The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

My question, is the tutorial on the first page of this thread the one to follow?

The tutorial on the first page is still the only one you'll need; you could use the link

provided by BetKing above if you're looking for another layout of the instructions, but

they're basically identical. ;)

Greetz,

Peter.

Thanks Peter. I found the tutorial BetKing posted before, it looks more detailed and has pictures so I'll probably try using that one.

Little problem to start off with though, my Seagate drive is in a LaCie enclosure:

2jfyalu.jpg

33cqdso.jpg

So I'm going to need to remove the drive, yes? What is the circuit board you can see, is that LaCie or Seagate? Will it come out ok, because both the power and USB data cable of the external HD go into the side where that circuit board is...

Sorry! :blushing:

Greg.

So I'm going to need to remove the drive, yes? What is the circuit board you can see, is that LaCie or Seagate? Will it come out ok, because both the power and USB data cable of the external HD go into the side where that circuit board is...

Sorry! :blushing:

Greg.

yes, you will have to remove the drive. You should see a separate PCB attached to the HDD once you remove it from the enclosure. The board that is visible should be LaCie's. Of course, you will not know until you actually disassemble the enclosure.

Hmmm... well the problems might look similar, but doesn't necessairy have to be the same... :unsure:

The procedure was written for and tested with Seagate 7200.11 drives with SD15 firmware and

while Maxtor now is property of Seagate, it doesn't automatically mean you can use the same

commands and/or parameters on Maxtor (or any other) drives or firmware-versions.

I'm not aware of any similarities or differences between Seagate 7200.11 and Maxtor DiamondMax

drives, so I can't help you on that one, I'm afraid :no:

Greetz,

Peter.

no i'm sure every command are similar between Maxtor and Seagate but must be a something wrong!!! i think hardware because even i could do G-List command but just SMART comand it show that error!

2 questions:

1. i dont have laptop so i did that by one PC so RS232toTTL and HDD conections all conected to one PC, does it make any problem?

2. how can i find out heads working fine?

Edited by imiimi

Will it come out ok, because both the power and USB data cable of the external HD go into the side where that circuit board is...

Yes, like Mundy noted, just remove the entire drive from the cabinet (it probably

is held to the plastic by 2 or 4 screws on the other side) and it will come off

from the USB <-> SATA PCB you'll see at the bottom of your pics. ;)

no i'm sure every command are similar between Maxtor and Seagate but must be a something wrong!!!

Could be: those are your words and I'm not a Seagate technician, so you *could* be right... :unsure:

1. i dont have laptop so i did that by one PC so RS232toTTL and HDD conections all conected to one PC, does it make any problem?

I also used a normal desktop PC (well actually it was a ThinClient running Win 98SE)

to unbrick mine, so it doesn't really matter what type of system you're using.

You could even use an old Digital VT100 terminal for doing the un-bricking :rolleyes:

post-277568-127239437257_thumb.jpg

Just don't attach the SATA-data connector while performing the un-brick procedure! :no:

2. how can i find out heads working fine?

You could perform some tests on the drive while in diagnostics mode (thus with only the RS232-

cable connected), but I'm not really sure what parameters need to be used with what commands... :blushing:

At your own risk of course, see the documentation of the commands here: Seagate Diagnostic Commands

More in-depth tests can be performed with SeaTools for DOS (just burns as a bootable CD-ROM),

but for this to work, the drive may not be in BSY-mode.

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

Howdy! New member here.

I have a friends Seagate ST3500320AS that has apparently bricked (not detected in BIOS). I installed it in his computer some time ago, but don't rightly remember if I flashed the firmware or not. (I bought the same drive at the same time, and I flashed mine and another friends, so I think I did his too.)

I have tried swapping the board on the drive with mine, and the BIOS does see it. However it reports a secondary master drive error, and a drive size of 0MB. OS does not see it at all.

My questions are: does this sound like the LBA/firmware issue? Does swapping the board on a LBA error'd drive resolve the issue, or do I have to attempt 'the fix'.

Thanks!

does this sound like the LBA/firmware issue?

Yep

Does swapping the board on a LBA error'd drive resolve the issue,

Nope

or do I have to attempt 'the fix'.

Yep

:rolleyes:

First do the BSY/SMART erase-fix

F3 1>N1

After that, connect the drive in the usual way again and see whether it is recognized

in the BIOS and if it's seen as a 500GB drive.

If so: it should show up as a valid drive in your operating system (ie. Windows)

If not: disconnect the drive again from SATA, reconnect to diagnostics-port (RS232 TLL)

and do the LBA0-fix

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

After the drive is revived again: backup all (most important) files of the drive and do a drive test

using SeaTools for DOS (just download and burn to a CD-ROM).

Reboot your system from this CD and perfom a Short- and/or Long DST-test: they most likely

come up with some error-code (make a note of this code).

Start a new RMA at Seagate's support centre and have the drive swapped.

If you decide to continue using the drive as is (whether with updated firmware or not), you do it

entirely at your own risk and you might need to do these fixes again in about 18 months time.

Greetz,

Peter.

@ VideoRipper

thanks, i'll test new commands.

yesterday i find out how N1 command will work in my case, i should first use m0,2,2,,,,,22 and after that N1 will work! and show something like this:

"SMART Cleaned"

but i didnt fix anything.

it made me angry and i use m0,,,,,,,22 and it formated 100% in 163min!!! but after that still my drive doent work.

u think my data is still there!?

I have a Seagate Barracuda HDD with the following specifications:

Family: 7200.12

Model: ST3250318AS

Size: 250Gbytes

P/N: 9SL131-300

Firmware: CC44

When I looked in the BIOS model, saw that my Seagate HDD was recognized as 0MB and 0LBA!!

I have tried with china PC 3000; with dku5

but failed

someone please help me?

Hi Guys

I have a bricked SEAGATE 7200.11 hdd.

Model : ST31000340AS

FW: SD04

I have followed this guide to recover the hdd but now the drive is able to detect in the bios but appears in windows as "ST3_INVALID PATA"

All attempts at recovery with R-studio have failed with I/O errors.

This is a copy of the hyperterminal screen below.

Is there anyway to restore the drive or does the I/O errors mean its not a simple fw fix?

Thanks in advance!!

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.149 msecs

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 31.675 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 2.171 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

FlashLED - Failure Code:000000ee Failure Address:0022dca0

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,22

Invalid Diagnostic Command

F3 T>

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T>

and it formated 100% in 163min!!! [...]

u think my data is still there!?

Doing the partition regeneration (F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22) *should* only take about 15~30 seconds :unsure:

I don't know whether your data is still on the drive or if it still can be retrieved... :}

Your guess is as good as mine.

Family: 7200.12

Firmware: CC44

[...]

When I looked in the BIOS model, saw that my Seagate HDD was recognized as 0MB and 0LBA!!

I have tried with china PC 3000; with dku5 but failed

Nobody should ever buy or use PC3000 from China, since it's a fake and will give you more

trouble than it would do you any good (for as far as I followed the experiences of other

deceived users around the internet).

Your LBA0-problem looks similar to the one on 7200.11 drives, so you might want to follow

the instructions found on the first page of this thread, but since these were written for

7200.11 drives using SD15 firmware, a guarantee can not be given. :no:

FW: SD04

I don't know for sure if the procedures for unbricking an SD15 drive also applies to SD04 drives,

but I guess they would/could/should... :unsure:

but appears in windows as "ST3_INVALID PATA"

"INVALID PATA" or "INVALID DATA"? :wacko:

...anyway: never believe what Windows tells you: this is always rule #1 :whistle:

What does your BIOS say at boot-time?

Does it show a valid drive name and size?

See what SeaTools for DOS tells you when you run some tests on the drive.

You can also invoke a CTRL+L command (in diagnostics) which will show you

some information of the drive:

ATA St 80 Er 01 Op 00 0 000000000000, 0000 0001 0000
Ts(ms) dT(ms) xT(ms) Type Option Mode St EC Info
24857 8 4 02 002421 000000 1 00000080 XFR WR SYS LBA B 000278CD L 0000000A BO 000000 BES 0059D00.005A1FF.0059D00
M13T2 TetonST 2.0 SATA Moose Gen3.0(RAPfmt10)w/sdff(RV)
Product FamilyId: 27, MemberId: 04
HDA SN: 9QM5X2HY, RPM: 7206, Wedges: 108, Heads: 4, Lbas: 3A386030, PreampType: 6D 23
PCBA SN: 0000C904RGA8, Controller: TETONST_2(639D)(3-0E-3-5), Channel: AGERE_COPPERHEAD_LITE, PowerAsic: MCKINLEY ENTERPRISE Rev 04, BufferBytes: 2000000
Package Version: MS010C.SDD1.AQ1700.SD1A , Package P/N: 100556321, Package Builder ID: F1,
Package Build Date: 01/22/2009, Package Build Time: 15:50:55, Package CFW Version: MS01.SDD1.00139388.F100,
Package SFW1 Version: C0FF, Package SFW2 Version: B100, Package SFW3 Version: ----, Package SFW4 Version: ----
Controller FW Rev: 01221550, CustomerRel: SD1A, Changelist: 00139388, ProdType: MS01.SDD1, Date: 01/22/2009, Time: 155055, UserId: 00391559
Servo FW Rev: C0FF
RAP FW Implementation Key: FF, Format Rev: 0092, Contents Rev: 15 09 11 11
Features:
- Quadradic Equation AFH enabled
- VBAR with adjustable zone boundaries enabled
- Volume Based Sparing enabled
- IOEDC enabled
- IOECC enabled
- DERP Read Retries enabled
- LTTC-UDR2 compiled off

(Above is the result of my "Certified Repaired HDD" 7200.11 ST3500320AS drive with SD1A firmware)

This is a copy of the hyperterminal screen below.

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 31.675 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 2.171 secs

[...]

F3 1>/
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,22
Invalid Diagnostic Command

[...]

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

The procedure you did *looks* alright, but I've also noticed that you were a bit sloppy

while entering the commands and parameters, so maybe you've missed something... :unsure:

I also don't like the first "Spin up" error.

Is there anyway to restore the drive or does the I/O errors mean its not a simple fw fix?

I/O errors are never a good sign, especially with a firmware fix like described in this

thread, so it *might* be your actual problem :(

Greetz,

Peter.

Hello to everyone:

I have read many posts and have been trying to solve this issue without success. I need your help:

I have a Maxtor Diamond 22 500 Gb Sata drive. No unusual noises, etc. It just stopped being recognized at all.

It powers up fine and after many days reading I conclude that it is BSY...

So This is how far I have come:

I hooked a USB to SERIAL cable to my USB port on my desktop. This cable comes with drivers which I installed succesfully. When I plug the cable Cin XP detects it (even if nothing is attached to it).

I then connect a Female RS232 Cable to the tip of the cable described. (The female cable I cut and spliced the cables).

Using a tester with continuity I found the RX , TX and Ground pins on the female tip, and labeled the corresponding spliced cables.

I went to Hyperterminal and tried a loopback test, which worked. I hold the TX and RX cable together , type in the screen and I get characters on the screen (same ones I Type)

I tested the ground pin with continuity from the metal part in the USB connected to the computer and the spliced cable comming out of the RS232 cable. All other minicables within the RS232 I just moved out of the way)

So I have identified all three cables needed: RX, TX and Ground

Tearing apart some mini sound cables I managed to connect the 3 required cables on the jumper pins os my SATA drive.

I took out the Jumper that comes from factory default,

Inserted a cable with a female tip into PIN 2 (for Ground)

Inserted a cable with a female tip into pin 3 (for TX)

Inserted a cable with a female tip into pin 4 (for RX)

All female tips were crimped a bit so that connections were snug and tight.

A small amount of electric tape prevents them from making contact with each other.

I am using an ATX power supply, with a bent paperclip shorting a Green Cable with a Black Cable in order to have it a stand alone power source (not needing a Motherboard).

I have plugged the SATA power cable from the ATX Power Supply into the Hard Disk in repair.

The Hard Drive's PCM was removed, a Card was set in the right place (following Graius'instructions), then screwed back on with a TORX 8 tool

I connected the (USB-SERIAL CABLE)---->(FEMALE RS232 CABLE)----->(HARD DISK PINS 2,3,4)

I tried connecting G->G RX->TX TX->RX (following instructions)

So everything seemed set. I powered the Hard Drive by turning on the ATX Power Supply.

Drive Spun for a few seconds, waited for it to quiet down....

I went into hyperterminal

Selected the COM Port in which the USB-Serial Cable was detected.

Then chose 38400,N,8,No etc (as described)

The Terminal screen popped up

I type Ctrl + z =====Nothing!

I Changed Properties/ Windows Key

Tried CTRL+ z =====Nothing

Tried CTRL + Z (uppercase) ==== NOTHING

I flipped Tx and RX cables === then pressed Ctrl +z : Nothing !

I connected the Ground cable not only to the USB-Serial cable's Ground, But ALSO to the ATX power's supply Ground... CRTL Z =NOTHING

I checked for loose connections - checked twice then again - STILL NOTHING

What am I doing wrong?

Some people are using Serial to TTL, others USB to TTL, others CA42 Nokia cable.

I assumed my connections would work because I am getting the loopback test, I am getting a com port recognized by win XP

I see that some cables require a 3v battery to be attached by I assumed that this is only if the cable itself wasnt detected by windows because it was not auto-powered. Is it correct to assume that I dont need the 3v or 5v power supply for the cable since it DETECTS the cable "äs is"

without any device being attached to it???

Although the title of this thread is SEAGATE drives... I am using Maxtor (which is the same now as seagate)

I live outside the US and wouldnt want to order parts without being sure that my problem is exactly identified.

Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?- I just want to recover my data from this drive and then throw it away!

I CANT GET the prompt after CTRL +Z ..

THANKS!

Erm... the drive needs RS232 (the protocol) at TTL-levels, not at RS232-levels :wacko:

TTL-levels are either 3.3V or 5V to ground, not the +12V to -12V RS-232 gives you (in fact

RS-232 levels can go as high as +-25V, if I recall correctly).

That's why the 3V battery is used with some convertors, not for detecting a used USB-device,

but to give the convertor the correct levels needed.

I'm hoping you didn't blow up your PCB :unsure:

Edited by VideoRipper

I dont think I blew my PCM. Dont Worry... I am not using any power source, just t he Ground cable on pin2 of the drive remember?

I am powering the sata drive, via sata power cabel, via ATX power supply

I also forgot to mention, that I have an identical maxtor drive with same capacity and firmware (both bought the same day) qhich is good and working. I tried switching the PCMs and neither drive worked. Furtehermore both drives clicked a bit while using the each other's boards.

Since I got no results I switched them back. The good drive worked fine. The other one went back to being a brick. No clicking, just smooth spinnig.

So no harm done.

I know that the data is there, but I just cant get to it due to this terrible mistake from the factory.

Any other observations with my setup?Would you recommend for me to purchase any specific parts to try again?

Thanks for your fast reply!