Periscope File Manager

I've been writing a cross-platform file manager/shell/launcher that supports every version of Windows from 95 and up to 7, and Linux, Mac, BSD, etc.

It is written in Python/wxPython. The current release is broken on many platforms, but not Windows, so if you'd like to give it a spin you could head over to the project page:

http://code.google.com/p/periscope-file-manager/

It is, in it's current stage, functional enough for you to check out. It acts like a cross between Program Manager, Workplace Shell, and Windows Explorer.

I'm developing this for myself, really, but I've released it under an open source license, so if anyone wants to contribute or tweak it to their liking they are welcome to.

The current version as of this post is v.05, which is available in the downloads section at the above link.

All major bugs should be fixed by v.06, so if you want to play it extra-safe, wait for that release.

Enjoy.

Edited by EyesOfARaven

Tried it, didn't run. Though I have python 2.5.1, not 2.6. Windows XP.

pythonw.exe does not tell anything, just didn't run. When I'm trying to launch it with python.exe, it complains about missing wx module. Please specify the system and python requirements in more details, or upload full pack, so I shouldn't search for something missing.

Tried it again with Python 2.5 and 2.6, and wxPython 2.8. The same with pythonw, with python received the following error:

Periscope File Manager

copyright © 2009 The Infotaxis Project

All rights reserved.

Traceback Onost recent call last):

File "c:\periscope\periscope.py'', line 442, in <module>

application = app(0)

File "d:\Python25\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_core.py'', line

, in _init_

self._BootstrapApp()

File "d:\Python25\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_core.py", line

in _BootstrapApp

return _core_.PyApp_BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)

File ''c:\periscope\periscope.py", line 423, in OnInit

frame = main(None, -1, abspath+" - Periscope")

File ''c:\periscope\periscope.py", line 363, in _init_

self.SetstatusText("Periscope "+opsys+" - "+str(itms)+" items''+hidline)

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'hidline' referenced before assignment

• 3 weeks later...

Check the Google code page for specific requirements, or follow my directions below. If your system has all of these, please post the exact error you are receiving, along with the exact OS version (even if it isn't 98, as this is a crossplatform program), what packs/etc. (KernelEX, Revolutions, 98SE2ME, etc.) you may be running, and any other pertinent information you feel is useful.

Oh and be sure to use the Periscope .5 update, as it includes a number of small but important fixes over .4.

If you install ActivePython 2.5, this includes everything you need except WX. Please be sure to use the Unicode version of wxpython, as the ANSI version is apparently not maintained too well and does not work (at least for me).

I do care about feedback, and appreciate it. I have been busy (my brother got married) and am now back to troubleshoot any issues you might have with Periscope. Development will pick back up shortly.

Thanks for your patience!

Edited by EyesOfARaven

UNICODE and Win 9x/ME don't usually mix well together... :whistle:

Just make sure you have UNICOWS (Mircosoft Unicode Layer for Windows) installed and you shouldn't have any trouble with that. While Unicode and 9x don't get along fantastically, I haven't had any trouble with this or VLC, both of which use it. I have no choice in the matter, as the wxPython ANSI distribution is broken it seems. Feel free to try it if you want, but you will most likely experience errors running the script if you try the ANSI version of wxPython.

My Windows 98 box has 98SE2ME, GDI Heap Extender, all official updates, a number of smaller tweaks, wxPython Unicode, comtypes, pywin32, and ofc Python 2.5. (Comtypes and Pywin32 are the submodules that come with ActivePython that I actually use, you could download and install them separately but they aren't super-easy to find download links for).

Edited by EyesOfARaven

Can you make an executable?

A valid request and probably a good idea for testing, since it will be more accessible. This isn't the easiest thing to do in Python, however, so it will take some time before I can get around to it. I will post back here (and on the project page) when I have, though.

I just did some major revamping (new version not released yet though) including the following:

-Fixed any and all glitches that have arisen from .4 to .5 for Win9x due to development on Win7.

-Changed the icon system to use whatever Explorer would use for almost all icons (folders are really the only exception).

As we stand it's not ready for release because the new icon system broke shell mode, but I am working on it right now.

Here's a screenshot of it on Windows 7:

periscope7.th.png

And here's one of it on Windows 98SE:

periscope9x.th.png

Here's a revision of what you should install to run it on 98SE, from my own experience in setting up an environment for it today:

- ActivePython 2.5.4

- Comtypes 5.2

- wxPython 2.8 win32 Unicode

When .6 is ready to launch I'll be sure to also package a UPX-compressed EXE version that should be tiny and portable. :)

Edit: Oh and note that the reason I only gave screenshots of explorer mode is because shell mode is broken ATM, and media mode is very.. preliminary.

Edited by EyesOfARaven

At last I've managed to run it. But what can it do now? I can see five shortcuts (btw, nice icons. Nostalgic.): control panel and command line, which are working, Periscope, which is not :) , and two folders. I can go into these folders and back, but I cannot go anywhere else and do something else. Waiting for the 0.6...

At last I've managed to run it. But what can it do now? I can see five shortcuts (btw, nice icons. Nostalgic.): control panel and command line, which are working, Periscope, which is not :) , and two folders. I can go into these folders and back, but I cannot go anywhere else and do something else. Waiting for the 0.6...

I am going to fix up shell mode tonight (in a few minutes I'll start, in fact) and then .6 will be ready for release - which will probably happen tomorrow.

Until then, if Periscope's explorer mode is broken as you say, I'll explain how to use shell mode (which is what you are in):

In the Periscope folder, you will find a folder called "PRS" - think of this as the "Start Menu" folder in explorer. Whatever you put in here, including directories, will end up replicated in Periscope Launcher.

You can put shortcuts, exe files, documents, folders - whatever you want in here. This basically acts as the "start menu" for Periscope, and it is something of a hybrid, functionally, between Program Manager, Workplace Shell, and Explorer.

Again, I will post here when I have an update.

Edit: I finished the requisite work tonight, it was much less broken than I thought, so it's all done and uploaded. I also uploaded dependency packages for 9x and NT, so it's easy for everyone! :D

http://code.google.com/p/periscope-file-ma.../downloads/list

I will make an EXE build sometime, but I am unsure when.

Edit 2:

Ah yes, I forgot to mention, there is ONE known bug - filenames with parenthesis seem to not get along with it. Nothing bad happens, but they get cut off upon trying to open them. I haven't had a chance to track that down yet.

Edit 3:

I made an EXE build for all of you who don't feel like installing the Depdencies packages:

http://periscope-file-manager.googlecode.c...6-win32-bin.rar

Note that I adapted the code to run from EXE instead of PY really quickly, so even though I tested it and it was working for me, it might not work for you. If you encounter a problem, please tell me and in the meantime you can try the script release.

Edited by EyesOfARaven

Hi, I got the "device attached to the system is not functioning" and "periscope.exe expects a new version of windows" errors with the exe version on w98se. :sneaky:

Also "You must upgrade Windows" LOL!

Now what are the advantages of Periscope over other file managers?