Windows 2000 professional security protection from MS?

win95guy

Hi,

So Defender works up until a certain version of the Beta2 when you edit the installer. It still updates and runs fine. But defender has been discontinued... for Microsoft security essentials. Does that work on w2k pro? can it be edited in orca to work? Just checking out how Microsoft continues to support w2k in terms of security protection. Apparently forefront currently works on w2k pro? What about the new upcoming forefront expected to be released next year? I'd just prefer to run an MS protection app on my machine, but if they drop support completely, then NOD32 it is for me.

Thanks.

Regards, Win95Guy

Just checking out how Microsoft continues to support w2k in terms of security protection.
Win 2k is already on extended support, and all support to it, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will be terminated on 13 July 2010. So, don't expect too much.

Just from Win95guy's name, you may infer he's aware of extended support and out-of-support OS...

Personally, I don't rely on Microsoft for security software, as for instance their firewall for Xp is badly rated. So I use third-party security software, and these won't expire in July 2010. Maybe sooner, maybe later. There are still a bunch of them, and some of the very best ones do run on W2k.

Win95guy, I appreciate your inputs for my W95. Regards!

• 4 months later...

Hi,

So Defender works up until a certain version of the Beta2 when you edit the installer. It still updates and runs fine. But defender has been discontinued... for Microsoft security essentials. Does that work on w2k pro? can it be edited in orca to work? Just checking out how Microsoft continues to support w2k in terms of security protection. Apparently forefront currently works on w2k pro? What about the new upcoming forefront expected to be released next year? I'd just prefer to run an MS protection app on my machine, but if they drop support completely, then NOD32 it is for me.

Thanks.

Regards, Win95Guy

Windows Defender final version also works fine on W2K, just patch the installer with Orca same as you did with beta versions.

or get it patched here:

Windows Defender Final (1.1.1593.0) for Windows 2000 SP4, XP, XP SP1, XP SP2 (it works with XP SP3, Vista, Vista SP1 and Vista SP2 too, but for those you don't need patched installer)

MS seems to drop WD in favor of MSE, but it is still being updated with latest definitions.

If you have any problems with automatic updating, you can use this:

Windows Defender Manual Updater

(since it is small enough to go as attachment with this post, I added it below)

It is very simple to use:

1 - download latest definitions update file from Microsoft to your Desktop

(Direct download link for32-bit Windozes | Direct download link for 64-bit Windozes)

2 - run WD Manual Updater

Alas, NOD32 is obviously way much better choice than Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials... ;)

HTH

Edited by Yzöwl
Attachment Removed, (non-reditributable files)