Windows Search 4.0 for XP

Geej

Windows Search 4.0 (WS4) - Silent Installer

WindowsSearch-KB940157-XP-x86-ENU.exe

This is a silent installer made to run via HFGUIRUNONCE.

Installer Filename: WS4-KB940157-XP-x86-enu.exe

5.43MB

MD5:F6071D26F6721E0E75FC7FA8D68B8939

Switch use: /Q /Norestart

Uninstallable: Yes

Tested on hfslip-1.7.8

dloadnowwi6.png

More info can be found here

==

Latest: Use Rick's RMV pack to intergrate at T13 instead (HFAAO). No tweaks required.

==

Notice RMV pack does not have uninstall feature in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

==

Tested again on 1 Jan 09: Reg tweak at T13 not required when run via HFGUIRUNONCE

==Edit: add on 9 Feb 09 ===

You can convert to RunOnceEx (instead of HFGUIRunOnce) using HFEXPERT\AUTOIT Folder. Advantage is : Run from your CD source + visual indication

Put these 2 files in HFEXPERT\AUTOIT folder (3rd file, AutoIt3.exe is required in order to use AUTOIT folder):

1) WDSRnOnceEx.au3

2) WS4-KB940157-XP-x86-enu.exe (remove from HFGUIRunOnce if any)

--3) requires AutoIt3.exe (as well). Can download the autoit program in self-extracting form (ZIP) and put only AutoIt3.exe in this folder

Sample Screenshot during RunonceEx:

ws40tw8.png

Edited by Geej

HFSlip can integrate this hotfix easily, the only reason it does not work like I explained is the service is not created...one has to use INF or SC.EXE to create the service then true integration works perfect

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=808807

Like I said you guys are free to use my INF so the search can be fully integrated

Rick, could u show how to create the service as u mention so that user can also use your addon?

==

found to work with RMV package

Console command is : sc config termservice start= auto

Tested on VM ok

Edited by Geej

Can you use the REG file to autostart this service in hfsvcpack instead?

Haven't tried with this combination yet.

So far, I have tried

1) REG file with silent switch (all in hfsvcpack) & WDS is not installed at all.

2) just nlite version, not installed at all (even with cmd command at hfsvcpack)

3) 1st post method (REG file in hfsvcpack & silent switch via HFGUIRunonce) works.

If using REG file in hfsvcpack, to be effective, it requires reboot to takes effect. Hence can only works in HFGUIRunonce

4) CMD command in hfsvcpack + silent switch in hfsvcpack also don't work at all.

5) CMD command in hfsvcpack + RMV pack works

I'll try to test again in VM as per your suggestion when I get the time. (Anyone wish to test r welcome:-))

BTW, I don't use WDS. All test are done on VM only. No real install. I try to provide what works since I comes across hfusers having problem integrating this piece of software.

Lastly, Merry Christmas to everyone.

smileyxmaslightsbytoni4ir1.gif

I use INF to create the service (but I guess you can use sc.exe also to create it)

If hfslip uses a OCEntry to AddReg, CopyFiles and stuff you can also AddService to the same Optional Components Section and have the service created...so when hfslip detects the hotfix it can add a couple more lines to the inf to create the service like:

[Optional Components]
OCEntryName

[OCEntryName]
OptionDesc=...
Tip=...
Modes=0,1,2,3
CopyFiles=...
AddReg=...
AddService=WSearch,0x00000010,WSearch_Install

[WSearch_Install]
DisplayName=Windows Search
Description="Provides content indexing and property caching for file, email and other content (via extensibility APIs). The service responds to file and email notifications to index modified content. If the service is stopped or disabled, the Explorer will not be able to display virtual folder views of items, and search in the Explorer will fall back to item-by-item slow search."
ServiceType=0x10
StartType=0x2
ErrorControl=0x01
ServiceBinary=%11%\SearchIndexer.exe /Embedding
StartName="LocalSystem"
Dependencies=TermService
AddReg=WSearch_Registry

[WSearch_Registry]
HKR,,"FailureActions",0x1,80,51,01,00,01,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,6e,00,64,00,01,00,00,00,30,75,00,00,01,00,

The service DisplayName and Description may differ from language to language so you may want to check that out

Edited by ricktendo64

Can you use the REG file to autostart this service in hfsvcpack instead?

Using REG file also able to intergrate RMV pack.

Which leads me to think whether RMV pack can be integrate at T13 w/o any tweak. So I did another test.

==> Found able to integrate w/o any tweak. Works right out of the box. (Place RMV version in HFAAO) :thumbup

Since WDS takes up a big space in the taskbar, u can consider Tray Pilot Lite to go with it. (Even though u can right-click taskbar->Toolbars-> and uncheck WDS)

Screenshot

wdstpldk0.png

Looking at Rick's srchasst.inf & Entries_Windows_Search.ini, I think it requires a great effort and great inf-knowledge to build this true addon. :thumbup

Note: It is uninstallable as it is not listed in Add/Remove Programs (edited on 29/12/08)

Edited by Geej

• 1 month later...