Adding Ram to my laptop and getting error! Help!

thecookiemaker

Hello! I have an Acer Travelmate 2441wxci with 256 ram and am upgrading. If I put in 1 gig it works fine. When I put in the second gig, I get errors. It boots up, I click on my name and then get STOP; 0x0000008e(0xc0000005, 0xbf843499,oxbaad7684,0x00000000) Win32k.sys - address bf843499 base at bf800000, datestamp 41107f7a then it begins physical dump. I tried switching the sticks around, putting in the old 256 stick and it happens anytime I put something into that second slot. I then tried to reformat (have windows xp sp2 oem) and also have the ACER recovery disks, and when I try that, I get File\i386\ntkernlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code = 4. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do next? I really want the 2 gigs in it... :thumbup

Sounds like you bought an incompatible memory stick. Some of the cheaper alternatives out there don't have a good compatibility rate.

After doing a quick google search, you can also determine that the laptop does indeeed support 1GB of RAM per slot. Maybe you should check to see if your laptop's manufacturer has any BIOS upgrades available.

I would say it's a question of single or double sided RAM and the chip count. What you bought now, does it have 4 or 8 chips? And if there are 4 chips are they placed on the same side of the PCB (- read "memory")?

flip the RAM between the slots you're putting it in, generally that'll solve it.

I had the problem with one of my laptops, got kernel panics in linux, swapped the ram between the two slots, works fine now.

otherwise, check manufacturer specs and buy RAM that matches it exactly

:whistle: Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried switching the sticks and that does not work. I even put the original 256 stick into that second slot and get the errors.... I was told that possibly it could be the hard drive, but do not see how that could be. I have also downloaded the latest bios. novice that I am, I then tried to start a reformat of the system, and could not get past the error either.