nLite issue, need help.

Zayne

Zayne, I think you misunderstood what I intended for you to do.

Rem Install .NET 3.5 and updates.
%Source%AddOns\dotnetfx35.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%AddOns\NDP20SP2-KB958481-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%AddOns\NDP30SP2-KB958483-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%AddOns\NDP35SP1-KB958484-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

To begin with, you only need 3.5, the others are included. What I show is for XP x64, so find the correct KBs for your XP. Place the .NET and KBs into a folder named AddOns and place it in you source folder on the same level as I386. And place the Code above, changed for your XP, in the RunOnce area. The .NET and updates will be installed on the final boot of your install. Please let us know how you made out.

I still want you to run the experiment I requested. You are throwing fuel on the fire with even more stuff. The fact that the Theme service was not running although set to Automatic is a problem that should be corrected and not ignored.

Enjoy, John.

Zayne, I think you misunderstood what I intended for you to do.
Rem Install .NET 3.5 and updates.
%Source%AddOns\dotnetfx35.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%AddOns\NDP20SP2-KB958481-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%AddOns\NDP30SP2-KB958483-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart
%Source%AddOns\NDP35SP1-KB958484-x64.exe /Passive /NoRestart

To begin with, you only need 3.5, the others are included. What I show is for XP x64, so find the correct KBs for your XP. Place the .NET and KBs into a folder named AddOns and place it in you source folder on the same level as I386. And place the Code above, changed for your XP, in the RunOnce area. The .NET and updates will be installed on the final boot of your install. Please let us know how you made out.

I still want you to run the experiment I requested. You are throwing fuel on the fire with even more stuff. The fact that the Theme service was not running although set to Automatic is a problem that should be corrected and not ignored.

Enjoy, John.

Do all my updates/hotfixes and the .NET installers absolutely have to be in the WinXP Source folder (ie: C:\WinXP\AddOns)? Aren't the updates/hotfixes already installed through the Hotfix integrator page?

About slipstreaming WMP11, you use the WMP11 Slipstreamer first, then add the WMP11 installer into the hotfix page correct? I'm not sure if I was doing it right or not, so I had to ask.

Edited by Zayne

Zayne, the updates go in the Hot Fix area and nLite integrates them into your source - don't need to place any other place. Only the .NET files need to be placed in the AddOns folder. Integrating WMP11 is part of nLite now for several versions. Just place the WMP11 installer in your Hot Fix section and nLite automatically runs WMP11 Slipstreamer. Be sure to have WMP11 Slipstreamer installed on your system and any updates to WMP11 AFTER the installer in the Hot Fix section. Good luck, John.

Well, I've fixed everything and used your suggestion for the .NET Framework RunOnce. Unfortunately, everything I've re-done seemed to have no effect on the Theme issue (it, once again, has shown up as Classic with no others showing up in Display properties). The .NET install also froze for a while, but did end up finishing.

The themes nonsense is starting to get aggravating to say the least.

Edited by Zayne

Zayne, .NET is a huge program and the install takes a loooooong time, even on a very fast machine. On the Theme issue, I'll repeat my previous inculcation:

I suspect your hot fixes, so try it with NONE. Enjoy, John.

I'll give it a shot right now, but what's the point of making a Slipstreamed disc if it's virtually the same as the original CD? =P. But yeah, trial and error - doing it now, so give me a few.

I'll let you know how it goes shortly.

Cheers!

Well, I removed all the hotfixes/updates, the only thing I left in to install was IE7 and WMP11. Suffice it to say, it didn't work. Seems like we're running out of things to try...

Well, I removed all the hotfixes/updates, the only thing I left in to install was IE7 and WMP11. Suffice it to say, it didn't work. Seems like we're running out of things to try...

Can you upload LastSeason.ini for this attempt?

Cheers ;)

Zayne, you need to remove "Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process" from your tweaks. This exposes a Windows bug. You can see if that's your problem (without rebuilding/installing) by going into Folder Options (under Control Panel) and un-check "Launch folder windows in a separate process". Reboot your machine and see if your themes work OK. I assume by

Suffice it to say, it didn't work.
you mean, your themes are not there and the Theme Service is not running. We have lots of things yet to explore. Please do the un-check I suggested and we'll go from there. Thanks, John.

You are having really strange issue. I told you that NetFramework is the problem because I had the same issue as you and that was my problem. But I was using svcpack method, and RunOnce method, which you are using, solved my problem. You'll have to do various test before we find what is the cause of the problems. Here is what I suggest that you try:

1. Use same last season which I asked you to post, but do not integrate any theme

2. Use same last season which I asked you to post, but do not add NetFramework at all

3. Use same last season which I asked you to post, but do not use any tweaks, disable that page in nLite.

I hope that we will find what's the cause in the tests I suggested. Also, never run nLite on same source twice, you need to do everything in one run.

Cheers ;)

You are having really strange issue. I told you that NetFramework is the problem because I had the same issue as you and that was my problem. But I was using svcpack method, and RunOnce method, which you are using, solved my problem. You'll have to do various test before we find what is the cause of the problems. Here is what I suggest that you try:

1. Use same last season which I asked you to post, but do not integrate any theme

2. Use same last season which I asked you to post, but do not add NetFramework at all

3. Use same last season which I asked you to post, but do not use any tweaks, disable that page in nLite.

I hope that we will find what's the cause in the tests I suggested. Also, never run nLite on same source twice, you need to do everything in one run.

Cheers ;)

I'll give all 3 suggestions a try. I always use a fresh copied source of XP before I use nLite (and I only run nLite once on the same source). I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

Ok, so I gave each individual suggestion a try using a fresh copy of source XP each time and the results are:

1) Failed

2) Failed

3) Failed

I figured suggestion #3 (the tweaks section) might've had something in there checked or unchecked that shouldn't have been, but removing it entirely didn't do anything - the theme service is still not running by default. I'm just about ready to say screw it and manually set it to automatic with every new format because this is getting a bit tedious.

Edited by Zayne

Well in nLite on Tweaks page you can configure every service. Try to put there Automatic.

Cheers ;)

I actually did try that, didn't do anything =P. I have no idea what else is left to do, heh.

Edited by Zayne