Disc drive unable to eject.

Everything's ok except that the disc tray stucks.

The samsung drive has been good and suddenly it stucks one day and from that onwards.

since then whenever i wanna use i have to press the open button and poke into the pin hole, only then the tray comes out.

Disconnecting all the plugs to it, i opened up the drive and believed that (1) and (2) toghether have been the culprit.

(1) - The white color circle

(2) - The black color circle (that pass thru the centre of CD or DVD and turn the disc)

don't know the parts' name... if you know please tell me

post-167089-1257248435_thumb.jpg

Casing and inner part

post-167089-1257248461_thumb.jpg

Casing

When I covered the inner part of the drive with the casing, I peeped into the inner part, and

found that (1), with a magnet in it, and (2) are sticking together, apparently held by magnetic force. (When the tray is inside)

In normal circumstance, when the open button is pressed, thru a mechanism the entire part where (2) on is lowered down from the tray and (1). Then the tray ejects. (this is observed without the casing)

When I put back the casing, the (1) on the casing sticks with (2) -- this is normal. However, when the open button is pressed, they still stick together, due to undue magnetic attraction, causing the entire part where (2) on unable to be lowered down. The tray tries but is unable to eject, making sound like something stucks inside. -- This is the cause of failure of ejection.

At this instant, when i lift the casing to overcome the magnetic force, the tray comes out.

Can someone suggest how to fix this?

I would be grateful if a video clip is included if necessary...

Thx beforehand :thumbup

Edited by MillenX

CD/dvd drives can be made in very different ways.

Basically the mechanism that lowers #2 has not enough force to work when the retaining action of the magnet is added.

Usually (but it may not be the case of your particular CD/DVD drive) it is due to some dirt (or clogged with dirt or simply "hardened" grease/lubricant) somewhere in the sliding parts.

As well ususally completely and thoroughfully cleaning ALL sliding parts and adding a very minimal amount of lubricant is enough to make the drive functional again.

In some cases there is wear that produces some dents in the sliding parts that need to be smoothed off with very fine sand paper or the like AND polished.

The good ol' CD repair FAQ gives some hints:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

jaclaz

Just a quick post: try to reverse the metal part that is shown in photo 2, that should fix the problem, done it many times before and I think it's posible with that model as well. Else you can try to de-magnetize the parts or just keep a CD in. I hope that I have time a bit later to go into detail ;).

oh, a surprise to me too. The pics are taken at the second disassembly. After reassembling, it became fine just like that... an obliviously solved problem..

but the same problem is on another drive...

The tutorials from the links are great!

oh, a surprise to me too. The pics are taken at the second disassembly. After reassembling, it became fine just like that... an obliviously solved problem..

but the same problem is on another drive...

The tutorials from the links are great!

I see that you are new to this, it's common practice. ;)

psychological warfare against stoopid hardware:

disassembling it a few times really scares it, but you may also want to have a mallet or large hammer handy and start singing something like "How would I love to smash this stoopid thingy with this large hammer I happen to have here" to the tune of your preferred song.

The effect is that usually things start working again .....:whistle:

A chainsaw has also proved to be a very good intimidating method, but it's a bit noisy and hardware won't fall for it if it isn't running. :(

:P

jaclaz