nLite issue, need help.

Zayne

Ok, short and sweet - No matter what I've tried, everytime I make a slipstreamed disc, everything installs perfectly (including all my updates & hotfixes, tweaks, etc) EXCEPT the WinXP theme is ALWAYS missing. When it boots up the first time after completing the install, it starts up with the ugly Win98 look and in display properties, it does not even appear in the menu, only windows classic 98.

Does anyone know what's going on? Even when I hit "Insert All Local Themes", only classic shows up in the Display Options. When I leave it on Default in the unattended section (which should translate to WinXP Blue theme) it's still classic. I know, this doesn't hinder normal OS function, but I just can't stand that look and the fact that I've made 3 coasters so far trying to fix this really stupid problem just aggravates me even more.

Anyone that can help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Zayne, did you enable Unsigned Themes Support (Uxtheme patch) under Options-Patches? Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

Zayne, did you enable Unsigned Themes Support (Uxtheme patch) under Options-Patches? Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

I've actually never come across the "Enable Unsigned Themes Support" option, nor have I heard of the Patch. Everytime, before I start nLite, I first make a folder called WinXP on my C:\ drive, and copy all the files on my WinXP Home CD into the folder. Then, I make a copy of that folder before I've made any modifications to it (so that if something goes wrong, I can delete WinXP and rename the unmodified folder to WinXP and so on. I use the WMP11 Integrator to add WMP11, then I only add all the critical security updates and hotfixes since SP2 up until now. I also include IE7 and the .Net Framework addon pack.

I've also attached Last Session.ini.

Thanks in advance.

Last_Session.ini

I have seen that, but isn't the WinXP theme supposed to be the main theme for XP? It should be default automatically. I do see this window, but do I still need to download that Uxtheme patch or whichever? That picture shows that option as grayed out as well.

Zayne, you are pushing way too hard. Unsigned Themes Support (Uxtheme patch) is simply the name of the option as shown in the screen shot from g-force. We are trying to tell you to Enable this option and see what results you get. Also, WMP11 Slipstreamer is built into nLite and you only need to place the WMP11 installer into the hot fix section. The option is grayed out in g-force's shot because he is running a Preset and a source that already has the option selected and nLite is telling him so. A quick look at your hot fixes shows the installer for IE7 last. I suspect your hot fixes are not in order. Usually the IE7 installer is first, but it at least must be followed by any IE7 updates. I also suspect this is the source of your strange behavior not the option. But, you should still use the option in case one or more of your themes are not signed. To save making coasters, I recommend a virtual system such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox or VMware Server - all free. Enjoy, John.

Zayne, you are pushing way too hard. Unsigned Themes Support (Uxtheme patch) is simply the name of the option as shown in the screen shot from g-force. We are trying to tell you to Enable this option and see what results you get. Also, WMP11 Slipstreamer is built into nLite and you only need to place the WMP11 installer into the hot fix section. The option is grayed out in g-force's shot because he is running a Preset and a source that already has the option selected and nLite is telling him so. A quick look at your hot fixes shows the installer for IE7 last. I suspect your hot fixes are not in order. Usually the IE7 installer is first, but it at least must be followed by any IE7 updates. I also suspect this is the source of your strange behavior not the option. But, you should still use the option in case one or more of your themes are not signed. To save making coasters, I recommend a virtual system such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox or VMware Server - all free. Enjoy, John.

Oh, sorry for the confusion, when you said "patch", I figured it was something I needed to download and insert into nLite. I was also unaware you could insert the WMP11 installation package into the hotfix section without having to use the integrator as well (reading reports from others made me arrive at this conclusion - perhaps it was with an older version of nLite). I'll also have re-arrange the hotfixes and put IE7, WMP11 and .Net Framework first. I'll give it a shot in VirtualBox and see what happens.

Cheers!

Zayne, the .NET is OK if there are no updates to it in the section - always put updates in order released my MS, starting at the top with the first after the your last SP. Curious, why are you not including SP3? I should have said that nLite simply detects the WMP11 installer and runs WMP11 Slipstreamer. This feature was added a couple of releases ago. Enjoy, John.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go through the hotfixes and sort by date. I set IE7 first, followed by WMP11 then .Net Framework Addon Pack.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Edited by Zayne

Oh by the way, you mentioned that the latest version of nLite already has the WMP11 Slipstreamer, so all you have to do is insert the WMP11 installer into the hotfixes section, but during the integration, a message popped up telling me to install "WMP11 Slipstreamer", found here - http://www.boooggy.org/slipstreamer/. Is this the proper way or is nLite supposed to be able to do this by default?

P.S - I tried to slipstream Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool, but it's apparently not accepted. I'm assuming there's a specific way to do this as well?

Thanks again.

Edited by Zayne

Zayne, sorry about the WMP11 Slipstreamer. I see a copy of it in my nLite folder in Program files folder and assume it would run from there, but, not so. So please install it and then nLite will process your WMP11 installer. I can't find a DL for the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool. Please post a link so I can DL it and see about how it works. Thanks, John.

I have the WGA installer on my drive, I'm pretty sure I found it on Microsoft Download Center somewhere - I'd attach it here if I could, but it's around 900k. Here's the link tot he closest thing I found:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...eb-11c35a249d7a

On another note, I'm using VMWare to try out the slipstreamed disc.... although again having issues (mainly the OS not showing up at all in the main window, though it says it's powered on).

Cheers.

I always modify my nLite-SFX, so it contains the Booogy-Slipstreamer.

Also the SFX installs to it`s own folder to be able to use more than one nLite-version.

Just test it, it slipstreams the WMP11 without any problems.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by g-force

Zayne, the file you pointed me to does not have a /integrate:path switch so it can't be integrated. You can install it out of the RunOnce exit of Unattended section using the /Q switch for a quiet install. If you will run the file you have in a command prompt with the /? switch, you can see the available switches. I also run VMware Server, so give me some details (screen shot) and I'll see if I can help. Enjoy, John.

On another note, I'm using VMWare to try out the slipstreamed disc.... although again having issues (mainly the OS not showing up at all in the main window, though it says it's powered on).

Problem with vmware workstation. I assume you are using latest version...

Revert to old version 6.0 or so.

Edited by Angelico_Payne