Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi!

I need some help, too.

at first, sorry for my bad english. Im from Germany, if you want to know.

Problem: Hyperterminal under Win XP is very slow, and most of time it does nothing, or sends errors to screen, unfortunality it looks like egypt hyroglyphes.

In the beginning, it needs al lot of STRG-Z's to get the first prompt, where i can Type my "/2", if i had doen this, and pressed ENTER, the cursor only goes to beginning of line, and then... nothing. eventually there comes a lot of Error, i cant read it really, cause it looks senseless.

Equipment:

this adapter from Artekit/italy: http://www.artekit.eu/products/accessories/ak-rs232/

Backlooptest OK.

Powersource for the TTL-Adapter: at first USB-Charging Supply (HTC MobilePhone) with USB-2-Pole-Cable (Checked with Multimeter: 4,5-5V),

at second 1 CR2023-Battery (3V), effektivly circa 2,7V

PC: Pentium4, 1GB, Windows SP 32-bit

Powersource for the HDD: the extern-Power-Supply from my HDD-Adapter SATA-to-USB

and, of course, the seagate HDD (if got 2 of them, but only 1 is important with Data)

If i let the Paper away from motor-contacts, the motor runs, and i got the wished errormessage.

Can anyone tell me, what i did wrong?

I am afraid about every help, tipp and trick!

Thanks, and greetings,

Casalla

Hello all,

First, thank you for compiling such a complete thread on this topic. My wife is a photographer and had a 7200.11 bricked right now (and I think) because of this issue. None of our PCs will recognize the disk (in BIOS).

I am a complete layperson when it comes to doing anything with electronics (other than slapping together a desktop). To be honest, I am also quite short on time to do such a repair. Does anyone on this board, who has done this job before and has the proper tools, offer their services to others to "unbrick" these drives so we may get our data off?

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it in the Read This sticky or about 30 pages of this thread.

Thanks,

Roy

Actually such kind of "service offers" (and consequently - though indirectly - corresponding requests) are conflicting with Rule #13:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

You haven't got a friend more familiar with electronics?

Or have in the neighbourhood a shop that repairs cellular phones (who normally already has the converter and can follow the guide easily)?

jaclaz

Problem: Hyperterminal under Win XP is very slow, and most of time it does nothing, or sends errors to screen, unfortunality it looks like egypt hyroglyphes.

In the beginning, it needs al lot of STRG-Z's to get the first prompt, where i can Type my "/2", if i had doen this, and pressed ENTER, the cursor only goes to beginning of line, and then... nothing. eventually there comes a lot of Error, i cant read it really, cause it looks senseless.

Can anyone tell me, what i did wrong?

Check GROUNDing! /of which you made NO mention)

READ the read-me-first:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

AND the FGA's:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/147532-fga-for-the-seagate-720011-drives/

That is point #7 in both.

Additionally read:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-153#entry968299

jaclaz

Hi,

THX for your fast Answer!

Jeah, I had read this Pages, and a lot more, but sometimes its so much reading in a "strange language", so the one or other goes away of my simple sense ;-)

Ok, if I understand specially this point #7, I tell it in my simple words:

The Pin "Grnd" at HDD must Conected with one of the black cables from the HDD-Power-Supply (in my Case the external HDD Power Supply i use),

so I got 3 Points of the construction are connected together.

"Grnd Converter">>>>"Grnd HDD">>>>"Black Cable Power supply" is the shematic?

Sorry for my explicit writing and questioning, i want to cut off any Errors and Fails...

I can't see anywhere on Pictures a connection between this contacts, neither at Mapleleaf, nor here, so i wonder, but, if i understand it right now, i can comprehend this necessity...

So i will test it.

I tell my success (or fail) here...

Casalla

AAANNNDDD:

BINGO!!

jaclaz, You are my personal Hero!

THX!

The important HDD is working (the other i had not tested yet), and now i am saving my Data's before i make a Firmware update.

Sad, that the HDD is not booting, but you cant having all at once :-)

I am glad enough i get my datas back!!

THX for all in the Forum, and greetings from Germany,

Casalla

@mathemaddicts:

I know how frightening you are about this work, but i can tell you, if you really do what here is written (and at MappleLeafs- look at the Links in the beginning of the topic - this is a very good explaining!!), you can nearly nothing do wrong (learn from my errors, too ;) )

In german forums are a lot of people they are no electricans, and have repaired her HDD self, with this Sites.

For me it was a hard operation, too, but now i am laughing.

I think, if you dont wont to pay a lot of money (200-300$), and there is no one to help you, you have two options: No Data, or a little bit tinker and the chance to get your Data back.

Be plucky, be thoroughly, and do it step by step. i hope you get your Data back soon! :thumbup

Best wishes,

Casalla

Well !!! Happy 2014 to all

as i see this i have the same issue with Casalla and everything that i have read till now as Jaclaz say pointing to grounding tho i dont understand something vital....

to my case i need to put the black wire from my converter not direclty to my HDD ground pin but i need to put it somewhere else ? in a spare battery at minus ?

this is step 7#

I will repeat myself, you NEED a (black) wire connecting:

the Hard Disk Drive "Ground" pin

the converter "Ground" or 0V pin or connector or wire

the (standard PC) Power Supply black wire OR if a battery is used, the - (minus) side/pin of it OR if a separate Power Supply is used, it's black wire or 0V pin or 0v/-(minus) connector or anyway wire marked 0v/-(minus) or connected to anything marked 0v/-(minus)/GRN/GND/GROUND

thanks

"Grnd Converter">>>>"Grnd HDD">>>>"Black Cable Power supply" is the shematic?

Casalla

Sorry again but this one mean that i need to place a single wire with a tape to the converter black wire and to the black of the power supply one ? and then put it on the ground of the Hdd ?

Check the Octopus :w00t:

Read starting from here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-153#entry968299

a few posts (the above link has just been re-posted in order to help Casalla1 :whistle: )

up to here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/?p=968346

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@Beezgr:

YES,you need one cable from "HDD-grnd" to "power supply black cable", and one cable from "converter grnd" to "power supply black cable". "converter grnd" is connected with "battery - MINUS", so you must not 'grounding' from "battery - MINUS" to "power supply black cable", you see?

Hope you are successful.

Greetings,

Casalla

aha that is that im doing wrong with grounding then :P ok i will try it and repost !!!

thanks

DEar All,

So, here I go doing the same as all above, yet I cant seem to work out why I am not succeeding.

I Power up the hard drive. wait to press ctrl z so its not too soon, but by the time ive waited 20 seconds, the drive just wants to power down and stop making noises. It produces me with an error that is this

led000000cc faddr 0025bf67

or

led000000ce faddr 0028e24b

depending on whether i try to rush it or not....

please someone help!

James

@silcockj:

I dont know this error-message, but:

Have you ever connected and powered the HDD with the Paper on Motor-contacts? So it shouldnt spin, at first. then, after the reconfigure-Tags, in the rigth Moment, release the Paper, and then the HDD shold be normal powered and run, and is ready for the ending-configure for succesfull repair.

I think (mean, believe..) this error-code is normal, if you connect the HDD without the Paper-Isolation.

And, because that was my great fail: have you all groundings connected? see 3 or 4 toppics above.

Hope, its helpfull,

Carsten