Opinions of Case

hawkecho125

whats your favourite brand  

18 members have voted

1. 1. post your favourite individual case (ie. model and brand), not just brand

• Antec
    • Coolermaster
    • Gigabyte
    • Lian Li
    • NZXT
    • Silverstone
    • thermaltake
    • Zalman
    • Other, please post bellow

I'm using the case in attachment (Raidmax Ninja Black). Not worried about airflow since i'm using watercooling, nor about optical media, my DVD-RW drive is only used for installation purposes, I don't think it wrote more than 10 disks in ~1 year since I got it...

post-81039-1245303195_thumb.jpg

I don't use optical media quite as much as I used to, but I always hated those things and usually ended up removing them as they only got in my way. As for looks, I don't really see a difference, and noise wise, the computers are always buried by ambient noise anyhow...
But if I was to get something awesome looking I would get an Antec 900V2 as it is fair bit cheaper than a HAF in my area.

Cheaper indeed. But a lot less place inside. Less cooling. Less extras e.g. no wheels and no PSU extensions like you often need on bottom mounted PSUs, one less port at the front (albeit minor), less drive bays (matters a lot to me -- one of the biggest factors actually)... Besides price, the only place where the 900 is nicer is the air filters.

If anything, I'd want a couple more drive bays, a more plain looking case (no ugly side windows, no fans that light up, no weird looking plastic stuff) -- basically another CM Stacker 810. The Cosmos is probably the next best thing, but it's twice the price as a antec 900 indeed. Anyhow, there's many other options worth looking into. NZXT Whisper Silent perhaps. Or even the Antec 1200.

Either ways, it's not for now. I got a pair of new LCDs to buy before that at least.

I just think it looks neater with the front door as the case looks the same all over and you can use odd color drives and it won't detract from looks when the door is closed. The 900 has plenty enough cooling power for me and I don't reckon I will need wheels on my PC right now ;) But I have heard it is a little small for some but I have never owned a large expensive case so its OK. Don't need any more than one optical drive bay and two HDD bays either so thats OK for me. But if I did have a lot of HDD's I would buy one of those big cases for sure.

I found the CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 KSN and it was exactly what I needed.

Very similar to the Cosmos S I was looking at. Different side panel color, couple drive bay's size, a couple different fans, but it's nearly identical (only $5 difference at ncix as well). I'm also leaning towards that right now. In fact, I most likely will pick the 1000 over the S now. Thanks!

I found the CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 KSN and it was exactly what I needed.

Very similar to the Cosmos S I was looking at. Different side panel color, couple drive bay's size, a couple different fans, but it's nearly identical (only $5 difference at ncix as well). I'm also leaning towards that right now. In fact, I most likely will pick the 1000 over the S now. Thanks!

No problem. Pair it with a nice modular PSU like the Enermax MODU series (using an 82+ myself) and you won't be sorry. The drive bays with fans over them directly has been quite nice too.

I just think it looks neater with the front door as the case looks the same all over and you can use odd color drives and it won't detract from looks when the door is closed.

Looks over function IMO (and even then, I don't find doors particularly attractive).

I don't reckon I will need wheels on my PC right now ;)

Once you have a big heavy case (a good 30lbs right there), put a dozen (relatively heavy) hard drives in it, a big PSU (none of this 350W generic stuff that weighs 50 grams -- big transformers, big heat sinks and all), big coolers and everything else, wheels start to look very attractive (this PC likely weighs about 70lbs)

Pair it with a nice modular PSU like the Enermax MODU series (using an 82+ myself) and you won't be sorry.

I was thinking about a Corsair TX850W. It's not modular, but it's not like there's no place inside the case for the couple extra cables. LOTS of power: 840W/70A on 12v rail alone! And tons more on the 5v/3.3v too should you need it, 850W combined (rated at 50C), plenty of cables for everything (8 SATA, 8 molex, etc) which are plenty long, it's 80 plus (more like 83% around where I'll idle), clean stable power and all. Built by Channel Well Tech (not bad, good Japanese caps -- even some polymer, no wimpy parts, no small heat sinks, etc). Power which tends to be needed when a dozen hard drives decide to spin all at once (I'll gladly accept donations of $800 12 port Areca cards if anyone has too much money; I just can't afford staggered spin up) on top of your average load. Not bad at all for $132 CAD (that's $116 USD at the current rate). A similar Enermax (which I've had numerous problems with in the past -- and sometimes worries me a bit e.g. the very high ripple on the 1000w galaxy) e.g. the ERV850EWT (840W combined on 12v rails too) would run me at least twice that even after mail in rebates. The extra $100 to $150 is a little steep for having a couple less cables in the case (I'd rather put that money towards more storage)

The drive bays with fans over them directly has been quite nice too.

Good to hear. Although I wasn't too worried, CM just seem to do such a great job out of cooling/airflow.

I just think it looks neater with the front door as the case looks the same all over and you can use odd color drives and it won't detract from looks when the door is closed.

Looks over function IMO (and even then, I don't find doors particularly attractive).

I don't reckon I will need wheels on my PC right now ;)

Once you have a big heavy case (a good 30lbs right there), put a dozen (relatively heavy) hard drives in it, a big PSU (none of this 350W generic stuff that weighs 50 grams -- big transformers, big heat sinks and all), big coolers and everything else, wheels start to look very attractive (this PC likely weighs about 70lbs)

Yeah could be useful for some (even my PC started to get heavy with a new PSU-in sig-and CPU cooler) but if I ever need to move it somewhere it is to a location out of my house to a LAN party or downstairs so it would need to be picked up anyway.

I go fairly minimal with hardware in my PC (one optical, one HDD, integrated sound/LAN) to make it lighter and take up less space inside the PC and because I don't need more drives and integrated sound/LAN is fairly good on my mobo. I can see some people would need wheels on big heavy PC's though if just moving from room to room or along a desk etc.

Edited by Zenskas

I personally love my Coolermaster Praetorian, I paid a lot of money for it and it does it's job well, sucks that it only works with 80mm fans, but it still keeps my system cool! No metal on this baby :) (plus doesn't it sound cool?)

I personally love my Coolermaster Praetorian, I paid a lot of money for it and it does it's job well, sucks that it only works with 80mm fans, but it still keeps my system cool! No metal on this baby :) (plus doesn't it sound cool?)

I have that too. No metal you say? Mine's all aluminium.

Can you remove the front mesh from outside? (Never done it, I'd hate to dismantle everything, and the filter inside is drowning in dust, I can feel it). :(

GL

Mines all aluminum thats the main reasons why I bought it :P No you have to take the whole front panel off by using a hex tool. Thats the only down fall. But I use a vacuum or a blower to clean the bottom filter out.

When I bought mine, I but replacement fans for it. I got 4 80mm blue LED fans and it just looks cool :)

No you have to take the whole front panel off by using a hex tool. Thats the only down fall.

Thanks, will try it sometime...

But I use a vacuum or a blower to clean the bottom filter out.

Me too, but inside the case I find very small particles of the filter (black sponge material) = unnatural black dust. Plus the filter is detached on one edge (I can see from inside the case) = it makes me very uncomfortable. I might remove it altogether.

BTW if I leave the door of the small tray (with USB ports) open I get 2-3 degrees lower temps inside. ;) It shows there's insufficient intake of air (either the filter is blocking it or the PSU fan disrupts the balance (2 fans in, 2 out without it)).

GL