MW2 Protest

Junior2613

Does anyone think PC gamers have gone down a path to which there is no return in terms of MW2, I mean look at what happend, no DS no PB and steam quite a lot of people screamed BOYCOTT!! and now look lots of them ended up buying the game :( Would this then mean that other developers having seen that quite a few of us are all mouth no action would end up doing the same ??

IW will just use low sales as an excuse to move further away from the PC platform. It's unfortunate, but I understand why they would go down that road - almost 0 piracy problems and no support issues (since the hardware is static). That means fewer bugs, which means fewer ongoing costs. Even though they pay the licensing fee to Microsoft and Sony, they still make a bigger margin on the game for the console than the PC.

Edited by rendrag

Its not all bad :P

Sales flop for the PC version in UK? Haha hopefully IW will notice this.

That article is full of BS. MW2 is breaking sales records.

NEW YORK - The video game "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" is blasting its way into entertainment history.

After hauling in the biggest-ever first-day sales total last week, the game continues break records.

Activision Blizzard Inc., which released the game Nov. 10, said the latest game in its "Call of Duty" franchise made $550 million in worldwide sales during its first five days. That would put it over the $500 million record set last year by "Grand Theft Auto IV," from Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.

Activision didn't say how many units it has shipped. But Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian estimates the company sold between 8.5 million and 9 million copies.

The game is also blowing past records set by other media. After "Grand Theft Auto IV" comes $394 million in worldwide box office sales brought in by the movie "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" over its first five days, according to Activision.

In its first 24 hours on sale, "Call of Duty" made $310 million in North America and the United Kingdom alone, while "Grand Theft Auto" made that same amount worldwide.

It was also far above the record $155 million opening weekend for the Batman movie "The Dark Knight" last year.

The game, which sells for $60, runs on Windows-based computers, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.

Shares in Activision, which is based in Santa Monica, gained 3 cents to $11.72 in afternoon

That article is full of BS. MW2 is breaking sales records.

No the article is true. Firstly, we are talking about the PC version here not just MW2 in general.

Secondly I have just found out that because MW2 has sold so many on console (57% on XBOX, 40% on PS3, and just 3% on PC) that 3% of sales for PC is still higher that what COD4 sold in its first week. This means that because it is selling so much on console the seemingly small 3% on PC is actually a large amount.

EDIT: Yeah rendrag your probably right, anyway MW2 on PC is almost a direct console port (except for in game text chat, mouse support, and changing graphical options..."oh wow").

BTW, because MW2 on PC goes through Steam that means Steam gets some cash too so any copy sold on PC would only make as much as a console copy (give or take a bit, but it still makes less that usual).

Edited by Zenskas

Yeah rendrag your probably right, anyway MW2 on PC is almost a direct console port (except for in game text chat, mouse support, and changing graphical options..."oh wow").

BTW, because MW2 on PC goes through Steam that means Steam gets some cash too so any copy sold on PC would only make as much as a console copy (give or take a bit, but it still makes less that usual).

Right now, there are no licensing costs to sell on Steam, so Valve doesn't make a nickel when a game is sold that way. That's why games are generally less expensive for the PC than for the consoles.

Right now, there are no licensing costs to sell on Steam, so Valve doesn't make a nickel when a game is sold that way. That's why games are generally less expensive for the PC than for the consoles.

That's weird, I thought I read somewhere Valve gets half the money or some percent. Not sure though.

I don't think Valve would implement steamworks and VAC into a game for free anyway. Or maybe Valve does it for free to get more users to sign up for Steam then to see and buy Valve's own games.

EDIT: Apparently any game with steamworks (in this case MW2) has to pay a share of the revenue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28cont...y%29#Steamworks

Edited by Zenskas

• 2 weeks later...
weird because steam's website says it's free... maybe it's the combination of options that trigger the cost model

http://steamgames.com/steamworks/index.php

Looks like Valve is probably contradicting themselves there as on this page it says under FAQ #8 that:

Can you tell me about your pricing model, charges or splits?

We don't discuss our distribution deals publicly. Once we take a look at your game, we'll get to those details.

So I'm still not sure :wacko:

I'm guessing that if your game is free (i.e. Half-Life 2 mods) then you can integrate Steamworks functionality, put it on Steam, have it updated and so forth. When you start charging for it (i.e. Garry's Mod, Modern Warfare 2), you have to give Valve a cut of the money.

Yes I reckon your right.

Anyway, while selling digital copies on Steam is less expensive for IW even after a cut to Valve, most people buy it in store so IW have to give a cut to the people that make the DVDs, boxes, shipping costs, "brick and mortar" stores etc, but then have to pay more on top of that when it gets loaded into Steam.

IW will just use low sales as an excuse to move further away from the PC platform. It's unfortunate, but I understand why they would go down that road - almost 0 piracy problems and no support issues (since the hardware is static). That means fewer bugs, which means fewer ongoing costs. Even though they pay the licensing fee to Microsoft and Sony, they still make a bigger margin on the game for the console than the PC.

Not only that, but it's far easier now to write for a console (specifically the 360) and port it to the PC, and then spend on dev for PS/3 (and Wii, I suppose). This saves companies in developer hours meaning less cost for a project, and expect more game developers to do this rather than less going forward. The PC market is not as large (or as lucrative) as the console market for developers, there's less piracy (and more control) over the multiplayer network and aspects on a console, and the hardware is static (meaning less developer time and less money spent to produce a product). I understand PC gamers are still a segment of the market, but it's long since time that they were a driving force in the market, and getting what they want versus the developer and distributor making more money is almost always going to have the latter win out. I don't have the 2008 numbers in front of me, but I still have my saved 2008 articles with 2007 numbers - console game sales worldwide was USD $18.1 billion, and PC game sales were USD $910 million at brick-and-mortar stores and USD $1.9 billion online sales. Even combining the PC game sales numbers, you have USD $18.1 billion in console game sales versus approximately USD $3 billion in PC game sales total. If a developer can write a game for the 360 and PC using basically the same codebase (via the XBox 360 toolkit and XBL integration via Visual Studio), and then have a separate dev team for the PS/3, they're going to save lots of money overall, thus making more profit per sale. It won't be surprising if the trend continues, honestly - there's huge money in gaming, and most of it is on the consoles, not the PC.