Problem with VGA.SYS

cannot find file vga.sys

Hi all,

have followed instructions and have successfully made a xp home install stick. (no slipstreaming or extras - just a standard copy of an xp home sp2 disc)

The flash drive is picked up by my laptop and the install starts, but then fails with an error "cannot find file vga.sys".

I notice that on the flash drive the file is called vga.sy_ and all other files seem to be truncated in this way (with an underscore at the end _ )

But this is also how the files are listed when I explore the original disc.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

many thanks for any advice

Edited by SimonCleaver

Hi all,

have followed instructions and have successfully made a xp home install stick. (no slipstreaming or extras - just a standard copy of an xp home sp2 disc)

The flash drive is picked up by my laptop and the install starts, but then fails with an error "cannot find file vga.sys".

I notice that on the flash drive the file is called vga.sy_ and all other files seem to be truncated in this way (with an underscore at the end _ )

But this is also how the files are listed when I explore the original disc.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

many thanks for any advice

The "change" from "somename.xyz" to "somename.xy_" is normal. Most source files are compressed (and expanded during setup).

The error is not however "normal".

I wonder what could be causing it, as if you can see the vga.sy_ file in explorere it should mean that there is not a problem with the filesystem.

I would try copying (overwriting the one on the stick) again vga.sy_ and also add vga.sys. (easiest would b eto use 7-zip to expand vga.sy_ to vga.sys, or you can use the command-line expand.exe:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888017/en-us

Even if it works, it shouldn't be needed, though. :unsure:

jaclaz

I would try copying (overwriting the one on the stick) again vga.sy_ and also add vga.sys. (easiest would b eto use 7-zip to expand vga.sy_ to vga.sys, or you can use the command-line expand.exe:

many thanks - will give it a try.

I am trying to reinstall on a friends laptop, his dvd drive doesn't work.

The os is completely knackered at the moment - firewall wont start, desktop settings can't be changed, system very slow, plus multiple other wierd things!!

Edited by jaclaz

many thanks - will give it a try.

I am trying to reinstall on a friends laptop, his dvd drive doesn't work.

The os is completely knackered at the moment - firewall wont start, desktop settings can't be changed, system very slow, plus multiple other wierd things!!

Didn't work!

I replaced VGA.SY_ and unpacked and added vga.sys to usb.

But I still get the same error.

Any other ideas - this has me stumped!

No ideas right now. :(

Do the following:

Open a command prompt, run in it:

DIR /S D:\>C:\USBdir.txt

provided that the USB stick is D: and your hard disk is C: (otherwise change drive letters accordingly).

Take the resulting USBdir.txt and compress it to a .zip archive and post as attachment to the board.

Someone may be able to spot if there is anything "weird" in your USB files. :unsure:

jaclaz

No ideas right now. :(

Do the following:

Open a command prompt, run in it:

DIR /S D:\>C:\USBdir.txt

provided that the USB stick is D: and your hard disk is C: (otherwise change drive letters accordingly).

Take the resulting USBdir.txt and compress it to a .zip archive and post as attachment to the board.

Someone may be able to spot if there is anything "weird" in your USB files. :unsure:

jaclaz

Thanks. Sorry for delay, been away for a bit.

zip attached with USBdir.txt

Now, just to confound the problem - I uninstalled sp3 and now the laptop will not boot at all, I get a blue screen and it loops into reboot. I have disable auto restart and get a blue screen telling me to turn of any extra hardware in the bios etc.

I think it may just be time for a new hard drive and external dvd!!

USBdir.zip

Hia ll,

wonder if anyone can help me, I'm stumped.

Have a fujitsu siemens amilopro v2035.

Internal dvd is not working.

XP home is totally corrupted

I have created usb install.

Install starts, but fails as initial load up screen is running with "vga.sys cannot be found"

I have copied VGA.SY_ and expanded vgs.sys to root folder and i386 folders (and all others for good measure), but still getting same error.

Another member of the board advised me to post USBdir.txt, it is attached.

Anyone have any ideas or is it time for new HDD and external DVD

many thanks

USBdir.zip