Install XP from a RAM loaded ISO image

cdob

• 3 months later...

Just stumbled across this. I have spark some interest in firadisk but the files from the first link download are out of date (I hope I didn't miss an updated link) and would like to try this. The directions seem easy enough, just not sure if this still works as good with the firadisk out of date thats in the XP_INST_v04.7z?

Update:

No updated need I guess. expanded my driver packs setup.ex_ to setupORG.exe, extracted the XP_INST.IMA made a few changes zipped everything backup and install my first XP Home from ram. Now I just need to get my ISO smaller. Thanks, cdob and everyone attached to this project. :)

Edited by laddanator

I ran into a bump. I post the above a little too soon. When I left the room driverpacks was installing so I thought all was well. Came back this morning and I saw this

error2du.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I followed the first post to the T. I am using Windows XP Home SP3 with DriverPacks(all) on an Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3. I took the DriverPack SETUP.EX_ expanded it to setupORG.exe. Mounted XP_INST.IMA with Imdisk and copied the setupORG.exe to \setup\I386\ and unmounted saved. Left everything else default and this is my menu.lst

title Loading XP RAM install - /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO
ls /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO || find --set-root /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO
map --mem /Inst/XP_INST.IMA (fd0)
map --mem /Inst/XP_INST.IMA (fd1)
map --mem /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO (0xFF)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader (0xFF)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

I activated the line map --mem /Inst/XP_INST.IMA (fd1) as my bios needed it. I got couldn't copy all the files from XP_INST.IMA so activating that line fix that issue. Everything loads fine and DriverPacks does its thing and when the extraction is done, the error in the pic pops up. Any Ideas? I have read as much as this post I could and didn't see the error in the pic above mentioned.

I took the DriverPack SETUP.EX_ expanded it to setupORG.exe
Don't. Just copy SetupORG.exe as it is to its place in the virtual floppy- \setup\I386\. That's the original MS setup.exe which is needed and cannot be included because cannot be redistributed.

Compare:

Don't. Just copy SetupORG.exe as it is to its place in the virtual floppy- \setup\I386\. That's the original MS setup.exe which is needed and cannot be included because cannot be redistributed.

Will try. I was going by this from the first page

BTS DriverPacks method 2 are supported. http://driverpacks.net/

This use a fake setup and setupORG.exe too.

If you use a DriverPacks version, copy this setupORG.exe to floppy image.

I saw this earlier also but I guess it didn't click

Don't delete anything.

Setuporg.exe which has to be placed in XP_INST.IMA \setup\ :

1) In case BTS driver packs were used, or any other method using "fake setup" at start of GUI- just use I386\setupORG.exe, which should be the original MS setup.exe.

2) Original media/unmodified setup.exe- extract it from I386 (7zip or default MS expand.exe) and rename it to setuporg.exe.

Don't worry about winnt.sif for now, that's optional.

Thanks, ilko_t. That did the trick! Sometimes online, context is lost and you can read something a 100 times and still miss the point. Thanks again to everyone involved in this project. :thumbup

Edited by laddanator

• 2 weeks later...
Does they setup.cmd mention here

replace the setup.cmd in the XP_INST_v04.7z from the first post?

Yes, it does.

fixBoot.USB is automatic there.

USB BIOS boot is strange sometimes.

Can you name some hardware examples? Do you use Dell? a optiplex 845?

Yes, it does.

fixBoot.USB is automatic there.

USB BIOS boot is strange sometimes.

Can you name some hardware examples? Do you use Dell? a optiplex 845?

To be clear I should replace the setup.cmd in the IMA file from page one with the one in the link above and is this the only line dll = setup, fixBoot.USB to deleted from txtsetup.oem?

I do work on Dells. Reloaded 7 this week and two were Optiplex 845 (actually not sure if they were 845, will check Monday.) I will start making a better note of the make and models so I can report working and not working.

Edited by laddanator

Firaidk and imdisk drver update in XP_INST_v05.7z at first post.

A flat ISO file is possible in addition.

No need to RAM load ISO image. At proper hardware RAM load approach is faster.

Example menu.lst, ISO file /images/winsetup.iso.

title Setup Windows from ISO : \nBoot once from USB; with virtual CD+Floppy XP_INST.IMA

map /images/winsetup.iso (222)

map --mem /images/XP_INST.IMA (fd0)

map --mem /images/XP_INST.IMA (fd1)

map --mem (md)0x800+4 (99)

checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && geometry (hd1) && map (hd0) (hd1)

checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && geometry (hd1) && map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

write --offset=0 (fd0)/setup/ISOimage.ini \\images\\winsetup.iso\n;\n;\n;

write --offset=0 (fd1)/setup/ISOimage.ini \\images\\winsetup.iso\n;\n;\n;

write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/images/winsetup.iso;floppy,vmem=find:/images/firadisk.img;\n\0

chainloader (222)

Or try a simple automatic

map --mem /images/winsetup.iso (222) || map /images/winsetup.iso (222)

However: How much RAM requires textmode setup?

How to calculate free RAM at grub4dos?

How to calculate free RAM and subtrahend textmode part?

Firaidk and imdisk drver update in XP_INST_v05.7z at first post.

Will test today. Did you have to update the setup.cmd in anyway

I would add the chainloader line as below

title Setup Windows from ISO : \nBoot once from USB; with virtual CD+Floppy XP_INST.IMA

map /images/winsetup.iso (222)

map --mem /images/XP_INST.IMA (fd0)

map --mem /images/XP_INST.IMA (fd1)

map --mem (md)0x800+4 (99)

checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && geometry (hd1) && map (hd0) (hd1)

checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && geometry (hd1) && map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

write --offset=0 (fd0)/setup/ISOimage.ini \\images\\winsetup.iso\n;\n;\n;

write --offset=0 (fd1)/setup/ISOimage.ini \\images\\winsetup.iso\n;\n;\n;

write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/images/winsetup.iso;floppy,vmem=find:/images/firadisk.img;\n\0

chainloader (222)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

In my case if I don't add the line on bold, my ISO will prompt me to hit any key to boot but with the line...boots right into setup

Glad you posted this. Much simple menu.lst than mine. I actually was going to post a very simple version of my method later today but you beat me to it :realmad::w00t:

Thanks, cdob

Edited by laddanator

if required, USB drivers loaded at a addional reboot

When does the addition reboot take place if needed?

If I could get this registry entry to work, could be wrote on the fly to the setup.cmd and imdisk mount would not be needed

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FiraDisk /v StartOptions /t REG_SZ /d "StartOptions"="cdrom,vmem=find:/images/winsetup.iso"

What is the?

Run setup CMDline: setup -newsetup-

Does this new setup.cmd run cleanup automatically?

Edited by laddanator

What do you mean?

What is the problem with that?

I was saying since you can actually load XP with nothing but firadisk (but has to be done in two boots to USB and using grub4dos) and Imdisk is never used. I like Imdisk but if it all can be done with one driver (firadisk) would be great also. I have successfully installed XP with nothing but two firadisk commands but I don't like having to boot to USB to run a second g4d command

This being in the first command

write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/XP/ISO/HOME.ISO;floppy,vmem=find:/XP/Floppy/firadisk.img;\n\0

and this in the second boot to USB and g4d command

write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/XP/ISO/HOME.ISO;\n\0

I was reading you can add this command to registry (can't remember the link..will find and post)

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FiraDisk /v StartOptions /t REG_SZ /d "StartOptions"="cdrom,vmem=find:/?" 

and this would eliminate a second boot to USB for a second g4d command and the need for Imdisk mount for GUI

My problem is I added the registry command to my presetup.cmd and added a reboot command shutdown /r and when computer reboots, the command is not run and I get that global can't find CD error thing. So not exactly sure if the command is wrong. At this point I am not using, cdob XP_INST_v05 for this test but just the plain firadisk.ima.

@cdob, I just finished a XP Home install on my Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 with you new XP_INST_v05.7z and all went well.

Edited by laddanator

Yes, the question was because the snippet you posted seems like a "badly" formed one (bad copy/paste, typo, random attempt?:w00t:).

If you run that you get in Registry:

a key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FiraDisk

with in it a REG_SZ named "StartOptions" CONTAINING "StartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/images/winsetup.iso"

What you want INSTEAD is more probably:

a key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FiraDisk

with in it a REG_SZ named "StartOptions" CONTAINING ONLY "cdrom,vmem=find:/images/winsetup.iso"

jaclaz