The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Can anyone help at all please, are they now totalled or is there any more tricks out there that might get me to progress with this?

Discussioni on ES2 drives goes on here:

Please DO NOT double post.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I've got a ST3500320AS that just stopped working suddenly. I came to my PC to find "delayed write failed". I reconnected the drive and it didn't recognize at all. Restarted computer and same.

When I plug the power in, the drive spins up, clicks a few times, then motor turns off. No grinding noise. Never been dropped, or knocked over.

The computer does not even acknowledge the drive.

I tore apart the Freeagent Desktop to find this drive inside. It's a SD35 firmware and its got a rectangular board.

I didn't pay close enough attention and kept trying to talk to the drive from RS232 straight and though protocol is same, it requires TTL, so I ordered Nokia CA-42 knock off. Read that one is a hit and miss, so I ordered a proper Maxim IC based RS232 to TTL converter as well.

By a means of using a shim, it says to isolate the contacts to spindle motor on page 6 of this thread. On YouTube, it says to isolate the head/data connection. Which one am I supposed to do?

I didn't pay close enough attention and kept trying to talk to the drive from RS232 straight and though protocol is same, it requires TTL, so I ordered Nokia CA-42 knock off. Read that one is a hit and miss, so I ordered a proper Maxim IC based RS232 to TTL converter as well.

:w00t:

Let's hope you didn't fry the board by connecting a RS-232 "straight" (a RS-232 can have output at more than 4 times the TTL 3.3v level). :ph34r:

Pay GREAT attention!

By a means of using a shim, it says to isolate the contacts to spindle motor on page 6 of this thread. On YouTube, it says to isolate the head/data connection. Which one am I supposed to do?

READ the read-me-first:

It recommends to use THIS guide:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

READ IT (again and again).

You may find a bit like:

(Note: Some guides on the web have suggested insulating the *other* set of contacts (the "head" contacts) you see in the lower left of the above photo to the right. I tried this originally and it didn't work for me but obviously others have had some success with it. In *my* case, with 1TB model drives, I can assure you that insulating the slightly easier to access motor contacts worked where the head contacts method didn't. I suspect the specific model of your drive will account for the varying levels of the results so if one way doesn't work for you, think about trying the other. You'll know to look here if the HyperTerminal session won't allow you to spin down the drive and continues to give you the BSY error in reply - "LED:01...blah blah blah". If you're allowed to spin down the drive, then this bit isn't your issue.)

jaclaz

Hi to all. I have a Seagate Barracuda ST3500320AS.

Before doing a command "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" i did not disconnect power from the drive.

And now this command running 50 minutes without any answer.

Is this normal? If i shutdown the PC, may i lost a data on the drive or lost access to the drive?

I want to retry the commands from begin.

Hi to all. I have a Seagate Barracuda ST3500320AS.

Before doing a command "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" i did not disconnect power from the drive.

And now this command running 50 minutes without any answer.

Is this normal? If i shutdown the PC, may i lost a data on the drive or lost access to the drive?

I want to retry the commands from begin.

Hi parallap,

Don't know if you are till waiting for an answer.., but don't worry, just power down and redo the procedure. See here http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=946795

Tell you later how it works out. :unsure:

Please keep us updated! :hello:

Greetz,

Peter.

Ok, here goes. Just tried it now I have all the details sorted out, and this is how it went. :thumbup:wub:

Need I say more? :D

One ST3500620AS OEM Dell (DE12 Firmware) now "fixed":

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I give the Pololu 23201a Serial Adapter A+++ grade. The price was €9.27 + VAT and shipping (kit, you had to solder it together).

Thanks guys! Keep up the good work/advice. :thumbup

What firmware did you flash over the DE12 firmware?

Wondering if anyone can help?

Bought all the relevant parts for the drive but just need to solder, and not sure what to solder where?

Took some close ups of the R232 to TTL as it has a jumper underneath it and slightly different.

Also am pretty sure I can use sound cables instead of the normal nokia cable but just need guidence from here.

I don't have or couldn't get hold of any pins to go on the end of the hard drive but am happy to solder direct as long as I know what to solder.

Here are my pics and if u need more just shout.

The drive is Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 and it powers up but does not detect in cmos and i need to get the info off here.

Your forum is awesome and help greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbup

post-325364-0-87849800-1306868697_thumb.

post-325364-0-95150600-1306868698_thumb.

post-325364-0-07587000-1306868700_thumb.

post-325364-0-28560400-1306868701_thumb.

post-325364-0-60726200-1306868702_thumb.

You want to solder a pin (or directly a wire) to:

• Tx (out)
  • Rx (In)
  • GND (-)
  • VCC (+)

DO NOT EVEN THINK of soldering on the hard disk side! :realmad:

Read here:

WHERE did you get that adapter from?

It should have come with instructions about the use (if any) of the jumper, as well as the actual Voltage needed to power it up, and the actual TTL level it is compatible with.

I can read "TRONIX" on it.

If you are going to use an USB port, why did you go through the extra long path of USB->RS232->TTL?

This would have been simpler:

http://www.tronisoft.com/prod.php?id=2468

and IT IS a 3.3 V TTL level cable.

If the one you get is this one:

http://www.tronisoft.com/prod.php?id=4205

it's ok.

If it's this one:

http://www.tronisoft.com/prod.php?id=4202

it won't work for the Seagate drive.

Anyway the above page should contain links to the respective user manuals (or contact TRONIX to have them).

jaclaz

The adapter seems to be able to do either 5V or 3.3V, so it should work. The jumper appears to short out Rx and Tx, thus testing Loopback, Remove when connecting to your hdd.

Also am pretty sure I can use sound cables instead of the normal nokia cable but just need guidence from here.

The Nokia cable is used instead of the converter, so you do need to worry about that as you already have a converter. The audio cable will work as connection, otherwise try the method jaclaz suggested.

The adapter seems to be able to do either 5V or 3.3V, so it should work.

The "right" one:

http://www.tronisoft.com/prod.php?id=4205

does 3.3V and 5V, you know, like:

• +3.3V or +5V signals levels at the TTL level.
  • Single 3.3V or 5V supply required via header.

the "wrong" one:

http://www.tronisoft.com/prod.php?id=4202

ONLY 5 V, you know, like:

• +5V signal levels at the TTL level.

:whistle:

Sometimes I have the feeling that noone actually READs what I write, just like it happens with the "read-me-first". :angel

jaclaz

I was trying to say that his adapter is marked as 3.3 V AND 5V in his photo, thus it is the "right" adapter.newwink.gif

Sometimes I have the feeling that noone actually READs what I write...biggrin.gif

I was trying to say that his adapter is marked as 3.3 V AND 5V in his photo, thus it is the "right" adapter.newwink.gif

Sometimes I have the feeling that noone actually READs what I write...biggrin.gif

Sure :), since you fail to write it. (and you must have a d@mn bigger screen I have right now, but the fact that near an empty pad on a PCB you can read 3.3 AND 5 doesn't mean anything IMHO)

After a closer look, you are right :thumbup , but for the wrong reasons :whistle: , the actual 4205 with the 05 written with a pen should mean:

1. that it is the right adapter (you are right)
  2. that the PCB of the 3.3V and of the 5V are the same (you are right by pure chance, as you mentioned a completely wrong reason for it) :lol:

jaclaz