Need a New Graphics Card

computerwizkid

No. That card won' physically fit. And first, you'd still need a new power supply (which again, you just might have to get a new case for).

So, your hopping list:

-new case so the card and PSU fit inside, like say, an Antec 300 (cheap and good), $55 or so

-new decent power supply, to handle the demand, starting around $50

-new video card, to play new games at decent settings, perhaps a Radeon 4770 or 4830 at ~$100

Most of which you won't find at Dell's site.

You might as well buy yourself a 360, as it'll likely be cheaper (Dell also sells that).

As I said,I can't sell it or put the components in a new tower.It's my parents pc.

But,How bout this??

This link is from a topic on dell community forums,whos in my situation.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1826

Its says it is not in stock so i got to find it where it is in stock.

Keep me updated!

Edited by computerwizkid

The 9500 isn't much of a gamer's card. As for the 8600, forget about it... Just google for benchmarks and you'll see. You won't really find many half-height cards (newegg only has 7)

Nevermind that any worthwhile card will require a new power supply.

That card would fit, if it comes with the other bracket.

Is it better than what you got? Yes, but is it worth upgrading to? Not really. I'm a total non-gamer, and I got rid of one... Sucked too much.

edit: the pics show the other brackets.

what do u mean "other bracket"?
Low profile bracket for that video card.
That card would fit, if it comes with the other bracket.
Well, yes, but the pictures show a 64bit memory PCB and teh 8600GT is 128bit, so, no go.

But then, I see this, :blink: , a few layers of PCB extra?

---

The best I can find in the shops is an ATI HD4650 for around 65-80USD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does it require to be plugged into the ps or do i need to just plug it in the pci slot and im done.

im bout to get it since my games have been lagging and other people say this card is similar to the 9500gt.From experience,is it easy to install?

Does it require to be plugged into the ps or do i need to just plug it in the pci slot and im done.

im bout to get it since my games have been lagging and other people say this card is similar to the 9500gt.From experience,is it easy to install?

No, all of the power comes through the PCI-e slot and does not need to be plugged into the PSU. I would actually recommend going to the HD 4650 or 9500GT as they are way more powerful! The 9500GT is almost twice as powerful as the HD 4550 and I do not know where you got the benchmarks from puntoMX as close should be within 25% and not within 50% of performance :}

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3420&p=5

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/801/1/ (look at these benchmarks!)

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/hd4550/ (here the 8600GTS beats the HD4550 hands down and the 9500GT is more powerful or as powerful as the 8600GTS in most cases)

Go figure ;)

Edited by Zenskas

Well you would need to get a low profile 9500GT or HD 4650 but it would be worth it as they are much more powerful than the 4550 yet probably do not cost a lot more in the US. As a bonus, the HD 4650 or 9500GT do not actually use much more power than your current card so you do not need a PSU upgrade, yet get a four times faster card!

Edited by Zenskas