.

I don't think any of the suggested reading material directly speaks to that question - which is: does Windows 98 actually utilize more than the first 256 mb of installed memory? If someone can compentently answer that question, please do.

I have tested Windows 98 with as much as 3.6GiB of RAM and was able to utilize all of it simultaneously.

There are generally some limits for memory.

1. 16 and 24 and 32 mb of ram.

Dont remember which capacity is reccomended as minimum for Windows 95 and for 98. If you are below this limit GUI will start and perform very slow and computer performance will be more related to its harddisk.

2. 128/256 mb ram

Here is limit for Win9x where people dont experience performance trouble related to memory.

3. 512 mb ram

Generally reffered as maximum memory for windows 9x by some MS documents.

4. 768 mb ram

Some sources referr to this number as last bootable amount of memory. Generally it is hardware limit for most of intel boards from years 1999 to 2001 so this amount was hardly to hit.

5. 1,128 mb ram

This amount of memory was last bootable for me without any software modifications while all memory was available to system.

6. 1,512 mb ram

My current configuration. 512 mb ram is used as ramdisk, and rebooting must be prevented by some settings in autoexec and config.sys.

7. 4 gb of ram

With Rloews patch you can run system with amount of ram as with any other 32 bit Windows.

Vcache trouble can be easily fixed. Set Maxfilecache to 32kb in system ini and you will never experience any trouble.