Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

Fernando!

I just want to be sure i'll be installing the correct drivers: what kind of file should I be looking for on the Asus drivers disk that indicates its a win7 driver for ahci?

Is there any way to verify the ssd is running in ahci mode?

Well then it looks like I am almost set thanks to you!

I really appreciate your time and efforts. I am not sure anyone else here would have the patience.

Edited by sdubs

I just want to be sure i'll be installing the correct drivers: what kind of file should I be looking for on the Asus drivers disk that indicates its a win7 driver for ahci?
Windows 7 will never install a wrong driver unless you force the installation despite all warnings.
Is there any way to verify the ssd is running in ahci mode?
Your SSD is definitively running in AHCI mode, because the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager shows the generic MS AHCI Controller.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Fernando! thank you ! At last. Finally I've reached AHCI mode--the promised land for my ssd (I hope).

Windows 7 will never install a wrong driver unless you force the installation despite all warnings.

O.K. So I go to device manager->IDE ATA/ ATAPT controllers-> Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller->properties-> driver-> update driver-> browse my computer -> and point to the ahci drivers from my MB disk or if I want the downloaded drivers from AMD?

Which drivers do you recommend the 3.2.1540.24 (from MB) or the 11.8 or whatever form the AMD site? or something else? I am on the right track with this?--> (Point to the driver and update driver?)

I hope you are enjoying your holiday.

Regards,

sdubs

So I go to device manager->IDE ATA/ ATAPT controllers-> Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller->properties-> driver-> update driver-> browse my computer -> and point to the ahci drivers from my MB disk or if I want the downloaded drivers from AMD?
Yes, that is the exact procedure (even easier: right click onto the "Stanard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" > "Update Driver Soiftware")
Which drivers do you recommend the 3.2.1540.24 (from MB) or the 11.8 or whatever form the AMD site? or something else? I am on the right track with this?--> (Point to the driver and update driver?)
I doubt, that the AMD driver v3.2.1540.24 of your MB CD will work with Windows 7 (all AMD AHCI drivers named ahcix86.sys are only designed for Windows XP). So it is better to take the actual AMD AHCI driver set 11.8 or - if available very soon - 11.9.

Alternatively you may try - depending on the architecture of your Win7 installation (32bit or 64bit) - one of the small driver packs containing just the actual AMD AHCI driver v1.2.1.0296 for Windows 7 (32/64 bit) dated 04/15/2011, which will support the AMD AHCI Controller of your system:

32bit AMD AHCI Driver v1.2.1.0296 WHQL for Windows 7 x86

64bit AMD AHCI Driver v1.2.1.0296 WHQL for Windows 7 x64

Additional tip:

It might be possible, that the generic MS AHCI driver named MSAHCI.SYS is the best choice for managing your SSD, because this driver definitively does support the TRIM command, which will automaticly clean the SSD, whereas this function is not clear with the AMD AHCI drivers

That is why I recommend to find out yourself, which of both AHCI drivers is the best choice for your special system.

You can easily change the AHCI driver without installing anything new: Do a right click onto the AHCI Controller > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my Computer" > let it show all compatible devices > choose the AHCI Controller you want (MS AHCI or AMD AHCI). After the next reboot the OS will automaticly use the related AHCI driver from Microsoft or AMD.

This way you can easily compare them both, for example by running a benchmark test like AS SSD..

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Fernando,

I think I will just use the windows driver as it supports trim, as you suggested, therefore I don't need to update or install any drivers because windows installed the MSAHCI.SYS driver automatically when I installed OS. Correct? Also, about the driver that you uploaded: does it support win7 64bit and SB8xx?

So I go to device manager->IDE ATA/ ATAPT controllers-> Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller->properties-> driver-> update driver-> browse my computer -> and point to the ahci drivers from my MB disk or if I want the downloaded drivers from AMD?This
Yes, that is the exact procedure (even easier: right click onto the "Stanard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" > "Update Driver Soiftware")
I doubt, that the AMD driver v3.2.1540.24 of your MB CD will work with Windows 7 (all AMD AHCI drivers named ahcix86.sys are only designed for Windows XP). So it is better to take the actual AMD AHCI driver set 11.8 or - if available very soon - 11.9.

Alternatively you may try >this< small driver pack containing the actual AMD SB7xx AHCI driver v1.2.1.0296 for Windows 7 (32bit) dated 04/15/2011 I have just uploaded for you.

Additional tip:

It might be possible, that the generic MS AHCI driver named MSAHCI.SYS is the best choice for managing your SSD, because this driver definitively does support the TRIM command, which will automaticly clean the SSD, whereas this function is not clear with the AMD AHCI drivers

That is why I recommend to find out yourself, which of both AHCI drivers is the best choice for your special system.

You can easily change the AHCI driver without installing anything new: Do a right click onto the AHCI Controller > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my Computer" > let it show all compatible devices > choose the AHCI Controller you want (MS AHCI or AMD AHCI). After the next reboot the OS will automaticly use the related AHCI driver from Microsoft or AMD.

This way you can easily compare them both, for example by running a benchmark test like AS SSD..

Regards

Fernando

Thanks again,

sdubs

I think I will just use the windows driver as it supports trim, as you suggested, therefore I don't need to update or install any drivers because windows installed the MSAHCI.SYS driver automatically when I installed OS. Correct?
Correct.
Also, about the driver that you uploaded: does it support win7 64bit and SB8xx?
1. The driver link I have posted yesterday, is only suitabe with the 32bit version of Windows 7.

Since you have written about a Windows XP > Windows 7 upgrade version, I believed, that you are running Win7 x86 now.

2. According to the INF file entries the AMD AHCI driver v1.2.1.0296 will support your special AMD AHCI Controller.

To make these things clearer for you and other visitors of this thread, I have just edited my last post and added the Win7x64 version of the driver. So you will now find both 32bit (for Win7 x86) and 64bit (for Win7 x64) versions of the AMD AHCI driver 1.2.1.0296 WHQL for Windows 7.

Hoping, that this helps

Fernando

Fernando, Thank you for clearing that up. So, you are recommending going with the amd driver over the windows one?

Also, can you believe that I found this thread because I read somewhere that in order to get a ssd to run in ahci on a windows7 upgrade, I had to first get my XP machine to load the ahci drivers so that when win7 loaded it would see the drivers and install them. If no ahci in XP then no ahci in 7. I also thought I needed to Slipstream XP with sp3 so that I could load drivers manually @ install, hence, why I am here on the Nlite thread. So, I've learned a lot from coming here: I had not used nlite before, never slipstreamed a disk or iso'd an os, and didn't know anything about textmode drivers. As you remember Fernando, from my first post how I detailed everything I did: made a disk, enabled ahci in BIOS, booted up disk....etc. I did this a few times... deleting partitions and starting over again. Yet all it took was for Fernando to point me to the upgrade workaround and that pretty much did it!

So, all on all I learned something here and have a better running machine. I don't have much to offer in return, and I find it hard to believe there are no serious burns for the noob on here.

Thank you Fernando!! It looks like you have helped countless on this thread!

So, which drivers?

Edited by sdubs

So, you are recommending going with the amd driver over the windows one?
It is not an installation "on top", but a simple replacement of a driver by another completely compatible one.

If I were you, I would test the AMD AHCI driver and compare it with the generic MS AHCI driver.

Since the MS AHCI driver will still be available for the OS and can easily be reinstalled from within the Device Manager, it will not be risky at all.

Enjoy your SSD running in AHCI mode and try to find out the best SATA AHCI driver for it!

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Fernando,

So, you are recommending going with the amd driver over the windows one?

Since the MS AHCI driver will still be available for the OS and can easily be reinstalled from within the Device Manager, it will not be risky at all.

If I want/need to go back to MS AHCI drivers; all I have to do is go to->properties->drivers-> roll back driver?

• I downloaded the driver you posted.

• Went to device manager->IDE ATA/ ATAPT controllers-> Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller->properties-> driver-> update driver-> browse my computer ->let me pick-> pointed to drivers.

• This is the new screen of device managerpost-331666-0-08259400-1317339170_thumb. (notice that "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" is missing now)

Does this look right? Why are there now only "ATA Channel 0 & ATA Channel 1"

You are pretty sure these drivers do not support TRIM? Because from what I am learning it is moderately important to have trim active.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you,

sdubs

This is the new screen of device manager (notice that "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" is missing now)

Does this look right?

That looks pretty good and verifies, that I have uploaded the correct AMD AHCI driver for your system.
Why are there now only "ATA Channel 0 & ATA Channel 1"
Each of the listed "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers" has 2 ATA Channels, whereas the AMD AHCI Controller doesn't have a double channel system. That is quite normal and nothing to worry about.
You are pretty sure these drivers do not support TRIM?
No, I am not sure about that. According to the statements given by AMD the actual AMD SATA AHCI drivers named amd_sata.sys do support TRIM, but only if they are running with an actual AMD Southbridge (SB6xx and SB7xx systems obviously do not support the TRIM command).

So if your mainboard has an AMD chipset, which belongs to the SB8xx series, you can be optimistic, that the TRIM command will be supported.

My tip: Compare both AHCI drivers (from MS and AMD) and decide yourself, which is the best for your system.

Regards

Fernando

Fernando,

I will do some comparing. Which program do you all recommend for running tests on ssd? Also, just confirming that all I have to do is -> rollback driver to switch back to the MS driver?

Thank you,

sdubs

Which program do you all recommend for running tests on ssd?
I recommend to use the AS SSD benchmark tool. You can get it >here<.
Also, just confirming that all I have to do is -> rollback driver to switch back to the MS driver?
Yes. Alternatively you can always switch the AHCI driver between the AMD and MS one within the Device Manager by doing a right click onto the AHCI Controller > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my Computer" > "Show all compatible devices" or similar. Then you always will get the option either to choose the "Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller" (using the generic MS AHCI driver named msahci.sys) or the "AMD SATA Controller" (using the AMD AHCI driver nmed amd_sata.sys). After the next reboot your SSD will be managed by the AHCI driver you have just chosen.

Regards

Fernando

• 2 weeks later...
Please tell me where link new driver SATA, AHCI (masstore) driver for Windows XP 64 bit?
It depends on the Southbridge of your mainbord.

Did you try the 64bit driver, which I had linked within post No 149?

Regards

Fernando

• 2 months later...

Hello, Fernando. Do you think there is a fix for my issue?

- win 7 64, raid 0 on a sb7xx ---> motherboard change with a sb950 --- >bsod

I have a drivesnapshot.de image of the win7 partition just before the mobo change. Can i do some insertion to make it boot? Windows repair will not work as the partition is 20GB and just a few GB free.