how to move XATSP and XPSTP to other directory

Usbmuitiboot_10 is good.

But it leave many files on the root of USB drives. I want to make the root clean so I successfully hex edit NTLDR and put boot.ini to a directory named WXPE. Also I hex edit GRLDR and put menu.lst in WXPE too.

I want to move the setup loader XATSP and XPSTP to WXPE too, but failed to hex edit XATSP.bs and XPSTP.bs. I just revised string "XATSP" and "XPSTP"in file XATSP.bs and XATSP.bs to \WXPE\XATSP and to \WXPE\XATSP respectively.

I want to move NTDETECT.COM to WXPE directory too, failed too.

Thanks to any reply.

There is a 5 Letter limit in NTFS Bootsector, where you can Replace N T L D R in X P S T P

The BootSector does NOT allow the kind of changes that you propose.

In order to have a Clean Root, you can make a folder e.g. DATA and put everything you want to see

and is NOT belonging to XP Setup in this folder DATA. Then on opening DATA your Root is clean.

Use a current syslinux. Chainload setupldr.bin.

* chain.c32: option "ntldr=" as a shorthand for "seg=0x2000

file="; use this to load one of WinNT's loaders:

chain.c32 hd0 1 ntldr=/MiniNT/setupldr.bin

Or use grub4dos and chainload setupldr.bin.

I move NTDETECT.COM to WXPE folder with name NTD.COM successfully.

I hope to move TXTSETUP.SIF to WXPE folder too.

Change setupldr.bin: TXTSETUP.SIF to WXPE\XP.SIF

thanks to cdob.

I just revised the first found txtsetup.sif to \WXPE\xp.sif, that is OK!

I know if I use grub4dos, only single file GRLDR left on the root, if I use syslinux, no file left on the root directory.

==

I am still thinking of changing bootsecter file to change NT LOADER position.

For NTFS's bootsecter is 8K and for the 5 letters limit you can't change it.

For FAT32's bootsecter is 1K and the its last string is XPSTP, and I think it is possible to revise it to \WX\U, thus I can put setup loader XPSTP to WX folder.

For NTFS's bootsecter is 8K and for the 5 letters limit you can't change it.

Let's say that no one yet managed to find a way to Fix it, Vista bootsector has BOOTMGR, which is 7.

For FAT32's bootsecter is 1K and the its last string is XPSTP, and I think it is possible to revise it to \WX\U, thus I can put setup loader XPSTP to WX folder.

FAT32's bootsector was 512 bytes, last time I looked at it. :w00t:

There is space in it for a "full" 8+3 name, but I don't think that it will ever be able to"traverse" directories.

If you use grldr.mbr as the MBR, grub4dos grldr and menu.lst can be on ANY partition, even a hidden one.

jaclaz

For fat32 I sure to put boot loader to other directory. Howere I do not want to try, because I found best way to solve the problem.

Grldr.mbr as the single MBR and use grldr to install xp. All the necessary files are all in the abnormal directory which can't be deleted under windows by normal delete.

I have succeeded!

If you have interest I will give more details.

Thanks to anyone here.

I have succeeded!

If you have interest I will give more details.

You can BET we are interested :thumbup , heck this is our hobby :wacko: !

We are craving for new ideas/methods/ways. B)

In exchange for your report, I will give you this link ;):

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7138

I am sure you will be interested in that approach. :)

jaclaz

:whistle:

In fact nothing special, I just combine all know methods together, now descripe the key step.

Revise setupldr find and replace ntdetect.com to wxp~1\nd.com, txtsetup.sif to wxp~1\ts.sif and bootfont.bin to wxp~1\ft.bin.

Revise grldr find and replace menu.lst to wxp~1\me.

Revise setupldr.bin and setupdd.sys rename $WIN_NT$.~LS and $WIN_NT$.~BT to $WINLS~1 and $WINBT~1 respectively.

For starting windows for the first time from flash disk,

Put ntldr to wxpe folder too, revise it, find and replace ntdetect.com to wxp~1\nd.com and boot.ini to wxp~1\b.i For this step, I think I have found a good way, no need to use binifix4.cmd, ntldr and boot.ini, just use grldr's dd command to revise boot.ini on the hard disk.

For renaming normal directory to abnormal directory, use Smallfrogs Studio soft rename.exe.

That is all.

Nice. :)

I am not sure to have understood if you are using somehow the "short names" or "~1" can be "anything". :unsure:

Can you post a "dirtectory tree" of your setup, so that it is clearer?

jaclaz

For example:

To rename WXPE to abnormal WXP. under windows, open winrar browse to the flash disk and rename WXPE folder to WXP..\

Just this way banormal direcotry wxp. formed. The directory can be accessed by WIN+R wxp~1.

The following pic.

udata. is perseronal data folder.

utool. is software folder

wxp. is short file folder such as me, nd.com, ts.sif etc.

link is normal folder which contains .lnk file which can be opened to access abnomal folder.

the other two folders are winxp setup folders.

post-34326-1236866344_thumb.jpg

Edited by victor888