Frustration at standard of programming at work

iceangel89

Exactly what I was thinking. Ever since I started this new job (since the beginning of May), there have been quite a few dull moments.

Dull moments I can live with no problem. Every job has not-so-exciting parts. Doing what needs to be done instead of doing what you feel like doing is often like that, but you're getting paid for it... (If it was easy and fun, it surely wouldn't pay much as there are worse jobs at minimum wage). However, the amount of stuff to know and learn all the time is a constant, never-ending struggle.

You can try to specialize, and hope you'll always be able to find a job within that niche for your entire life (unlikely as tech changes so fast), or spend most of your time trying to keep up with it all (i.e. not have a life)... Falling behind isn't much of an option here.

BTW, "Something hardware-based" sounds quite vague.

i guess maybe setting up and administering servers? i think thats abit like what MSFN is for, in my opinion. setting up and administering servers wont change much even when the internal hardware changes. eg. intel processors change alot but to system builders and admins they are still the same ... so that kind of job wont need too much upgrading ... :) but i think not for me.

i guess maybe setting up and administering servers? i think thats abit like what MSFN is for, in my opinion. setting up and administering servers wont change much even when the internal hardware changes. eg. intel processors change alot but to system builders and admins they are still the same ... so that kind of job wont need too much upgrading ... :) but i think not for me.

No, like actually developing the hardware. :rolleyes: I'm in computer engineering, so I could go either way, really (i.e., hardware or software).

No, like actually developing the hardware. :rolleyes:

That's also changing very rapidly. Lots of electronics people are stuck in the 70's and 80's electronics (e.g. 555's and 74LSxxx chips), but we're in a different era altogether (with WAY more advanced parts e.g. some fairly advanced microcontroller lines, CPLDs, FPGAs and so on, and WAY more complex designs and PCBs, all running increasingly complex software).

I'm in computer engineering, so I could go either way, really (i.e., hardware or software).

My job involves both sides almost equally, and that's probably what makes it even harder. You get to keep up with both (hey, it's only twice as bad :lol:)

Off to work, to fix some problems with some new analog board (opamp problem), write some C and a bunch more things...

I had once, out of necessity, switched careers from software to sales. Working in sales didn't work too well for me, while I was good at it, I am not a person that is motivated by money. So I have been back in software again, but that short time working in sales (it was aggressive outside sales, no telemarketing or sitting behind a desk) helped me gain leadership and business intelligence skills I didn't have before. So sometimes you just need a short vacation!